• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dura-Ace 9200 compatibility?

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a long time user of Dura-Ace groupsets and wanted to upgrade to the relative new 9200 series.

I'm perfectly happy with my 11 speed set- up but would especially like to accommodate an 11-34 cassette. I therefore would like to install the new 9200 Rear Derailleur.

Up to now, most reviews I've read insist that it is not compatible with the the old standard 9100 set-up, citing the difference in the new cables (SD300) compared to the old ones (SD50).

The trouble is I've just found out that Shimano do an adapter, the EW-AD305.

In terms of backward compatibility is it just a case of the new cables that render the 12 speed incompatible with the old 11 speed?

Given that there is now an adapter (EW-AD305) that can link the new SD300 to old SD50 cables, is the new Rear Derailleur usable?

No, they also need to be running the same firmware and unless Shimano have changed that since I last heard about it, the only 11 speed stuff that got updates were TT shifters/Satallite shifters.

The 11 speed medium cage Ultegra RD with run an 11-34 though and while I've never checked I assume those are compatible.

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
Yes, thanks, you're right I had it confirmed by bettershifting.com

The firmware is the problem. Shimano do not appear to allow backward compatibility.

Currently looking at getting an old Ultegra RD-8050 GS which can accommodate an 11-34 but it seems that they're rarer than hens' teeth at the moment.

To such an extent I'm actually contemplating the nuclear option of a whole new bike with the 9250 set-up... 🤦🏽‍♂️