• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars Door Vlaanderen

No time to do a proper opening post ... race is close.

So, what's the thinking?

Ordinarily I'd say the easier course makes it more sprinter oriented, but the weather could make it more selective. I'll go with Naesen.

Interested to see who Quickstep is riding for.

ddv2018_karte.jpg

ddv2018_profil-940x466.jpg

Who today will risk their next part of the season?

If this doesn't end in a sprint, which the weather will decide, I'm banking on one of the supporting cast for Ronde.
Namely in-form Lampaert, Stybar (well, he might be an option Sunday, but the weather today should suit him very well) , Roelandts and Debusschere or one of the Katusha strongmen Martin, Politt and Kuznetsov.

Re: Re:

fauniera said:
Jagartrott said:
Rainy, windy, cold - I don't expect a sprint finish, and I don't expect GVA, Valverde and some others will race 'full'. Naesen, Vanmarcke, Benoot and Terpstra are my picks.
Why shouldn't Valverde race full? He's not riding the Ronde as far as i know.

He'll race full, he doesn't know different. I expect him up front at the Taaienberg, and then who knows. Although I expect some 2nd tiers from strong teams, like Lampaert and Kung, will have freedom to slip from the front group.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It will rain more or less throughout the day; it will probably be a difficult race won by a hard man. Hopefully not too many crashes before RVV, though.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

fauniera said:
Jagartrott said:
Rainy, windy, cold - I don't expect a sprint finish, and I don't expect GVA, Valverde and some others will race 'full'. Naesen, Vanmarcke, Benoot and Terpstra are my picks.

seems like he's considering riding it ..
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-hints-at-racing-tour-of-flanders/

what a field on RvV this year ... Nibali, Valverde plus the usual suspects of course ....

fauniera said:
Jagartrott said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-hints-at-racing-tour-of-flanders/

He is considering it but I agree with you. Valverde will race this to test himself. If he gets a top result (top 5 or 10), he will he will probably participate in De Ronde.

But it looks like he is making a big mistake already.. he has stated he will stay close to GVA today. That is NOT good tactics since Greg doesn't care about this race. For him, it's all about the Ronde.

If he wants to win it, he should take notice of Benoot or Lampaert instead.

Don't think it is just about following the right wheel, but to make sure to position yourself amidst the chaos towards the hills.

Funny how everybody, myself included, expects a lot from Valverde today but nothing from Quintana. Rightly so, but still.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Less than 100km to go; Astana forced a split in the peloton, 2nd group 30 seconds behind; besides GVA being in the first group no info on who is in what group yet. There hasn't been a BOD.

EDIT: two groups together again