Dope era vs. now

Aug 10, 2009
46
0
0
This has probarbly been discussed before, if so please show me where, haven't had any luck finding it.

Which era would you rather watch? Cycling nowadays or the 90's (which is my impression where the use of PED's peaked?)

Personally I got the impression that the peloton has become much more clean nowadays, which I like, but somewhere deep inside I miss seeing records being made (pantani - alpe d'huez), long solo rides, a GC contender fearlessly attacking 70 km out (schleck should some guts last year) etc. All this in moderations, not like when Armstrong climbed Sestriere '99 and shat on everybody.
 
Jun 21, 2012
43
0
0
tobsie said:
This has probarbly been discussed before, if so please show me where, haven't had any luck finding it.

Which era would you rather watch? Cycling nowadays or the 90's (which is my impression where the use of PED's peaked?)

Personally I got the impression that the peloton has become much more clean nowadays, which I like, but somewhere deep inside I miss seeing records being made (pantani - alpe d'huez), long solo rides, a GC contender fearlessly attacking 70 km out (schleck should some guts last year) etc. All this in moderations, not like when Armstrong climbed Sestriere '99 and shat on everybody.
So basically You advocate the use of performance enhancing drugs for your own viewing pleasure. Where is the evidence that the peloton is much cleaner than it was ?
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
tobsie said:
This has probarbly been discussed before, if so please show me where, haven't had any luck finding it.

Which era would you rather watch? Cycling nowadays or the 90's (which is my impression where the use of PED's peaked?)

Personally I got the impression that the peloton has become much more clean nowadays, which I like, but somewhere deep inside I miss seeing records being made (pantani - alpe d'huez), long solo rides, a GC contender fearlessly attacking 70 km out (schleck should some guts last year) etc. All this in moderations, not like when Armstrong climbed Sestriere '99 and shat on everybody.
Which Tour from 1990-2006 was more exciting and entertaining then last years Tour?

Doping = boring, predictable cycling
 
Jul 18, 2010
171
0
0
Seeing one guy totally dominate and reward other riders with wins is no where near as entertaining as not knowing the outcome of any stage and seeing every stage be a real test of strategy, athletic ability and heart with the possibility on any given day of having guys you never heard of turning themselves inside out and crossing the line first.

You can watch www wrestling if you want fabricated spectacle with super human special effects. Where the audience knows whats coming already and shows up to cheer their fake hero as he plays his orchestrated role. I find real sporting competition more exciting.
 
Apr 13, 2010
1,238
0
0
Race Radio said:
Which Tour from 1990-2006 was more exciting and entertaining then last years Tour?

Doping = boring, predictable cycling
The ones not won by either Indurain or Armstrong were not boring - so '90 + '96-'98... :)

(ok, admitted - the constant stopping-all-over-the-place, sitting-down-on-the-road-looking-indignant did get pretty boring during '98)...
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
JPM London said:
The ones not won by either Indurain or Armstrong were not boring - so '90 + '96-'98... :)

(ok, admitted - the constant stopping-all-over-the-place, sitting-down-on-the-road-looking-indignant did get pretty boring during '98)...
Agreed, 98 was not boring because of the chaos and the limited field. So basically 4 out of 17 tours (2003 was good).

Clean riders equal unpredictable results.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
Today. I hardly think today's riding is without excitement. And, there WILL be monster attacks again at some point. We are between "monster" generations at this point - but for excitement, how about DeGendt in the Giro? Everybody but me thinks he was clean - and it was a dynomite attack. What about Tommy Voelckler last year? I loved that - and I think Tommy has always been at least relatively clean.

You could mention Boonen's flyer this year - but I don't think he is clean this year - but that is my opinion. Unlike somebody like Voelckler or Cancellara, Boonen has never been known for flyers. But, it was exciting.
 
Being a wide eyed innocent, I loved cycling in the 90s. Now I look back and just feel I wasted time for three weeks a year watching the TdF. So I prefer the modern era of generally slower climbing, measured efforts, more blowing up and miscalculation.

This year's TdF only has boredom written all over it because of the layout - but two contenders was about all you ever got in the 1990s. If this years TdF peloton were racing over something like last years route and we'd all be licking our lips again with about 5-10 legit contenders for the top step of the podium. I struggle to think of any event in the 1990s that could have been considered so competitive and open.
 

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
1,298
0
0
don't neglect the impact of race radios and riders being remotely controlled from their team cars. Watch Tours from the 80s and before when GC riders would take flyers halfway through stages - like the classic 87 stage to la plagne.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS