• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping on the South African local racing scene

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As expected ...

Tests of SA Cyclists 'Suspicious'
2013-03-04 13:52:50.551 GMT

(SUBS: RPTS FOR SPORT WIRE. ALSO ISSUED ON DOMESTIC WIRE)
March 4 (SAPA) -- Retroactive EPO (Erythropoietin) testing
of 50 cyclists from events in 2012 indicate continued doping in
South African cycling, the SA Institute for Drug-free Sport
(Saids) said on Monday.
The doping control samples of some cyclists were classified
as "suspicious" but not conclusive to elicit doping charges.
"In light of these results we will be changing up our
strategy so that cyclists are aware that we are very serious
about cleaning up sport," Saids CEO Khalid Galant said in a
statement.
"Our aggressive testing strategy will hopefully serve as a
deterrent to those that have been engaging in doping practices
and to those who believe they can still beat the doping control
system."
The samples, taken from athletes who competed in major
mountain and road races in 2012 and stored in a laboratory in
Bloemfontein, were sent to the Saids peer lab in Austria for
confirmation analyses. The analyses were inconclusive.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Bianchi928 said:
As expected ...

I hope 'changing up the strategy' means conducting a lot more OOC testing, otherwise the net effect of this story may be that the athletes become more professional in their preparation so as to avoid even a suspicious result.

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
He raced in one of the races in question as part of his winter training. This was the race scene he competed in as a junior / earlier part of his career. I am not going to jump to any conclusions however ...

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Bianchi928 said:
He raced in one of the races in question as part of his winter training. This was the race scene he competed in as a junior / earlier part of his career. I am not going to jump to any conclusions however ...

Whaaat ! Isnt that what the clinics about ?

Can anyone explain why SA Federation riders don't know what kit to wear?

Tweets on the Cycling South Africa site:

Cycling_SA NB: African Continental Champs (XCO/DHI) - as per UCI rules you are required to ride in SA Federation kit.

Cycling_SA @Cycling_SA and as per UCI rules you are required to ride in SA Federation kit.

Wouldn't that be kind of obvious?

Dave.

However SAIDS CEO Khalid Galant is very concerned by the results,

What's not spoken is the reason why someone refused to open cases. That may be because the results aren't strong enough to support a case, or the federation is suppressing doping controversy. I honestly don't know either way.

I have to review the bit of WADA code where the authority to open the case would come from in a back-dated testing scenario.

Velonation has the story: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...ws-there-continues-to-be-doping-activity.aspx

TRENDING THREADS