• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My guess is athletics is as dirty as cycling. IAAF not interested in finding doping. Be an end to World Records being broken and they cant have that!

This is really, really bad news for the IAAF. Their horrible covering up of all the blood tests is corruption on an immense scale. They did this to protect sponsors and money I'd imagine. Disgusting. What are the bets that the UK top endurance athlete is Mo?

Re:

Brullnux said:
This is really, really bad news for the IAAF. Their horrible covering up of all the blood tests is corruption on an immense scale. They did this to protect sponsors and money I'd imagine. Disgusting. What are the bets that the UK top endurance athlete is Mo?

It's not Mo, quote from the bbc report:
Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.

Re:

Brullnux said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33749208

Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results

Make of it what you will

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
#

BBC Article said:
Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.

Doesn't look like it.

Edit - Too slow on the draw, it seems...

May 25, 2009
Visit site
The only surprising thing is that Farah and Bolt's data is said to not be suspicious.

I'd guess the athlete who Jessica Ennis-Hill lost out to is probably Tatyana Chernova, who was in fact banned for doping following a retest.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
My guess is athletics is as dirty as cycling. IAAF not interested in finding doping. Be an end to World Records being broken and they cant have that!

I would say with confidence that it's dirtier.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
William H said:
The only surprising thing is that Farah and Bolt's data is said to not be suspicious.

I'd guess the athlete who Jessica Ennis-Hill lost out to is probably Tatyana Chernova, who was in fact banned for doping following a retest.

Not that surprising. Money buys better doping programs. This means less of a chance to return positives or suspicious tests.

Bolt and Farah are the Armstrong of athletics. Athletics needs a bombshell of both of them getting busted to clean up its act. Cycling may not be entirely clean, but it's better than it has been. Athletics has a long way to go to clean up its act. I've followed athletics longer than cycling, so I have a little more sensitivity to the sport. Hopefully the authorities aren't afraid of going after the 'money, fame and feel good athletes' and actually bust EVERYONE that cheats.

PremierAndrew said:
Most people have their suspicions about the state of athletics, but strikingly, according to some leaked files from the IAAF, the extent of this in endurance events is shocking, with upto a third of medals won at the World Championships and Olympics between 2001-2012 by athletes with 'suspicious tests', yet none of whom have been stripped of their winnings.

Suspicion isn't the right term. That would suggest there is some degree of uncertainty.

With me and many who are interested in doping, there is no uncertainty. Athletics isn't "suspicious". It is simply a fact that its doped to the gills.

BullsFan22 said:
Bolt and Farah are the Armstrong of athletics. Athletics needs a bombshell of both of them getting busted to clean up its act. Cycling may not be entirely clean, but it's better than it has been. Athletics has a long way to go to clean up its act. I've followed athletics longer than cycling, so I have a little more sensitivity to the sport. Hopefully the authorities aren't afraid of going after the 'money, fame and feel good athletes' and actually bust EVERYONE that cheats.

Unfortunately the TDF this year shows us that even a bombshell of them getting busted wouldn't change anything. A couple of years and the media go straight back to saying all the exact same nonesence as they did before Armstrong was busted. Anyone who dares suggest more suspicion is warranted gets attacked with appauling semi racist rhetoric while scientists with actual degrees have to watch their hard earned qualifications questioned by people who have none.

Its not pretty and there is no panacea

Interesting that Ashenden (who some of us wondered where he had been recently - turns out he was doing this) is one of the experts.

Because Ashenden said something similar about cycling a few years ago. There he also saw very suspicious blood values.
Of course no one picked up on that at the time. To important to sell the myth of Sky era cycling being clean clean cleans.

I also remember JV dismissing Ashenden's findings. Can't remember exactly but I think the general gist of it was - I know Ashenden bla bla bla, like him, bla bla bla but he doesn't know cycling.

Wonder if JV would dismiss AShenden's findings on this too.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
William H said:

inandofitself, meta suspicious, doubly suspicious. Bolt does not need to dope. He is the only one who does not dope in Jamaica. The rest are on the hot sauce

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
Interesting that Ashenden (who some of us wondered where he had been recently - turns out he was doing this) is one of the experts.

Because Ashenden said something similar about cycling a few years ago. There he also saw very suspicious blood values.
Of course no one picked up on that at the time. To important to sell the myth of Sky era cycling being clean clean cleans.

I also remember JV dismissing Ashenden's findings. Can't remember exactly but I think the general gist of it was - I know Ashenden bla bla bla, like him, bla bla bla but he doesn't know cycling.

Wonder if JV would dismiss AShenden's findings on this too.

Ashenden fundamentally misunderstands machine calibration errors.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:

some gordonstoun and muscular christianity and chariots of fire

Re:

Brullnux said:

file.php

The Hitch said:
PremierAndrew said:
Most people have their suspicions about the state of athletics, but strikingly, according to some leaked files from the IAAF, the extent of this in endurance events is shocking, with upto a third of medals won at the World Championships and Olympics between 2001-2012 by athletes with 'suspicious tests', yet none of whom have been stripped of their winnings.

Suspicion isn't the right term. That would suggest there is some degree of uncertainty.

With me and many who are interested in doping, there is no uncertainty. Athletics isn't "suspicious". It is simply a fact that its doped to the gills.

Care to provide a single shred of cold hard evidence?

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Walkman said:
The Hitch said:
PremierAndrew said:

Care to provide a single shred of cold hard evidence?
The fact that world records set by proven dopers in the 90's are being beaten all the time?

William H said:
Blood samples only. Not that many also. 5000 athletes / 12000 tests so 2 - 3 samples per athlete on average. I'd expect plenty of high profile athletes around today who have zero or one blood tests in this study and of course like any dope test it is not difficult to make it appear clean anyway if you know what you are doing. The report will surely vastly understate the true level of blood doping in athletics.

Bought the Times. Makes good reading. Identification of the athlete is gender neutral and script is designed to give no clues away. Dirty races are 2001 to date - 1500, 20km walk, 800 5,000 3k steeplechase, 10k 50k walk heptahlon/decathlon, marathon. So it was somebody in that set.

Useful quotes ".....three occasions in their career the athlete's test results were so "abnormal" that there was only a one in a thousand chance that they were natural. ....One of those scores was recorded just days before winning a major race.
"The athlete firmly states that they "never cheated" and supports calls for more money to be spend on stamping out blood-doping.
"The IAAF put a red mark agains the athlete's name, which experts say should have resulted in folllow-up tests. Several years later the athlete was investigated by the IAAF but it decided not to take any action.
" Was this athlete cheating or was there some explanation for the scores? At the meeting with The Sunday Times in a hotel lobby last week, the athlete swore on the lives of loved ones that they had never blood doped but they did not want their results to be published here in full."

"You print it and I sue you [and] you won't be getting any money back in future like Lance Armstrong - I promise you that."

"Last week the athlete said their score had been elevated because it had been taken when they were dehydrated after winning a race in summer temperatures. "I would have been targeted afterwards. And they didn't come back to me becasue there isn't anythign to show." the athlete said.
"The files show that nine other athletese were also tested after teh same event, yet the British Athelte recorded the highest off-score by some way.
"The experts consulted by the Sunday Times say that dehydration may have a small effect on blodd values, but the British athlete's off-score was 40% higher on the day of the race than in a test taken two days before the race.
"Such a rise in the concentration of red blood cells could have been achieved by an illicit blood transfusion, but this is only a suspicion and certainly not proven by the results.
"one of our experts queried whether the result could be instrument error, but there were 29 other tests with the same device that were at normal levels.
"A second high test several years later did spark an investigation by the IAAF. The British athlete said that 12 experts from the IAAF had viewed the data o these tests and 11 had concluded that the results were consistent with an athlete training at altitude.
"The Sunday times has not seen the 12 experts' assessments, but other experts we have spoken to say that altitude training has only a limited effect on an athlete's blood scores."

There is also a para that states that "Before 2009 the IAAF would not ban any athlete for high blood scores alone and used the only as a guid to whether an athlete should be targeted for urine testing..."

So I think our athlete was active up to 2009. So we have those races and a window 2001 to 2009. And an event in which the field is so large that a total of 10 athletes in that same event which the Brit won were tested. And we have a blind eye turned first and years later a record of a red having been flagged and investigated by the IAAF and dismissed.

Next step all the runners and riders.

However - What was it that Brit director of the IAAF said about the previous leak of PRs data - we did investigate it and there was nothing and it should have stayed in the IAAF safe in Monaco where it belonged. Then he went out and took more snaps of PR with kittens and children (- ok no kittens or children but what other retired athlete who lives in Monaco gets their picture for running a half marathon in Monaco on the International Governing body's web site taken by a director who also lives in Monaco. Protection ! ) and posted them up on the IAAF website.

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Brullnux said:

It's not Mo, quote from the bbc report:
You're right, didn't read that bit and I was just hypothesising

The Hitch said:
PremierAndrew said:

Well that's hardly a surprise when governing body turns a blind eye to it - you'd be stupid not to dope

TRENDING THREADS