• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domenico Pozzovivo appreciation thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
Impressed with Pozzovivo's performance today, he managed to get to the front on the flat part and stay in front during the chaotic roads towards the climb. 3 more days to survive and then its time to shine and win the points + climber + overall classificiation!

Colnago are doing a great job for Pozzo so far. Just a couple more days to survive trouble free and we could be in for a real show :cool:

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I found his style of riding (during Trentino) so cool.
No looking or turning around. Just relaxed and calm face expresion and powerful pedaling. He looked like he is feeling his opponents dropping from his wheel.

yesterday at processo alla tappa,both cunego and basso said that if pozzovivo still goes like this on the mountains he will be unstoppable.

domenico said in one interview that he doesn't see frank schleck and cunego real contenders for the gc.not a surprise,let's be honest.

Does anyone have a HD finish video from today? Or does anyone know who the 2nd Colnago rider was in the crash (first Modolo, 2nd went with his back against the side, not very hard but it looked a like pozzovivo couldnt catch the finish though and now saw a crappy video so dont know if im right)

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I think today was about easing the pressure on himself on the descent and checking out his rivals. Didn't want to waste himself before the next days, but by cranking up the pressure those last 500m, he made sure the others were really feeling it on the descent, so he was less likely to get dropped.

Caruut said:
I think today was about easing the pressure on himself on the descent and checking out his rivals. Didn't want to waste himself before the next days, but by cranking up the pressure those last 500m, he made sure the others were really feeling it on the descent, so he was less likely to get dropped.

Good point. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does. He's always shown in the past that he was going well in the 3rd week of the past Giro's so his ability to produce in the latter stages isn't an issue. I hope he brings the pain!!:D

Angliru said:
Good point. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does. He's always shown in the past that he was going well in the 3rd week of the past Giro's so his ability to produce in the latter stages isn't an issue. I hope he brings the pain!!:D

The problem is that he has already lost a lot of time and is a poor TT rider. The others don't really have to be worried by his attacks unless he goes very early and very hard on a climb. They can afford to lose over a minute and half to him on each of the last two mountain stages and still not get concerned.

That's great for him in terms of possible stage wins, but means that even a great performance from him might not stir the GC contenders to action.

Zinoviev Letter said:
The problem is that he has already lost a lot of time and is a poor TT rider. The others don't really have to be worried by his attacks unless he goes very early and very hard on a climb. They can afford to lose over a minute and half to him on each of the last two mountain stages and still not get concerned.

That's great for him in terms of possible stage wins, but means that even a great performance from him might not stir the GC contenders to action.

While I consider Pampeago to be more his terrain than Stelvio, he is only 3 minutes back, so while he may not be a threat to win the Giro himself, he could certainly be a threat to kill somebody else's chances. And if all goes his way, he could finish on the podium.

Libertine Seguros said:
While I consider Pampeago to be more his terrain than Stelvio, he is only 3 minutes back, so while he may not be a threat to win the Giro himself, he could certainly be a threat to kill somebody else's chances. And if all goes his way, he could finish on the podium.

Oh, I quite agree that he can still make the podium. As can Uran. I don't think that any of the top 4 can be entirely trusted not to crack badly at some point.

I just don't think it's likely that all 4 (or all 5 including Uran, I don't think that we really have to consider Intxausti in this context) of the men above are likely to blow it, which is what he'd need to actually win. There are too many of them.

My dream, just about still conceivable, even though very unlikely, podium would be JRod, Hesjedal, Pozzovivo, with Uran in fourth. In reality, I still rate Basso as the favourite, even though I expected him and Scarponi to be more clearly in command at this point.

The Hitch said:
Now that hes in a wt team Pozzovivo really should just peak for the Vuelta a Murito.

I know it doesn't mean as much to an Italian but its the best race imaginable for him. Not much flat. Lots of sun. Lots of steep finishing climbs.

He was in good form. it's sad he crashed. agree, hm and Betancur could be a force at the Vuelta a Murito and upset Purito.

TRENDING THREADS