• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wait... so they're being tested today at the Tour?! Does that mean that the teams that had positives - among the staff - during the last round of testing are in fact at danger of being expelled if they have another positive, following the two positives within seven days rule?

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Roglič and Pogačar both saying their respective teams' riders all tested negative (most teams opted to get tested on Sunday in Lyon). Unsurprising but good. Hoping team members test negative as well and we see a full 3 week TdF raced until the end on the Champs-Élysées.

Reactions: Koronin
Fantastic that we made it to the start of the 18th stage with no Covid interruptions. Kudos to the Tour organization and the enforcement of the bubble. I just hope nobody falls ill in coming days due to those idiot unmasked fans breathing on the riders. Covid-19 incubation period says we need to wait to know for sure.

On the cusp of the TT I think it is worth noting we have nearly made it through three weeks of racing without Covid-19 spoiling the party. A small miracle, testimony to ASO's enforcement of the bubble or both? Fingers crossed this record extends until the ceremony in Paris on Sunday is done and dusted. It will be eerie watching that with hardly any crowd in attendance.

Reactions: SafeBet

So in the year we have a super contagious virus Tibo Pinot finally manages to not get sick and finish a tour:p.

And today I watched a great end to the tour also my team won the Limerick hurling championship so I would like to say a big HELLO to all the people who kept interrupting every thread and debate by telling us all with their expert knowledge that even trying to have sport in 2020 or 2021 was pointless and would fail so we should not bother try

Reactions: RedheadDane
I will freely admit I never expected the race to get to Paris without losing at least one team to Covid.

It’s been great and apart from day 1 the calendar shift has not really seen the weather make any appreciable difference to the way the race panned out.

It is worth noting that Slovenia held the first major post lockdown events with their national championships and the riders had a lot more freedom to train throughout compared to many countries like Spain and others which had very strict lockdowns. Possibly also that made it mentally easier for them to train at the required intensity because their lives were closer to normal so the prospect of a season restart felt more realistic. Contrast that with Valverde who has publicly said he did not expect to be racing again in 2020.

Same here, I was semi-sceptical about whether a GT was achievable under current conditions but it's all gone well and notwithstanding Covid, Stage 1 apart, the weather has been fantastic too. Happy to have been wrong. Here's hoping this can continue through the WC/Giro/Classics season.

I do wish they would do more to keep fans off the road on climbs. This year that should have been imperative but it should happen anyway.

TRENDING THREADS