• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 286 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I got to listen to Jose Been (with Brian Smith), and not Kirby. Which is almost as bad. The commentary was mostly about which Olympic sports she enjoyed watching.

I cannot listen to her ..she is beyond dreadful in so many ways

As for solo comms ..maybe ES should ask a pro rider past/present to guest on the race is they want to get a bit of exposure to comms .. I think alot would like to give it a go ..never know they might make a find

Who was the female with Liggett on Peacock in the US
I watch Chris Horner do his YouTube thing, depending on his mood he will take shots at Bob Roll and Vandevelde. I listened to 5 minutes of Vande- Roll coverage.. not good for me anymore..
I do think that Horner has his own version of Hot Tub Time Machine, he posts videos often hours or days after the race and tries to come off as a wily cycling statesman, because after all he knows the outcome of the race, maybe heard multiple perspectives from winners, losers and their teammates, managers. Enjoyable!!. NBC needs a change..
Horner acts as confident and careless sometimes like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day!!

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I cannot listen to her ..she is beyond dreadful in so many ways

As for solo comms ..maybe ES should ask a pro rider past/present to guest on the race is they want to get a bit of exposure to comms .. I think alot would like to give it a go ..never know they might make a find
Not being a hard core racing expert I like her voice (which is one of the key things I listen for in a commentator) unlike the whining nasal drone of Dani Rowe( and her competin' cyclin' sprintin' etc) or Dani Christmas and her inability to pronounce 'th'. I find them both intensely irritating. See also the croaky voiced Matt Rendall.

Reactions: xo 1 and awavey
You know, it's times like today when I wonder why my man Carlton Kirby takes so much heat from the hoi polloi.
Here he is calling the final kilometre of todays Vuelta stage in ways that only one person can follow: Robbie McEwen. I submit that my man CK and RM are a match made in heaven.
Oftentimes over the years I've noticed how CK's side-kick (umm-hmm, Sean Kelly, for example) are left speechless when Carlton hands over the mic after waxing philosophical and intertwining race details with references to literature. I think the term is called dead air.
But not Robbie McEwen. Robbie knows how to keep up, and often has little bon mots of his own. For example, today my man CK suggested that the chasers were staring into the abyss in the last kilometre. Without a beat, Robbie confirmed CK's suspicions by adding that the riders were "staring the whites out of each others eyes."
See, that's how it's done.
Kudos.

I watch Chris Horner do his YouTube thing, depending on his mood he will take shots at Bob Roll and Vandevelde. I listened to 5 minutes of Vande- Roll coverage.. not good for me anymore..
I do think that Horner has his own version of Hot Tub Time Machine, he posts videos often hours or days after the race and tries to come off as a wily cycling statesman, because after all he knows the outcome of the race, maybe heard multiple perspectives from winners, losers and their teammates, managers. Enjoyable!!. NBC needs a change..
Horner acts as confident and careless sometimes like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day!!

Horner is bitter that NBC chose to keep CVV and Bob Roll over him a few years ago. not surprising since they've both been with the network for a decade (actually almost 25 years in Bob's case going back to OLN). i can see taking shots at Bob, he says some dumb sh*t sometimes, but CVV is excellent, especially on the motorbike during the TDF.

You know, it's times like today when I wonder why my man Carlton Kirby takes so much heat from the hoi polloi.
Here he is calling the final kilometre of todays Vuelta stage in ways that only one person can follow: Robbie McEwen. I submit that my man CK and RM are a match made in heaven.
Oftentimes over the years I've noticed how CK's side-kick (umm-hmm, Sean Kelly, for example) are left speechless when Carlton hands over the mic after waxing philosophical and intertwining race details with references to literature. I think the term is called dead air.
But not Robbie McEwen. Robbie knows how to keep up, and often has little bon mots of his own. For example, today my man CK suggested that the chasers were staring into the abyss in the last kilometre. Without a beat, Robbie confirmed CK's suspicions by adding that the riders were "staring the whites out of each others eyes."
Kudos.
Robbie McEwen and Carlton Kirby actually have really good chemistry IMO.

Kudos.
"You know what happens when you put a cucumber in a microwave - it goes pop - and that's the legs of Alaphilippe right now" - This is a literal quote from KC and he serves 100's of those very poor metaphores during a race. It's completely worthless imo. Combined with maybe 40 dry dad-jokes during a race that Kelly, Lloyd, McEwan and Brian Smith never find even remotely amusing.

Your man CK makes the viewing experience a lot less enjoyable than it should be. Ambient or language I don't understand is typically pref to CK. At least he is not extremly biased like so many other broadcast - I'll give him that. And it's the most important thing.

"You know what happens when you put a cucumber in a microwave - it goes pop - and that's the legs of Alaphilippe right now" - This is a literal quote from KC and he serves 100's of those very poor metaphores during a race. It's completely worthless imo. Combined with maybe 40 dry dad-jokes during a race that Kelly, Lloyd, McEwan and Brian Smith never find even remotely amusing.

Your man CK makes the viewing experience a lot less enjoyable than it should be. Ambient or language I don't understand is typically pref to CK. At least he is not extremly biased like so many other broadcast - I'll give him that. And it's the most important thing.
Wow, Pozzovivo, don't sugar coat things. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Pozzo, let me introduce you to the hordes of philistines and malcontents on this forum who share your point of view. You have plenty of company, and your remarks are duly noted.
But you're terribly misguided, Pozzovivo. Just like all the others. I don't know where it all went wrong, but I hope that one day you will realize the error of your ways.
Godspeed, Pozzovivo.