Eurosport commentary

Page 198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hey man, I feel ya. But at least you get a feed.
Tiz-cycling has been a reliable source for a while, but now the screen freezes every two or three seconds. In the meantime, I've missed defining moments of the race; and given the fact those moments were accompanied by my man CK waxing poetic, it's enough to ruin someone's day.
I find cyclingstream.com freezes less than tiz.

Hey man, I feel ya. But at least you get a feed.
Tiz-cycling has been a reliable source for a while, but now the screen freezes every two or three seconds. In the meantime, I've missed defining moments of the race; and given the fact those moments were accompanied by my man CK waxing poetic, it's enough to ruin someone's day.
Watch out at the start of next season for the GCN half-price offer. It was only £20 for me here in the country that used to "own" Ireland, so it'll be the equivalent of that in your ex-colony. That way you can just listen on demand and have Carlton speak to you all day long.

What is actually 24 year old Manon Llody (unremarkable former track-/failed roadcyclist) doing among the GCN/Eurosport experts? I mean you got guys like Contador, Wiggns or Shawn Kelly and the others are at least well known, long time (former) procyclists..
More female presenters is great and I think Cherie Pridham is a knowledgeable addition to the team (unlike Smith she's good enough to get paid to be a DS) but yeah Manon is not exactly an expert. I hope Jo Rowsell doesn't get added though as she only acknowledges Brit riders so we'd just have to listen to hours about Lizzie Diegnan.,

Reactions: Andy262
More female presenters is great and I think Cherie Pridham is a knowledgeable addition to the team (unlike Smith she's good enough to get paid to be a DS) but yeah Manon is not exactly an expert. I hope Jo Rowsell doesn't get added though as she only acknowledges Brit riders so we'd just have to listen to hours about Lizzie Diegnan.,
Yea this wasnt about her being female, if it was a male retired 24 year old former entirely unsuccesful PCT rider I would ask the same. Its just that the other pundits are usually somewhat recognizble faces because they had a lengthy at least somewhat successful pro cycling career at the highest level and/or have been in the cycling media business for a long time.

There are other former low level pros doing youtube videos for GCN but you usually dont seem them being ask for their expert opinion on Eurosport/GCN broadcasts of WT races.

Yea this wasnt about her being female, if it was a male retired 24 year old former entirely unsuccesful PCT rider I would ask the same. Its just that the other pundits are usually somewhat recognizble faces because they had a lengthy at least somewhat successful pro cycling career at the highest level and/or have been in the cycling media business for a long time.

There are other former low level pros doing youtube videos for GCN but you usually dont seem them being ask for their expert opinion on Eurosport/GCN broadcasts of WT races.
Lloyd is clearly trying to work full time in media/video/tv. Any anglophone former pro wno can speak coherently and has presenting experience and is actively trying to get more work of this sort has a reasonable chance of getting some. Having been successful as a pro helps, but is certainly not a requirement.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Lloyd is clearly trying to work full time in media/video/tv. Any anglophone former pro wno can speak coherently and has presenting experience and is actively trying to get more work of this sort has a reasonable chance of getting some. Having been successful as a pro helps, but is certainly not a requirement.
Yeah Karsten Migels has been German cyclo cross champion in the 80s, before he became a sports journalist coming from the track announcer route.

Robert Bengsch has been military tt champion, has won the Tour of Alsace and of course was a track cyclist before becoming an announcer at track cycling events and then joining Eurosport as an expert. Since he has been main-reporter at the opening weekend this spring Eurosport probably tries to develop him into a commentator role as well.

So while it may seem odd for Manon Lloyd to join as an expert in first instance. If it's just her entree and they intend to let her develop into a truly sports journalist I understand it.

Migels always is a good example why such a move can be prosperous. Because he combines passion and knowledge of the sport with journalistic skills.

Whether that's going to be successful with Bengsch & Lloyd is yet to be seen. Bengsch has good approaches. He's alert. Knows a lot about talents and informs the user. Talks a bit dry though. Can't rate Lloyd, because I basically only hear her at the predictor.

Dunno if Eurosport still sends people to the Paris headquarters for journalistic apprenticeship like they did with Migels though!

Last edited:
...where i live is technically britain.....but i'm a geordie........

...small minded...i know....

Mark L
I thought you needed a passport to get into that area?!

On the Manon Lloyd Situation, I think its possibly similar to Hannah Walker. She has come on board to the Eurosport/GCN broadcasts every so often during the Giro and the Tour. She was also in the role as the expert at last years Vuelta for the international broadcast package from ASO/Unipublic and I remember that people weren't very keen on her as a commentator in that. I definitely noticed a difference between Walker's Giro and Tour commentary. She's also done commentary on other ASO events with Anthony Macrossan, the britsh elite road series highlights packages and zwift racing commentary so all of this as well as being a Communications and Social Media Manager (according to her Insta bio) for her former racing team of WNT, it definitely brings her towards the mould of what others were mentioning what Lloyd could also become.

.....i'm no fan but i recognise that carlton is way better/more professional than many turd rate presenters on ES......he always delivers seamlessly whatever does/doesn't happen

.....+ he has imagination with such colourful turns of phrase

...that's a buumer that your screen freezes delgados....each time i watch the vuelta i appreciate
the wonderful hi definition images that i am able to watch...

Mark L

My French is by no means perfect but surely Remy Rochas should not be pronounced 'Rohas/Rojas'. I expect mispronunciations from Carlton but isn't Sean fluent in French? Unless it's some alternative 'ch' sound that I'm not aware of

Reactions: Sandisfan

ASK THE COMMUNITY