• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 281 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How does the ITV broadcast of the TdF compare?
The live stage or the highlights?

The highlights show is probably the best way to watch it,still following the format they did over 30 years ago when it was on Channel 4, but which shows you how good it is because there ain't another sports show that hasn't fundamentally changed in that period.

The live stage stuff. They have too many ad breaks, and whilst Millar/Boulting work well together, they often don't have alot to say about the race or the stage itself, and often do the start, head off for lunch and only come back for the end, the rest of the time you get Pippa York & Matt Rendall sharing comms, and again they don't really have alot to say that's that interesting.

So Eurosport, even with it's annoyances can be better viewing

Reactions: Wyndbrook
The live stage stuff. They have too many ad breaks, and whilst Millar/Boulting work well together, they often don't have alot to say about the race or the stage itself, and often do the start, head off for lunch and only come back for the end, the rest of the time you get Pippa York & Matt Rendall sharing comms, and again they don't really have alot to say that's that interesting.

So Eurosport, even with it's annoyances can be better viewing
Don't think York will feature this summer:

View: https://twitter.com/pippa_york/status/1796997530049237121

I decided to go back to Itv 4 for the tour, I was getting a bit fed up with orla, adam etcs antics, think they getting too big for their boots. Although Dan can be a borefest at times , he knows his stuff and sad to see him go. Not missing Hatch or Carlton either. 2 stages in and things have been good so far, i,ll not switch back . Never though i,d turn my back on Orla as she does Norn Iron proud, but thats the way it goes

I decided to go back to Itv 4 for the tour, I was getting a bit fed up with orla, adam etcs antics, think they getting too big for their boots. Although Dan can be a borefest at times , he knows his stuff and sad to see him go. Not missing Hatch or Carlton either. 2 stages in and things have been good so far, i,ll not switch back . Never though i,d turn my back on Orla as she does Norn Iron proud, but thats the way it goes

the problem I think Eurosport/Discovery have created is this whole "breakaway" show thing is becoming what they feel is the sole purpose of what and why theyre there for, instead of them being secondary to the actual race itself.

I dont tune in for 50mins of pre stage bantz and increasingly weird and wacky cgi presentations of things, I want to watch the race live, lets learn the parcours as we go. I actually want to watch the start of the race, even if its a "boring" neutral zone because its the start of the race, and its important and has some significance, where as presenter bantz doesnt.

ITV does better because Gary Imlach is never going to let Peter Kennaugh or any of his co hosts try their best random impression at miming whipping & riding a race horse.

and Eurosport cant use the excuse like is normally trotted out as to why we get such extended pre live show,as the host broadcaster doenst give then the full feed, this is the TdF, theyre broadcasting the starts live on Twitter/X, the feeds are absolutely there if they wanted them, instead theyd rather use the best part of an hour almost be as bad as Sky, to make themselves feel more important

the problem I think Eurosport/Discovery have created is this whole "breakaway" show thing is becoming what they feel is the sole purpose of what and why theyre there for, instead of them being secondary to the actual race itself.

I dont tune in for 50mins of pre stage bantz and increasingly weird and wacky cgi presentations of things, I want to watch the race live, lets learn the parcours as we go. I actually want to watch the start of the race, even if its a "boring" neutral zone because its the start of the race, and its important and has some significance, where as presenter bantz doesnt.

ITV does better because Gary Imlach is never going to let Peter Kennaugh or any of his co hosts try their best random impression at miming whipping & riding a race horse.

and Eurosport cant use the excuse like is normally trotted out as to why we get such extended pre live show,as the host broadcaster doenst give then the full feed, this is the TdF, theyre broadcasting the starts live on Twitter/X, the feeds are absolutely there if they wanted them, instead theyd rather use the best part of an hour almost be as bad as Sky, to make themselves feel more important
I just watch the 'multi audio version' as I got fed with the breakaway. As for ITV's coverage, the adverts totally kill it for me.

Got to agree re Jacopo...very good indeed , witty and intelligent unlike some of the crew on ES/Discovery plus

ITV highlights show is the best coverage out there with Imlach very funny and Daniel Friebe great at behind the scenes stuff and interviews

ES interviews are abysmal ....long convoluted questions that ensures we hear more of the interviewer than the riders

And Rob Hatch doing a David Dimbleby on all stages, impressing upon us again and again how hallowed, historical and hyper entertaining it all is .:rolleyes:

While Adam Blythe's insults the listener by his lack of preparedness and attention, prefering to act the mick than bring anything to the commentary. He is NOT funny yet he and other members of the team thinks he is hilarious..give me Pippa York or Brain Smith any day , at least they have something of worth to say

And as for Carlton Kirby ...I sometimes wonder does he know where he is ?
I do like Sean Kelly, Robbie Mcewen and Matt Stephens and I did like Dan Llyod.

I don't watch the Breakaway

Can somebody shut up Kelly sometimes. He talks and talks and talks and talks, Roglic in trouble, but well, he's on one of his monologues, can't be bothered to look at the race, his monologue needs to be finished.

Carlton Kirby happy to say nothing of interest either, at least tell us who's in the Bernal group at some point. At the very latest when they are at the finish, but no, the 2 keep talking about whatever they were talking at the time.

Can somebody shut up Kelly sometimes. He talks and talks and talks and talks, Roglic in trouble, but well, he's on one of his monologues, can't be bothered to look at the race, his monologue needs to be finished.

Carlton Kirby happy to say nothing of interest either, at least tell us who's in the Bernal group at some point. At the very latest when they are at the finish, but no, the 2 keep talking about whatever they were talking at the time.
I don't know how long Sean Kelly has been a tv analyst for (20+ years ?) but, if you're not fishing, this surely has to be the first time anyone has been critical of him for being overly talkative!

Reactions: Abedfo and yaco
Colby saying Barguil and Bardet were dropping away from the peloton so as to do something special in the ITT tomorrow.

why do they so often feel like they have to fill every space with words even if these words are completely ridiculous.
Maybe he meant they would do 25km of wheelies or do bunnyhops or do the TT on a tricycle. Don't be so dismissive.