• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Early in stages

We don't often get the chance to see the very early stages of races: a couple of questions come to mind.

In these first two stages, the break went immediately the flag dropped, yet there was little evident jostling for position in the neutralised zone. Is there some sort of negotiation before they line up? Do the riders who fancy the immediate break queue up first on the start line? Or is it pure opportunism: "Oh look! I'm near the front, may as well go for it!"

They seem to take "natural breaks" very early on. I can sympathise with the need, and it is obvious that they can't stop for it in the serious later stages. But many riders were stopping after half an hour or so: how long are they away from their buses before the race starts?

Hehe sorry. I think if you want a position in the front of the starting line up you can go to the front if you want. You often see those guys attacking in the beginning of the stage already lining up upfront.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The early natural breaks are very common. 198 riders that are fully hydrated and well lots of full bladders. Almost every stage has an early natural break.
It isn't uncommon to see the same rider need to pee a couple of times in a race. I suppose there is a fine balance between kidneys and sweat glands.

TRENDING THREADS