• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Does Taylor Phinney still hate doperz?

May 17, 2009
126
0
0
Visit site
issoisso said:
He was a hypocrite. He's still a hypocrite. No change.
Hmm. If only things were so simple.

Recommended reading: "Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts"
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Visit site
samb01 said:
Hmm. If only things were so simple.

Recommended reading: "Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts"

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. But it's a fact. He's a hypocrite.
 
Nov 2, 2009
1,112
0
0
Visit site
What I don't understand about Taylor Phinney's outburst against dopers is that he has a father who must know all, or at least something, about it. Don't you think his dad would have sketched out the realities of professional cycling?
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
What I don't understand about Taylor Phinney's outburst against dopers is that he has a father who must know all, or at least something, about it. Don't you think his dad would have sketched out the realities of professional cycling?

Chances are Taylor Phinneys' naive. I think the same as Greg LeMond was naive until he suspected people were doping. I think that was 1992.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
flicker said:
Chances are Taylor Phinneys' naive. I think the same as Greg LeMond was naive until he suspected people were doping. I think that was 1992.

I agree totally!! I give Taylor a pass...he is a young man...and I'm sure he is growing up quickly.

As I recall, back when Taylor won the Junior WC time trial his dad actually talked with Greg LeMond about doping. The crux of the conversation revolved around what did Davis think about his son going into a profession with the doping issues....of course Phinney senior was concerned. This is when Taylor was still in the Garmin system...it wasn't long afterword that Taylor switched to Livestrong. It is a cruel world...and there are kids on the U23 team that I hope come through this OK. I like being involved in young men and womens cycling and I understand they have dreams and preconceived notions....
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
i think its reasonable to ask taylor if he wants to clarify his position that "he hates dopers though"
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Visit site
Young man in a Twitter age leads to posting dogmatic statements which proves nothing of ones character. Short soundbites are dogmatic in and of themselves regardless

Here come the morality police trying to hold people accountable for 7 words on a hand held...

crotchwaffle, did you pick up Sarah Palins book?
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
1
0
Visit site
joy118118 said:
USA boys believe LA is clean and Vino is dirty.

It will never change until media change.

Very few in these parts are that naive. Vino ****ed up and got caught, yet comes back with the same physical ability. Hmmm.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
can someone rustle up the "Dopers Suck" cap TP wore at the 2009 Track Cycling Worlds, it will be great for posterity that photo. I think he posted it on his twitter, or someone elses, perhaps Velonews had it. CN did not. Dont think TP had a twitter account as of March 2009. Livestrong was not yet going, or was it. May have been.

Few things stand out for young TP, some tweets about how StrongArm had the perfect house and his wonder at the material riches of StrongArm.
 
Taylor tweeted a message of support to "the big boss" last night. Very disappointing. Hope he doesn't start crying when his entire career is tainted by a link with Armstrong. No-one will believe his achievements are his own.
 
May 13, 2009
3,093
3
0
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Taylor tweeted a message of support to "the big boss" last night. Very disappointing. Hope he doesn't start crying when his entire career is tainted by a link with Armstrong. No-one will believe his achievements are his own.

What a muppet. Likely juiced, too.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
Echoes said:
I know 19 year old guys who were much more mature and clear-minded than he is.

There are younger men who own their own businesses, manage families, and lead men into war. I can't stand the "poor young kid" notion. This guy grew up in cycling, he's no babe in the woods. He has more time in this sport than many pros a decade older than he. His lack of maturity is not due only to age, it's due to his acceptance of certain rules for certain riders.
 
mature?

Echoes said:
I know 19 year old guys who were much more mature and clear-minded than he is.

Jesus, this kid (below) is more mature and clear-minded than Phinney (and he's got what looks like four banana clips taped together!):

sidebox-child-soldier-r1.jpg
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Jesus, this kid (below) is more mature and clear-minded than Phinney (and he's got what looks like four banana clips taped together!):

sidebox-child-soldier-r1.jpg

Young man's ready to take on the haters!

But if he fired that rifle birds would start falling from the sky and his target would stand unscathed in front of him.
 
What's going on, here?

Is it the normal way to do in North America to quote someone and pretend to strongly disagree with him while what he says is exactly the same**? My post is quite clear (I've re-read it to check if there was no typing mistakes !!!).

It was a reaction against earlier posts on this thread of guys who excused the young kid because of his age, which I found staggering. I've befriended with riders who weren't older at the time and they have kept learning me things about the cycling world, particularly in Belgian, with no illusion whatsoever.


**Not exactly because my love for black humour doesn't go quite that far as to laugh about child soldiers ...
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
Visit site
Echoes said:
What's going on, here?

Is it the normal way to do in North America to quote someone and pretend to strongly disagree with him while what he says is exactly the same**? My post is quite clear (I've re-read it to check if there was no typing mistakes !!!).

It was a reaction against earlier posts on this thread of guys who excused the young kid because of his age, which I found staggering. I've befriended with riders who weren't older at the time and they have kept learning me things about the cycling world, particularly in Belgian, with no illusion whatsoever.


**Not exactly because my love for black humour doesn't go quite that far as to laugh about child soldiers ...

Uh...... if you mean me, I was agreeing with you. Quoting you doesn't mean the gloves are coming off and the jersey's being pulled over your head (a North American way to disagree openly). Quoting you can also be a way of showing support for your point.

And IMO, child soldier = tragedy. That photo = a funny way to look at a tragedy.
 
Aug 16, 2009
52
0
0
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Young man's ready to take on the haters!

But if he fired that rifle birds would start falling from the sky and his target would stand unscathed in front of him.

Look closely - is that a yellow wrist band?