• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As for only having about half a team signed for the following year at this point. Movistar only had around 15/16 riders signed for 2020 at the end of Sept 2019.
Yeah, and they ended up with a much weaker roster for 2020 than they had had in 2019.

Except Movistar has the luxury of sending half the team up the road in breaks to go stage hunting if they want to.
But EF can too if they want to?

It's not like Uran needs all the team around him. There has not been a single instance this race that he really needed his team. They are not the ones doing the work. They don't even keep Uran close to the front most of the time, let alone pulling the peloton. Stick Higuita with him in the mountains and Keukeleire on easier terrain and the rest is good to go.

EF was represented in every proper breakaway in this race so far. Even yesterday they had Martinez in a move in which Movistar was not represented IIRC.

Now that Carthy has lost time he can join the breakaway hunt too and they can hopefully give Bettiol a chance too on one of the hilly/medium mountain stages, he's in great form.

This day has made me realise how much EF are losing with Woods and Kangert leaving.

And with some of the most interesting riders without contract for 2021, like Trentin, Kelderman and Philipsen being confirmed at other teams and options on the transfer market shrinking rapidly, I've lost any hope that EF's 2021 roster will be as strong or stronger than their 2020 one. If they were about to make some good signings, there's no reason they wouldn't have been confirmed or at least rumoured by now. And a few months ago I really hoped 2021 would e another step forward for the team with riders like Higuita and Martinez locked up on long term deals and Uran's big contract signed just after 2017 TdF podium ending, relieving some money for salary budget. But at this point I would just be happy with one mediocre transfer confirmed to stop worrying if the team will even continue to exist beyond 2020.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Did Higuita crash? I must have missed that. Or do you think he is still suffering from his Dauphine crash? I would find that unlikely.

Bettiol was not there for Uran on Tuesday (echelons) or today. These are the days he should be helping Uran. I don't think it makes much sense for him to be saving himself for the high mountains.

EDIT: Ok, I've just read an article of Higuita saying that the Dauphine crash has left its mark. But he seems to be getting worse instead of better each day so it's disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRoads
Did Higuita crash? I must have missed that. Or do you think he is still suffering from his Dauphine crash? I would find that unlikely.

Bettiol was not there for Uran on Tuesday (echelons) or today. These are the days he should be helping Uran. I don't think it makes much sense for him to be saving himself for the high mountains.

EDIT: Ok, I've just read an article of Higuita saying that the Dauphine crash has left its mark. But he seems to be getting worse instead of better each day so it's disappointing.

Maybe with Higuita it's a bit similar to Buchmann, who says the wounds are good now, but he lacks the days of training he would have had without the crash.

Giro is at the same time with LBL and AGR so I don't know which ones will Woods ride this year, I think I've read one poster saying that the latter?

Nonetheless, Woods is not really a GT type rider, he's never done much outside of Vuelta so I don't know. Maybe he'll have a breaktrough but I wouldn't bet my money on that.

Reactions: Velolover2
The team classification is now gone, I guess.
That didn't age well.

Funny how regarding EF always the opposite happens of what opinion I decide to share.

But Higuita and Carthy still don't look that strong so EF will likely need some luck regarding breakaways to defend the team classification lead.

At least my prediction that Movistar will not necessarily be able to put more guys in the breaks than EF turned out to be true today.

Maybe they need to be opportunistic and wait for collapsing teams and picking up some cheap but good riders.
It makes sense to do that but at the moment they only have 14 riders under contract, they should try to snatch at least 3-4 good riders before they are taken off the market by other teams and if they want to be opportunistic with filling the rest of the spots- fair enough, but how dire their situation must be if they can't afford to compete for at least a few riders by mid September.

I still fear for the worst.

What a rubbish development if they lose Martinez. At least it appears that the very existence of the team is not threatened for 2021. But very disappointing to let some of their very best riders (Woods, Martinez) go despite valid contracts, most likely without any proper replacements. It looks like the progress the team has been showing since 2018 will stall now (or frankly speaking- reverse). :( 2021 promised to be more optimistic a few months ago. :(

So turns out those rumours were true: Martinez now confirmed to INEOS. What a bummer, I was really hoping he'd stay and become EF's main GC rider in the next few years. EF's future not looking to great, as you said above, Anderis. :(
Wonder how many chances Martinez will get to ride for himself at INEOS...

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
It is very easy to lure South American talent with money. And Ineos knows that.
Have you guys seen the videos of the life of Dani Martinez? his Mom used to sell candy on the streets. He had a tough childhood.
I not so happy about this because I thought EF was a very good fit for him. Oh well. Such is life.

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS