• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dream Road Cycling Website

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I explain my situation, I have a website in my country that deals with the major sports events. I found myself a great interest for road cycling and would like to create content that would satisfy the fan community.
I am not an expert and I would like to better understand what kind of information you guys are seeking online concerning road cycling ?
(Talk about cycling with other members, reading articles, playing fantasy league... ?)
For instance for an event such as the Tour de France what kind of complementary information you would like to get.
In advance thank you so much for your help.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Some things off the top of my head that I think would be cool to see.
-Maps and routes of races with profiles of the race and profiles of the climbs in the race. Wouldn't have to spend much time searching.
-start times of races, when video goes live, expected finish times.
-links to feeds.
-race chats (like those of velorooms or the forum here) are always fun.
-startlists of races.
-transfers and rumors lists.
-general current cycling news.
-fantasy games are always fun.
-links to videos/replays/highlights of races.

Afrank said:
-Maps and routes of races with profiles of the race and profiles of the climbs in the race. Wouldn't have to spend much time searching.
-links to feeds.
-startlists of races.

Kinda like procyclingstats.com but better:)

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
-links to feeds.
-startlists of races.

Something like http://www.steephill.tv with a slightly more intuitive/easy to navigate design and a forum would achieve most of the above very nicely IMHO...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, really something like a cross between Steephill (startlists, calander, races, profiles/maps, etc.), climebybike (climbs and profiles), Cyclingfans (live feeds), Procyclingstats (stats), Cyclingfever (startlists, rider history in races), any cycling news site, and maybe CQ as well in combination with any cycling forum would be the perfect site.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
-links to feeds.
-startlists of races.

Thank you for your answers, I was also thinking about those main features so it is good to see that they are important for you as well. I mainly use the website yahoo.eurosport.co.uk to follow big events such as Tour de France because they have really good live coverage with interactive content.

I was also thinking about adding a more technical part which would deal more with the technologies related to cycling. For instance what are the new materials and technics used to improve professional bikes ?
Also maybe add an unusual part which would deal with new technologies that have failed or unusual figures such as the number of flat tyre during a tour...

What would you think about that ?

Also is there some more things that you would be interested to find on a website but that have not been done yet ?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
guillaumemriaux said:
Thank you for your answers, I was also thinking about those main features so it is good to see that they are important for you as well. I mainly use the website yahoo.eurosport.co.uk to follow big events such as Tour de France because they have really good live coverage with interactive content.

I was also thinking about adding a more technical part which would deal more with the technologies related to cycling. For instance what are the new materials and technics used to improve professional bikes ?
Also maybe add an unusual part which would deal with new technologies that have failed or unusual figures such as the number of flat tyre during a tour...

What would you think about that ?

Also is there some more things that you would be interested to find on a website but that have not been done yet ?

I'd say those would be a good ideas. Cycling is a sport for gear and equipment geeks after all. And there's plenty of cool cycling gear out there. And a section for unusual stats and figures sounds good. Kinda like a cycling trivia and statistics feature.

Can't think of anything that hasn't been done by other sites at this time, maybe profiles of just the climbs in races. Most sites just have the overall race profile. Maybe weather reports for races also, weather has been affected more and more races this year after all.

TRENDING THREADS