• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

epiphany or idiocy - GC |Charged, GC |Clean, Points | Charged... etc.

Simply add categories to all the races - yeah dopers and non dopers would be working together, but at least it might be more transparent?

and offers a compromise...

fanboys and haters living in harmony.

Riders Choice - Clean or Charged with full disclosure and no penalties.

They do it all the time in other sports, granted not with doping

eg. stock or modified and (a) UCI hour record (b) UCI best human effort (c) IHPVA/WHPVA hour record (km), etc.

We do it with equipment, why not "gear?"

Of course it would still only work with robust doping controls and oversight.

and maybe a 60/40, 70/30 (clean/charged) split in prize money... offers a financial incentive to ride clean?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Contador goes straight into the NASCAR league.

Not Nascar; they regulate everything and check the cars vigorously after. You mean NHRA where they have Stock, Pro Stock and Double AA Fueler. Contador would be in the last catagory.

TubularBills said:
and maybe a 60/40, 70/30 (clean/charged) split in prize money... offers a financial incentive to ride clean?

So since there's more money to be won as a clean rider as compared to a fuelled one, there's no incentive to cheat any longer? No reason whatsoever to charge and still say "I'm clean"?

And in pure riding terms there's no edge to be gained at all by still charging although riding on the "clean" side?

I like you're trying to change things, but I'm afraid this wouldn't do any good - more the opposite if anything.

JPM London said:
So since there's more money to be won as a clean rider as compared to a fuelled one, there's no incentive to cheat any longer? No reason whatsoever to charge and still say "I'm clean"?

And in pure riding terms there's no edge to be gained at all by still charging although riding on the "clean" side?

I like you're trying to change things, but I'm afraid this wouldn't do any good - more the opposite if anything.

agreed, which is why I added the caveat of:

"Of course it would still only work with robust doping controls and oversight."

in fact additional requirements could be enforced for entering the "clean' classification...

Oldman said:
Not Nascar; they regulate everything and check the cars vigorously after.

For instance public bio passports? et al... suggestions?

I was also thinking that (historical) returning suspended dopers could never return to the light side and would always be entrenched in the doper regiment. Would simplify the returning pariah syndrome ala Vinokourov - and would enable the tainted but fan favorite fallen heroes to participate in the sport without the tedium and salary hit of suspensions. Win, Win?

TubularBills said:
agreed, which is why I added the caveat of:

"Of course it would still only work with robust doping controls and oversight."

in fact additional requirements could be enforced for entering the "clean' classification...

For instance public bio passports? et al... suggestions?

But then I'd prefer there's basically "just" the robust doping control and oversight and not the clean/un-clean classification... In my mind the meds have no place in sports.

TubularBills said:
I was also thinking that (historical) returning suspended dopers could never return to the light side and would always be entrenched in the doper regiment. Would simplify the returning pariah syndrome ala Vinokourov - and would enable the tainted but fan favorite fallen heroes to participate in the sport without the tedium and salary hit of suspensions. Win, Win?

So basically if you'd been busted you be forced to dope for the rest of your career? Doesn't sound too ethical to me... I know your point is that they had the choice to be upfront and compete with other dopers from the beginning, but still.

I think the whole concept suffers from the problem that while it attempts to battle doping it at the same time says it's fine to do.

I don't know, I think I just prefer clean riding - full stop - and supporting some form of juiced riding is not me...

be something like this...

roids.jpg

TRENDING THREADS