• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Elbow Guards

Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
Looking for some guidance. Primarily a roadie and newish CX racer, I recently picked up mountain biking which I really enjoy. I’m 46 and have no interest in high-speed downhill or taking big risks on the trail. Nonetheless, today I had an unspectacular low-speed crash due to user error and banged up my left knee and elbow pretty good.
So, my question is – is it worth getting knee and elbow pads? I’m assuming they would have helped. I’m thinking lightweight and comfortable for the type of riding I do And I should also mention that I’m in Austin and the trails around here are pretty rocky. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Thank you.

Jun 8, 2023
Visit site
Looking for some guidance. Primarily a roadie and newish CX racer, I recently picked up mountain biking which I really enjoy. I’m 46 and have no interest in high-speed downhill or taking big risks on the trail. Nonetheless, today I had an unspectacular low-speed crash due to user error and banged up my left knee and elbow pretty good.
So, my question is – is it worth getting knee and elbow pads? I’m assuming they would have helped. I’m thinking lightweight and comfortable for the type of riding I do And I should also mention that I’m in Austin and the trails around here are pretty rocky. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Thank you.
Hello,

It is worth getting knee and elbow pads to protect yourself while mountain biking, especially if you have already experienced a crash. Look for lightweight and comfortable pads McDVOICE that provide adequate protection.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024
Visit site
Given your situation as a road cyclist and cyclocross racer transitioning into mountain biking, and considering the nature of your recent crash, investing in knee and elbow pads is a wise decision, especially when riding on rocky trails like those around Austin.

When looking for knee and elbow pads, prioritize these features:

1. Comfort: Since you'll be wearing them for extended periods, look for pads that are breathable and won't restrict your movement. Ventilation is key to keep you cool, especially in warmer climates.
  2. Protection: Ensure the pads offer adequate protection for the type of riding you do. They should have a durable outer layer to withstand impacts and a cushioned interior to absorb shocks.
  3. Fit: A good fit is crucial to keep the pads in place during a crash. Look for adjustable straps or sleeves that can be snugly fitted to your limbs.
  4. Lightweight: For the kind of riding you're doing, heavy-duty downhill pads may be overkill. Look for lightweight options that provide a balance between protection and mobility.
  5. Durability: High-quality materials will ensure the pads last longer, even with regular use on rocky trails.
mcdvoice

Thank you.
IMO, you have to do the calculation: if you ride 100 days and have one crash, is it worth wearing full pads? It also depends on what type of injury you wish to prevent: abrasions, contusions, soft tissue damage, broken bones...

In 30+ years (10,000 days?) of mountain bike riding/racing I have had maybe 10 crashes that I wish I would have had more protecion. Honestly, I can't imaging riding with knee pads for anything except for DH runs.