• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Editing of posts

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I avidly follow Cycling News EVERY day of the year and I am often disturbed by the plethora of ignorant, ill-founded, libellous and just plain stupid comments that are tagged onto stories by readers who either hate cycling, know nothing about the sport, its history, its structure and the skills and pressures that are part of everyday PROFESSIONAL bike riders' lives.

Eventually, this morning, I posted a comment against one of these anonymous offending subscribers and, using my own name (which these blatant cowards DO NOT), I railed against the uninformed, libellous writings. I made the mistake, however, of using one word which may have prevented the post from being published. That word was "***". If that prevented my message from being published, maybe it is time that Cycling News found another way of "moderating" posts. Such as insisting that anyone who wants to accuse riders of doping (one of only many potentially libellous accusations) they MUST use their own names and not a nom-de-plume to cowardly hide behind.

If you love the sport, look at the positives and make considered comments or shut up! The authorities are taking care of the unsavoury side of the sport which has almost been wiped out in the last 18 months-two years, thanks to the individual blood passport programme.

Does anyone else feel the same? I was a professional for 16 years in Europe so I do have knowledge of the game.

Nigel Dean

edited

hi nigel i'm old enough to remember yourself.................were all those bikes with nigel dean on them yours?

sounds like your message fell foul of the over sensitive software censor

of course there are d1cks out there that need reminding from time to time

Mark L

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Im too young to remember Nigel, but certainly old enough to remember a plethora of his bikes in the early nineties. Don't think there was a club run in the country that didn't feature at least one of his Reynolds tubed tourers.

Nigel Dean said:
Hi, I avidly follow Cycling News EVERY day of the year and I am often disturbed by the plethora of ignorant, ill-founded, libellous and just plain stupid comments that are tagged onto stories by readers who either hate cycling, know nothing about the sport, its history, its structure and the skills and pressures that are part of everyday PROFESSIONAL bike riders' lives.

Eventually, this morning, I posted a comment against one of these anonymous offending subscribers and, using my own name (which these blatant cowards DO NOT), I railed against the uninformed, libellous writings. I made the mistake, however, of using one word which may have prevented the post from being published. That word was "***". If that prevented my message from being published, maybe it is time that Cycling News found another way of "moderating" posts. Such as insisting that anyone who wants to accuse riders of doping (one of only many potentially libellous accusations) they MUST use their own names and not a nom-de-plume to cowardly hide behind.

If you love the sport, look at the positives and make considered comments or shut up! The authorities are taking care of the unsavoury side of the sport which has almost been wiped out in the last 18 months-two years, thanks to the individual blood passport programme.

Does anyone else feel the same? I was a professional for 16 years in Europe so I do have knowledge of the game.

Nigel Dean

Whether or not we believe that the BP is anything more than a way of controlling positive tests, I have to say you are getting angry with the wrong people. Why not direct your anger at the ones who have really earned it? Johann Bruyneel, Riis, Ferrari, Fuentes, McQuaid Armstrong, Basso Verbruggen, Ricco, Hamilton, Landis, Hincapie, Contador, Valverde and all the other Spanish dopers, all the Dutch dopers, all the Italian dopers, the dudes at the Freiberg clinic, in fact get mad about the entire cottage industry that has grown up around doping athletes in all sports. There is a lot to be angry about, but guys suggesting that pro bike racers might be doping is really not near the top of the list, especially when you factor in the ton of examples that prove how good the odds are of that being true in just about any case.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
So, just because this thread has 'Nigel Dean' written on its top tube, we have to reveal our names to debate who may be doping? Sorry, but you don't get to set the rules or control the agenda. It's a forum, discussion happens. Discussions you will agree with, discussions you will not. I'd wager that a review of these threads would reveal that many comments that were borderline libellous in 2009 are accepted as truth today. I may not have your knowledge of the game, but I know better to believe that the unsavoury side of this sport is almost wiped out.

"If you love the sport, look at the positives". Good line - would make a nice signature block.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Nigel Dean said:
...comments that are tagged onto stories behind...

Hold on a moment. So you're not talking about this forum, but rather the "comments" that CN recently added to the bottom of their articles on the main site itself?

Please tell me that you haven't worked yourself into a frenzy over the "comments" section.

Four years ago you were ranting in The Clinic, even though you went out of your way to participate in the discussion.

Nigel Dean said:
Don't all you guys realise how privileged you are to have such insight and coverage of the pinnacle of world cycle racing - The Tour de France. Most of you hide behind a "nom-de-plume". If you are so interested in "medecine" - GO AND BE A DOCTOR and let us true fans of the sport concentrate on the nuances of cycle RACING.

Threads on the forum, much like the "comments" section of any online publication, are easy enough to avoid and ignore, no?

Granville57 said:
Hold on a moment. So you're not talking about this forum, but rather the "comments" that CN recently added to the bottom of their articles on the main site itself?

Please tell me that you haven't worked yourself into a frenzy over the "comments" section.

Four years ago you were ranting in The Clinic, even though you went out of your way to participate in the discussion.

Threads on the forum, much like the "comments" section of any online publication, are easy enough to avoid and ignore, no?

Dude, Mad props. Your ability to find past posts and thread is amazing.

I get why people want or like to use "made up" names ... but I have a feeling that we might have a more civil forum if people were prepared to openly share their identity ... and there are some people who have legitimate reasons for wanting to remain anonymous.

Not me ... happy to share who I am.

Terry Dillon