• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Couldn’t get anyone in the break today in the Dauphine. According to PCS they only start six riders in Suisse. Banking on scoring UCI points in big stage races may not have been their best bet.

Depending on summer and fall results, people are going to look back at EF leadership”s approach to this season as either a great example of patience and steady handed leadership, or as gross negligence.
Yes, it's hard to see where they could end up. They may surprise in TdF if Nielson stays intact and Rigo rises to the occasion. Their budget is just low enough they need way too much luck.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Out of left field comes this question: but I stumbled upon Daniel Arroyave in PCS. Zero race days this year for EF. If you look at his past results, his signing seemed curious for a WT team. He’s only 22. I was simply wondering if anyone had any insight into why he hasn’t raced?

• Wow
Out of left field comes this question: but I stumbled upon Daniel Arroyave in PCS. Zero race days this year for EF. If you look at his past results, his signing seemed curious for a WT team. He’s only 22. I was simply wondering if anyone had any insight into why he hasn’t raced?
Apparently he had an accident with a car, according to his insta https://www.instagram.com/darroyave5/

EF probably needs to add some riders(group) that excel at .1 and .pro one-day races. It seems the rider characteristics are slightly different from the one-day/Ardennes classics.

It is likely that the point system gets reworked, and/ or the number of points that WT teams can score at such races gets capped. Nevertheless, it is very clear that points will continue to be important, and take on more of a media focus in future years.

Last edited:
TdF startlist according todays PCS page

URÁN Rigoberto
GUERREIRO Ruben
BETTIOL Alberto
BISSEGGER Stefan
CORT Magnus
POWLESS Neilson
RUTSCH Jonas

That's only 7 riders, so who wil be next? Padun and Valgren missing from previous listtings.
Every list had Chaves in it until recently. That's strange. Why wouldn't you take a hot commodity now, you have nothing to lose. Nothing.

Well, Guerreiro has suddenly become a record Mont Ventoux climber, while Bettiol, Cort and Rutsch are all weirdly good climbers when on form.
That would still make the EF roster consist of 1 climber, 2 almost climbers and 3 heavy guys who can sometimes climb. For my liking that's still short of climbers for a team that doesn't have anyone for flat sprints (or a big favourite for small hills like Van der Poel or Alaphilippe).

EF is a really meh team this season, short of climbers while also eternally short of sprinters, yet their spring classics campaign has been disastrous too. 2019/2020 feels so long ago.

Chaves for Polonge/Burgos and Vuelta. Then Italian races if in great form. Where he has had most of his success.

Powless seems to be in great form and could have a real breakthrough soon. Guerreiro is in good form. Uran may still be able to Zubeldia his way to a top 10.

Three decent chances and options for some GC points. Powless and Guerreiro could go for stages in mountains if they fall behind early.

Cort, Bettiol and Rutsch could go in breakaways. Good all-rounders. Domestic duties on other days.

Bissegger to be a helper and he will his chance for a result in the TTs.

Then they probably need a rouler on the team.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
Guerreiro give a interview to a portuguese site, and says that Uran and above all Powless goes for GC, he goes for stage hunting, but he would like to not lose to much time and try to be up on GC also.

So i agree that the team need one more climber on that roster, but Chaves may be needed on other races because of points. Maybe Padun or Eiking...

If potential stage winners are what EF is looking for for that last spot, I would have thought Sean Quinn an option. He’s 22, so should be ready to try his first GT, can climb and has shown to be quick in a small group. Just checked his Strava, and he is in Tennessee for nationals, so I guess he won’t be their eighth man. They really don’t have anyone else with the potential to win a stage- unless Padun has a miraculous improvement in form. They might as well just take a good domestique like Scully or Keukeleire to reduce the stress on their potential stage winners.

Tbh I think they should go for Chaves and choose between Valgren or Bettiol. Both capable riders which are reasonable climbers, both inconsistent as hell and pretty bad this season (no one tried that hard when Bettiol got second on that TdS stage).

TRENDING THREADS