• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And off they went...
The president was at the airport with a lot of news media:

https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2020/con-entusiasmo-despego-el-vuelo-de-deporte-colombiano/

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/co...for-europe-amid-strict-coronavirus-protocols/

Higuita and Mariana were the representatives to waive the flag. Hey, we are not nationalistic.

Sergio-Higuita-Mariana-Paj%C3%B3n-Duque-y-Lucena.jpg

And off they went...
The president was at the airport with a lot of news media:

https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2020/con-entusiasmo-despego-el-vuelo-de-deporte-colombiano/

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/co...for-europe-amid-strict-coronavirus-protocols/

Higuita and Mariana were the representatives to waive the flag. Hey, we are not nationalistic.

Sergio-Higuita-Mariana-Paj%C3%B3n-Duque-y-Lucena.jpg

Nairo Quintana, Arkéa-Samsic's Tour hopeful and former winner of the Giro d'italia and Vuelta a España wore multiple face masks at the same time and was given a clear face shield to wear on top of them

He does not want to get sick!

(Please... does someone have a picture?)

He does not want to get sick!

Better now than during the TDF, though. Imagine a rider holding the lead late in the Tour, and having to abandon because he tests positive. I'm surprised that some rider hasn't tried to get infected intentionally. Some of these athletes will put all kinds of dangerous substances in their bodies to get an edge. Compared to that, the risk of the virus for someone in his 20s or 30s doesn't seem that great.

Better now than during the TDF, though. Imagine a rider holding the lead late in the Tour, and having to abandon because he tests positive. I'm surprised that some rider hasn't tried to get infected intentionally. Some of these athletes will put all kinds of dangerous substances in their bodies to get an edge. Compared to that, the risk of the virus for someone in his 20s or 30s doesn't seem that great.
I’ve wondered if some of the team sports players would consider that, but I can’t imagine a cyclist doing it because of the info about the small % of younger people who have some longer term issues with breathing. Whether it’s a statistically significant risk or not, I would think even hearing that possibility would keep riders keen on staying clear of COVID infection.

Overeager fans also making a slightly less welcome appearance, though, given the need for social distancing. Bit worried about how this is going to work during races (this things tend to happen when fans know that riders will be there, see Evenepoel on the Mur, etc).

EdYeo8iWoAEY5pW

Last edited:
Oh, I don't think it's creepy. Just, funny - assuming it's not actually Chaves' face - showing that masks don't have to be black and boring.

Actually my son wanted one like that. I made white ones and painted them, but was dumb enough to use pens that can only be washed 40°. So I'm now going with the ready made ones.

The fan photo in which Bernal wears mask and shield and she does not even have her mouth covered is a little weird. But her handbag, top and phone go so well with his shield mask and zipper.

Okay, enough of the fashion talk.
I think the specific conditions for fans on the roadside will only be published in some weeks, when it's better known how the situation is. I read something about there being two concepts and the stricter one getting tested during the dauphiné?

Antibody immunity doesn't last that long with covid. I think it's more likely than not that Gaviria doesn't have antibodies anymore.
Good point, and it's also true he had it quite awhile ago now. Though I'm seeing a lot of articles talking about the presence of T cells in the absence of antibodies that could still be providing protection even in the absence of antibodies. More studies needed, but for now - for me - I'm keeping that door open as a possibility. At any rate - judging from a relative of mine who had it in March and is donating plasma, he might still have antibodies but of course I don't know that. All wishful thinking for me!

TRENDING THREADS