Earth Hour: Your opinion of the concept?

Oct 8, 2010
451
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Earth Hour: Your opinion of the concept?

http://www.earthhour.org/Homepage.aspx

I personally think it is rather stupid but what are your thoughts of it?
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
well said, you are spot on.

Earth hour is nothing to do with energy saving, because generatos will continually be burning the coal and emitting the CO2. I don't see how it raises awareness either. Just like a livestrong band, how does it raise awareness. we all know about Cancer and global warming as it is thrown in our faces in the news every single day.
 
I like multi-billion dollar corporations supporting it, it makes me think of them as "green" and environmentally conscious, as all their other processes for 364.96 days of the year are very efficient.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
if you want to read some good debate about climate change, read my tweet discussion about earth hour with Dim from the past hour!
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
these are like the views of a clearly uneducated 12 year old then again you are the terminator and hardcore lol. ignorance is the real problem good luck with that..
 
Oct 29, 2009
77
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
Because I have 3 kids I'm an idiot. Go **** yourself ***.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
Me finks you ought to do a bit of research on the carbon footprint of those large, poor familes and compare it to your average Texans. Probably take 50+ Indian or African people to get even close to one single average Texans carbon print.
That truthes a bit inconvinient to the utter dross youre espousing.;)
 
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
Ever heard of "earth overshoot day"?

It is the day when the human race has consumed all that the earth is able to produce in a year. The rest of the year we will drain the reserves wich will accelerate the ongoing climate change. If every man and woman on this planet lived like the average american, the human race would need five "earths" to maintain a sustainable development. The problem isn't that the earth is overpopulated, the problem is that people doesn't recycle enough and that people are constantly over consuming.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
To the OP - yes, I do think it's a bit of a silly concept on one hand, but on the other hand anything that gets us to think about our consumption vs our actual needs is potentially beneficial.

To TERMINATOR - I think you are probably more intelligent than that and were trolling with that nonsense. Your argument is essentially that you were here first so can consume what you like, and we should not have more children than it takes to replace us in case those extra kids want heat and water too. By using more electricity, you don't send the message that the earth cannot support more children, you send the message that you are selfish and don't care to share our finite resources. Funny that you mention government corruption in Japan, but your discussion about starvation in Africa is limited to procreation. Look further into that one. And take a look at some of those Japanese seaside villages, you might find that some of them live on the coast not out of desire for a posh waterfront mansion, but because of a traditional reliance on the sea. As for your comment about the real tragedy being restricted access to Shimano parts, well hopefully you were just throwing out a line there. It's easy to ignore such idiocy, it's more concerning that you got support from ACF with that nonsense.
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
I'm going to intentionally use more electricity during Earth Hour because the idea of using less electricity is stupid.

The real problem with this planet's finite resources is population control, not telling existing people to use less. There is no point for existing people to use less of anything when whatever savings they can amass are simply going to be undone by idiots around the world who insist on having 3-9 children. Until somebody tells these idiots to stop procreating (most of whom can't afford to provide for these children), I have no desire to limit my use of anything.

If you really want to save electricity, gas, and produce less garbage, then tell all those arrogant people to have less children.

By using more electricity, you send the message that the earth can't support any more children.

This is also why I'm against feeding the hungry in Africa. Because the solution to hunger in Africa isn't to give them more food; rather, it's to use birth control. Feeding people in Africa will cause them to reproduce exponentially even more (causing even more famine and needless suffering) and to exceed the carrying capacity of their land. Maybe if Bono bothered to take off those fly glasses that causes a lack of light to reach his brain which is obviously affecting his ability to think logically about how to solve a problem, he too could see the light.

And as far as the earthquake in Japan, don't build your cities and nuclear power plants where you KNOW tsunamis will hit and then try to make it appear as if it's some unforeseen tragedy when one does.

I got another name for the so-called "tragedy" in Japan: stupidity and government corruption. I have no sympathy for either one. My biggest concern about the Japanese earthquake is how will it affect my ability to get cheap Shimano parts from Nashbar?

Damn, I'm hardcore.
Damn, you are hardcore!...congratulations!...

...oh... before I go, I have a question...do you hardcore types ( and I include your Aussie fellow traveller here ) always consult the operator's manual before you use toilet paper or just most of the time?....

Cheers

blutto

PS...nice responses PS and DW...
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
pedaling squares said:
To the OP - yes, I do think it's a bit of a silly concept on one hand, but on the other hand anything that gets us to think about our consumption vs our actual needs is potentially beneficial.

To TERMINATOR - I think you are probably more intelligent than that and were trolling with that nonsense. Your argument is essentially that you were here first so can consume what you like, and we should not have more children than it takes to replace us in case those extra kids want heat and water too. By using more electricity, you don't send the message that the earth cannot support more children, you send the message that you are selfish and don't care to share our finite resources. Funny that you mention government corruption in Japan, but your discussion about starvation in Africa is limited to procreation. Look further into that one. And take a look at some of those Japanese seaside villages, you might find that some of them live on the coast not out of desire for a posh waterfront mansion, but because of a traditional reliance on the sea. As for your comment about the real tragedy being restricted access to Shimano parts, well hopefully you were just throwing out a line there. It's easy to ignore such idiocy, it's more concerning that you got support from ACF with that nonsense.
Admittedly I only read a few bits of it and didnt have my glasses on...:eek: I properley read the final few paragraphs and yes, that was very moronic (that seems to be my word of the week). IF you think just using energy saving light bulbs, appliances and water saving shower heads is going yo save our planet then you are very sadl mistaken. More drastic action needs to be taken to fight global warming.


btw, I hate the idiots out there who talk about climate change all the time. Learn to differentiate between global warming and climate change as climate change happens EVERY SINGLE DAY since day dot!!!!!!
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
I honestly don't care for future generations because in the end humanity will die anyway, something tells me it's better sooner than later. That said, I do support the financing of renewable energy to replace fossil fuel. For other reasons than environment though, that's just an added bonus in my eyes.
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Me finks you ought to do a bit of research on the carbon footprint of those large, poor familes and compare it to your average Texans. Probably take 50+ Indian or African people to get even close to one single average Texans carbon print.
That truthes a bit inconvinient to the utter dross youre espousing.;)
yeah exactly i was gonna touch on that but why converse with ignorance. so to terminator how much of the worlds resources does the u.s. alone suck and steal whats your thoughts on this? oh and why are you so racists?(which you are). oh your from texas well never mind it all makes sense now i feel for you lol.


remember the closed mouth gathers no foot:rolleyes:
 
auscyclefan94 said:
btw, I hate the idiots out there who talk about climate change all the time. Learn to differentiate between global warming and climate change as climate change happens EVERY SINGLE DAY since day dot!!!!!!
You sure you haven't been listening to Paul Sherwen talking about "climatic conditions"?

Climate is a measure of conditions over a long period of time based on what the average pressure, rainfall, temperature etc are and how they interact. You can't take a one-day sample and use it to determine climate, you need years, decades.

Weather is the conditions you are experience day-to-day, and are forecast based on modelling the instantaneous data you have available... which is why it's very difficult to forecast weather with high certainty a few days or a week in advance.

Hence the UNFCCC, IPCC. The Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change isn't trying to figure out what the weather in Melbourne will be tomorrow, it's trying to figure out the climate of South Eastern Australia in 2050.

Global Warming is occasionally used by people as substitute for Climate Change, but isn't entirely accurate so I don't like seeing it used. It's a simplification which confuses things. "Climate Change" is reportedly caused by an increase in solar forcing/enhanced greenhouse effect as a result of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions. Maybe you can refer to the higher solar forcing as global warming (AGW) but that is a misrepresentation of the issues faced. Climate Change is a much better term (especially from an adaptation point of view) as there is a lot more to the issue than an increase in average global temperature.
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Admittedly I only read a few bits of it and didnt have my glasses on...:eek: I properley read the final few paragraphs and yes, that was very moronic (that seems to be my word of the week). IF you think just using energy saving light bulbs, appliances and water saving shower heads is going yo save our planet then you are very sadl mistaken. More drastic action needs to be taken to fight global warming.


btw, I hate the idiots out there who talk about climate change all the time. Learn to differentiate between global warming and climate change as climate change happens EVERY SINGLE DAY since day dot!!!!!!
...methinks you may have to reconsider some of the things you said in your post after you take a look at the following page...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html

...what you will find is that what you see as trivial items account for about 60% of average household electricity usage...our gadgets soak up a great deal of power...for instance the wholesale shift to flat-screen tv systems in Britain ( as an example ) would require the power output of 4 additional nuclear generating facilities...here in Canada the free gift from one particular province of more efficient appliances to all of its citizens would have saved the taxpayer there a huge amount of money over the cost of nuclear power stations required to provide power for old style inefficient appliances...

...and you may also consider this...the use of electric cars if it becomes widespread would function more or less like a huge battery system that would use off-peak generated power that is now just wasted....as result oil consumption may either be scaled back or put to more efficient uses...

...and as long as I have the floor there is one more little tidbit and it concerns how pigheaded we are with energy use in North America...when the first oil crisis hit, everybody noticed the immediate effects such as long lineups to get gas ...different counties responded differently...America did virtually nothing even though their oil production had already started to fall off...Germany instituted some efficiency improvements that if applied to the US system would have allowed the US to be oil self-sufficient...the Japanese went further than the Germans and if those efficiencies had been used by the US, the US would have been a net exporter of oil...

..we had the opportunity to be smart and do better...but no, we went hardcore and now the accumulated debt incurred importing oil and wasting oil and/or going nuclear is going to bring the whole house down around our ears....yeah but we're hardcore...yeah like in cheap steak tough and bonzo substantial....

...Earth Day is a much as anything a bit of a wake-up call to be smarter about energy use than we have been..there is still a narrow window of opportunity to save ourselves but its closing real fast...and remember when the $hit hits the fan it is more likely to be logarithmic in scale and not linear...so if you think the tsunami in Japan is a problem you really haven't seen anything yet...and no one will be able send help because they will all be suffering the effects...

Cheers

blutto
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Ferminal said:
You sure you haven't been listening to Paul Sherwen talking about "climatic conditions"?

Climate is a measure of conditions over a long period of time based on what the average pressure, rainfall, temperature etc are and how they interact. You can't take a one-day sample and use it to determine climate, you need years, decades.

Weather is the conditions you are experience day-to-day, and are forecast based on modelling the instantaneous data you have available... which is why it's very difficult to forecast weather with high certainty a few days or a week in advance.

Hence the UNFCCC, IPCC. The Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change isn't trying to figure out what the weather in Melbourne will be tomorrow, it's trying to figure out the climate of South Eastern Australia in 2050.

Global Warming is occasionally used by people as substitute for Climate Change, but isn't entirely accurate so I don't like seeing it used. It's a simplification which confuses things. "Climate Change" is reportedly caused by an increase in solar forcing/enhanced greenhouse effect as a result of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions. Maybe you can refer to the higher solar forcing as global warming (AGW) but that is a misrepresentation of the issues faced. Climate Change is a much better term (especially from an adaptation point of view) as there is a lot more to the issue than an increase in average global temperature.
Maybe I phrased what I was saying badly. Climate is weather patterns/conditions (listed in quoted post) over a long period of time. To look at the climate you must look at day to day weather statistics and find trends using mean and/or median measurements to then find out what it will be like in the future by applying the temperatures of each day. Therefore it is a correct statement that climate changes each and every day as to look at the climate over a long period of time and to predict future temperatures in 20, 30 years, meterologists must look at the day to day data to then work out future models of what the temperature, sea levels will be and what the climate has been like over a previosu period of time.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
2
0
forty four said:
yeah exactly i was gonna touch on that but why converse with ignorance. so to terminator how much of the worlds resources does the u.s. alone suck and steal whats your thoughts on this? oh and why are you so racists?(which you are). oh your from texas well never mind it all makes sense now i feel for you lol.


remember the closed mouth gathers no foot:rolleyes:
What??????????:(
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
blutto said:
...methinks you may have to reconsider some of the things you said in your post after you take a look at the following page...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html

...what you will find is that what you see as trivial items account for about 60% of average household electricity...our gadgets soak up a great deal of power...for instance the wholesale shift to flat-screen tv systems in Britain ( as an example ) would require the power output of 4 additional nuclear generating facilities...here in Canada the free gift from one particular province of more efficient appliances to all of its citizens would have saved the taxpayer there a huge amount of money over the cost of nuclear power stations required to provide power for old style inefficient appliances...

...and you may also consider this...the use of electric cars if it becomes widespread would function more or less like a huge battery system that would use off-peak generated power that is now just wasted....as result oil consumption may either be scaled back or put to more efficient uses...

...and as long as I have the floor there is one more little tidbit and it concerns how pigheaded we are with energy use in North America...when the first oil crisis hit, everybody noticed the immediate effects such as long lineups to get gas ...different counties responded differently...America did virtually nothing even though their oil production had already started to fall off...Germany instituted some efficiency improvements that if applied to the US system would have allowed the US to be oil self-sufficient...the Japanese went further than the Germans and if those efficiencies had been used by the US, the US would have been a net exporter of oil...

..we had the opportunity to be smart and do better...but no, we went hardcore and now the accumulated debt of oil importation is going to bring the whole house down around our ears....yeah but we're hardcore...yeah like in cheap steak tough and bonzo substantial....

...Earth Day is a much as anything a bit of a wake-up call to be a bit smarter about energy use than we have been...there is still a narrow window of opportunity to save ourselves but its closing real fast...

Cheers

blutto
I agree that appliances need to be made more greener and that we need alternate energy sources. I agree we should become more green by conserving and recyclingd but even if we do so it still doesnt fix the problem. There is only so much minimising we can do until if affects the effectiveness of the appliances by minimising the electricity used to run the appliances. I still think population control needs to be looked at as the world population grows rapidly, even if we conserve and make appliances more efficient, demand will become too high for what the planet can handle as we will run out of such energy sources.
 
Term has a point. Check out the population projections for Nigeria then ask yourself if that makes sense for a country that has an economy based on finding westerner's long lost family fortunes which can be unlocked for a small bank transfer.

The largest problem the world has today is not global warming or energy use. It is out of control population growth.
 
May 13, 2009
3,093
2
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Maybe I phrased what I was saying badly. Climate is weather patterns/conditions (listed in quoted post) over a long period of time. To look at the climate you must look at day to day weather statistics and find trends using mean and/or median measurements to then find out what it will be like in the future by applying the temperatures of each day. Therefore it is a correct statement that climate changes each and every day as to look at the climate over a long period of time and to predict future temperatures in 20, 30 years, meterologists must look at the day to day data to then work out future models of what the temperature, sea levels will be and what the climate has been like over a previosu period of time.
I think you still phrase it badly. Climate, as a long-term average of parameters such as temperature, humidity etc. whatnot does not change from day to day because of the long-term averaging. It seems that you still confuse climate and weather.

Why the difference between 'Global warming' and 'climate change'? Very simple: some people pointed out that changing climate might make some regions actually cooler because of change in wind or ocean current patterns (the end of the Gulf stream was discussed at one point). Also 'Global warming' doesn't address climate parameters other than temperature (such as humidity, average wind speeds, average number of storms passing through etc.).
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Cobblestones said:
I think you still phrase it badly. Climate, as a long-term average of parameters such as temperature, humidity etc. whatnot does not change from day to day because of the long-term averaging. It seems that you still confuse climate and weather.

Why the difference between 'Global warming' and 'climate change'? Very simple: some people pointed out that changing climate might make some regions actually cooler because of change in wind or ocean current patterns. Also 'Global warming' doesn't address climate parameters other than temperature (such as humidity, average wind speeds, average number of storms passing through etc.).
But to look at mean temperatures you must have raw data from data. Weather includes temperature and temperature is an element of climate. The tempeartures do not change after each period of time It doesn't stay the same from the last mesurement and then go dramtically up at the next period of time the raw temperature data is collected.

Anyway, to look at increasing temperatures you have to add up the raw data and then divide it by the number of figures to find the mean. Therefore if you were going to compare the climate of march 2000 and march 2011 you would ultimately need day to day data to be able to compare the change in climatic conditions.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Maybe I phrased what I was saying badly. Climate is weather patterns/conditions (listed in quoted post) over a long period of time. To look at the climate you must look at day to day weather statistics and find trends using mean and/or median measurements to then find out what it will be like in the future by applying the temperatures of each day. Therefore it is a correct statement that climate changes each and every day as to look at the climate over a long period of time and to predict future temperatures in 20, 30 years, meterologists must look at the day to day data to then work out future models of what the temperature, sea levels will be and what the climate has been like over a previosu period of time.
But climate descriptions are very broad, under normal circumstances, a region wouldn't go from sub-tropical to arid in the space of a few centuries. Can you tell me one region on the planet where the climate has changed over the last two thousand years? Just because one day contributes 0.00001% of a historical record of "climate" does not mean that those days events are a sign of a changing climate. The climate has not "changed" until you can categorically say over a period of decades or centuries that there has been a shift from the previous norm. Hence why it's stupid for people to say "look at the last 20 years, 10 of the hottest years ever therefore climate change is happening and very scary".
 
May 13, 2009
3,093
2
0
auscyclefan94 said:
But to look at mean temperatures you must have raw data from data. Weather includes temperature and temperature is an element of climate. The tempeartures do not change after each period of time It doesn't stay the same from the last mesurement and then go dramtically up at the next period of time the raw temperature data is collected.

Anyway, to look at increasing temperatures you have to add up the raw data and then divide it by the number of figures to find the mean. Therefore if you were going to compare the climate of march 2000 and march 2011 you would ultimately need day to day data to be able to compare the change in climatic conditions.
I think you still phrase it badly, because I have no clue what you're saying there.

Also, concerning your example, there's no such thing as the climate of March 2000 and the climate of March 2011, because the time periods involved are way too short. In order to talk about climate you have to average over decades or centuries.

As an example, there has been a warm period in the middle ages which among others allowed Vikings to settle and successfully farm small parts of Greenland. Now, this warm period was likely a local one, not a global phenomenon, so it's not even an example of global climate change. I guess the last big global climate change event happened during the transition from the last ice age to the current warm period.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY