• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Championships 2024

European Championships are kicking of from 10th to 14th of January in Apeldoorn/NL.

All days are broadcasted on Discovery+. Additionally E2 is broadcasting live from 10th to 13th of Janaury. Couldn't find any info if E2 is live on the 14th January.

Live timing, entry list and schedule:
https://www.uec.ch/en/event/215/2024-uec-track-elite-european-championships

Will be interesting who is aleady in form for the olympics, and who is not.

Reactions: kingjr
The Danish team was the favourites in the men's team pursuit, but had to settle for silver against the Brits. Their time in the first round was of course heavily influenced by the Germans being no match for them, but I was still surprised that Team GB was able to get the better of them.

The Italians got the bronze, but should obviously be more competitive in Paris when Ganna is back in the team.

The Italian women defeated the Brits in their final. It could also very well be those that'll meet each other in the Olympic final, although the Americans, Aussies and Kiwis shouldn't be discredited. The French team also had mechanical which should have resulted in a re-start and therefore didn't get to display their true level. I don't believe in the Germans at this stage.

Reactions: Didinho
Fratelli d'Italia! Why was Chiara Consonni so emotional? I know she normally also participates this discipline but is she injured or so? Because Fidanza and Paternoster will also ride tonight/tomorrow. Is Chiara riding something or just a reserve rider?

Fratelli d'Italia! Why was Chiara Consonni so emotional? I know she normally also participates this discipline but is she injured or so? Because Fidanza and Paternoster will also ride tonight/tomorrow. Is Chiara riding something or just a reserve rider?

I haven't heard of any injury. Her brother almost crashed the field in the Madison, but that probably didn't affect her.

The Danish team was the favourites in the men's team pursuit, but had to settle for silver against the Brits. Their time in the first round was of course heavily influenced by the Germans being no match for them, but I was still surprised that Team GB was able to get the better of them.

The Italians got the bronze, but should obviously be more competitive in Paris when Ganna is back in the team.

The Italian women defeated the Brits in their final. It could also very well be those that'll meet each other in the Olympic final, although the Americans, Aussies and Kiwis shouldn't be discredited. The French team also had mechanical which should have resulted in a re-start and therefore didn't get to display their true level. I don't believe in the Germans at this stage.

Don't forget that Archibald was also missing for the women Brits. I believe with Archibald they would have won easily as they did at the world championship last year.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Is it possible to see the afternoon session somewhere? Can't find a stream, only for the evening like on television. We're missing half of the omnium race that will start now.

No only evening session is broadcasted. Only on Sunday they will broadcasting the afternoon session as there is no evening session.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Archibald was also missing for the women Brits. I believe with Archibald they would have won easily as they did at the world championship last year.

Sure, a great rider can make a huge difference. The Belgians rode 9 seconds faster in the first round and almost made the bronze final by having Kopecky in the team.

Such a blessing that we have again such a successful women sprint team in Germany after Miriam Welte and Kristina Vogel.
Hopefully they can fullfil their dream in Paris and will become olympic champions.

It's going to be an exciting battle with the Brits and China/The Netherlands in Paris.

Reactions: JR1012
Chiara Consonni is riding the elimination race today, glad she’s not injured. Kopecky will be hard to beat once again.

Good to see Paternoster back in better form, solid 6th place in the omnium. (2 times 2nd).

Edit: Kopecky is also riding the points race just before the elimination. So she won’t be 100%.

Chiara Consonni is riding the elimination race today, glad she’s not injured. Kopecky will be hard to beat once again.

Good to see Paternoster back in better form, solid 6th place in the omnium. (2 times 2nd).

Edit: Kopecky is also riding the points race just before the elimination. So she won’t be 100%.

Is Kopecky riding the madison?
I assume De Clercq will be her partner then, since it doesn't look like Hélène Hesters is around.
I don't really know much about Lani Wittevrongel, so I was surprised to see her get a medal in the scratch race, but she might be a candidate for the Olympics as well if she can ride like that.

Double up for Kopecky. I nearly thought Consonni would come past and deny her a medal in the elimination race, but there was no doubt about the winner in the end.
Yeah I was following/supporting Conso the whole race and thought she was one of the strongest untill Kopecky left a little gap. Think she had something left for a medal. Kopecky too strong in the end, had a good warmup with the race before lol.

Is Kopecky riding the madison?
I assume De Clercq will be her partner then, since it doesn't look like Hélène Hesters is around.
I don't really know much about Lani Wittevrongel, so I was surprised to see her get a medal in the scratch race, but she might be a candidate for the Olympics as well if she can ride like that.
Wittevrongel was a Junior European champion on this event, but surprised herself with the pro’s. She’s small (1m52) but really good.

Edit: yes she’s doing the madison with Katrijn De Clercq.

Last edited:
Final medal table:

euro-2024.png

Niklas Larsen almost won the omnium yesterday due to a great points race and to day he stepped in for a sick Tobias Aagaard and won the regular points race in dominant fashion.

It was good battle between France and Belgium in the women's madison, but it was a shame that Elinor Barker was taken out by a crash, after Neah Evans had won the first sprint. Fortunately it looked like she was ok. That crash also took down both of the Pikuliks, but they were able to carry on.