• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dubai Tour 2018

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Akuryo said:
Velolover2 said:
Is Viviani the second fastest after Kittel these days? I mean, Greipel and Cav aren't getting any younger.

There is a certain Colombian your missed. :eek:
I think it's a tie between those two. Depends on the scenario and route.

We're not gonna see a head-to-head showdown between Viviani and Gaviria the next couple of years anyway.

Re:

canarydan23 said:
It's very early days, but at the moment who's the premier sprinter at Quick-Step? I'd have said Gaviria before this week, but while his victories came in a weak sprinter field, Viviani has gone up against the top names and come out victorious. Ok, it sounds like he was helped by an incident today and clearly has the best lead-out but his first victory was well deserved.
It's hard. They are pretty much equal in terms of speed and but can survive lumpy-but-not-hilly stages.

Gaviria has the best lead-out man in the world. (Yeah I know they are on the same team but Richeze is almost Gaviria's personal lead-outman)

But Viviani is really good at using slower sprinters from other teams as lead-out men. He seem to be a very intelligent sprinter who is great at "reading the race" and being on the right wheels.

RedheadDane said:
Velolover2 said:
Akuryo said:
Velolover2 said:
Is Viviani the second fastest after Kittel these days? I mean, Greipel and Cav aren't getting any younger.

We're not gonna see a head-to-head showdown between Viviani and Gaviria the next couple of years anyway.
Oh, we will next mouth! Milano-Sanremo is coming up. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Velolover2 said:
canarydan23 said:
It's very early days, but at the moment who's the premier sprinter at Quick-Step? I'd have said Gaviria before this week, but while his victories came in a weak sprinter field, Viviani has gone up against the top names and come out victorious. Ok, it sounds like he was helped by an incident today and clearly has the best lead-out but his first victory was well deserved.
It's hard. They are pretty much equal in terms of speed and but can survive lumpy-but-not-hilly stages.

Gaviria has the best lead-out man in the world. (Yeah I know they are on the same team but Richeze is almost Gaviria's personal lead-outman)

But Viviani is really good at using slower sprinters from other teams as lead-out men. He seem to be a very intelligent sprinter who is great at "reading the race" and being on the right wheels.

It's generally a good idea for a sprinter and his lead-out man to be on the same team. :p You could argue that Sabatini is - or at least is working towards becoming - Viviani's personal lead-out man.

Velolover2 said:
RedheadDane said:
Velolover2 said:
Akuryo said:
Velolover2 said:

Oh, we will next mouth! Milano-Sanremo is coming up. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Not Viviani and Gaviria, surely!

Yeah that is true, RedheadDane. Sabatini for Viv and Richeze for Gav.

If both of the lead-out men are racing Milano-Sanremo, there will be two mini-trains for Quick Step. Mini-teams within the teams. Not to mention Gilbert and Alaphilippe's personal ambitions.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Yeah that is true, RedheadDane. Sabatini for Viv and Richeze for Gav.

If both of the lead-out men are racing Milano-Sanremo, there will be two mini-trains for Quick Step. Mini-teams within the teams. Not to mention Gilbert and Alaphilippe's personal ambitions.
I even doubt there is room for both lead-out men when you already have 4 leaders (Gav, Gil, Viv and Ala).

QS have a lot of strong workhorses who are also needed in the race.

Re:

Velolover2 said:

I don't think so. He's definitely in great form at present. But all things being equal, I'd have Cav, Demare and Gaviria = 2nd to Kittel. And then the next bracket behind them, including Viviani, would include a lot of names.