• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

elfed68 said:
TMP402 said:
elfed68 said:
How anyone can complain about the Eurosport commentary when the BBC coverage of the Prudential Ride London and the Olympics is terrible.

Half the London commentary was done by... Eurosport's Brian Smith.

Brian Smith is excellent, Simon Brotherton is terrible

I remember watching Dwars door Vlaanderen, which he commentated on, and his epic failure to call a sprint (he literally doesn't mention Debusschere until a couple of seconds after the race had ended). He was terrible in Rio, but he wasn't helped by the equal awfulness of the TV coverage, to be fair.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I wouldn't mind a job as a Eurosport commentator tbh

I bet you'd be total shite!
Stick to spamming anything that's British as you're of Olympic standard.

Saying that, Simon Brotherton made the Eurosport guys sound pretty amazing and underpaid during the Olympic RR and TT, he was also shi...

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
We sat through 2+ hours of Big Brendan Foster slating the leading British runner in the Rio marathon yesterday saying he had no idea what he was doing & shouldn't be at the front... to go on & finish 9th (highest GB finisher since Jon Brown in 2000 & 2004 I think) with a perfectly paced run.
I cringe at Kirby, but he certainly isn't the worst out there & he keeps my wife entertained which in turn means if there's cycling on then there's no discussion re watching it! Also helps that she loves a bit of Kelly bingo!

Re:

CaptainSpenno said:
We sat through 2+ hours of Big Brendan Foster slating the leading British runner in the Rio marathon yesterday saying he had no idea what he was doing & shouldn't be at the front... to go on & finish 9th (highest GB finisher since Jon Brown in 2000 & 2004 I think) with a perfectly paced run.
I cringe at Kirby, but he certainly isn't the worst out there & he keeps my wife entertained which in turn means if there's cycling on then there's no discussion re watching it! Also helps that she loves a bit of Kelly bingo!

There's a difference though. Foster used to do the thing he commentates on for a living. Kirby is just some guy.

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
There's a difference though. Foster used to do the thing he commentates on for a living. Kirby is just some guy.
Ah but now Foster runs Nova/Great Run for a living...hence his obsession with Farah (needs him in the GNR for £££) & anybody else is an also-ran. Kirby drives me mad throughout the day but I do find he calls the very end of a messy stage better than others. A Millar/Kelly combo would keep me & Mrs S happy!

i couldn't believe how long it took them to identify that Fernandez (who was in the red jersey at the time) was dropped from the leading group the other day. its not like that's a point of interest. unless they don't get the feed at the same time as the viewer.

And it happened again yesterday on the atempted 3 km to go breakaway with Gilbert: Kirby describing Clarke as the rider who "would have won Milan - San Remo" but for some unspecified catastrophe.

Can someone jog my memory about his potentially race winning move? I've looked at a few race reviews that don't mention him at all, and all I can find is that he was at the front of the peloton with more than 100km to go according to the CN text commentary.

Might he mean another year? He did come as high as 32nd once.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
And it happened again yesterday on the atempted 3 km to go breakaway with Gilbert: Kirby describing Clarke as the rider who "would have won Milan - San Remo" but for some unspecified catastrophe.

Can someone jog my memory about his potentially race winning move? I've looked at a few race reviews that don't mention him at all, and all I can find is that he was at the front of the peloton with more than 100km to go according to the CN text commentary.

Might he mean another year? He did come as high as 32nd once.

No, Clarke was never in a position to win MSR, it was just that Kirby hyped him for it incessantly in the early part of this season, and clearly, as usual, had money on him to win. He often tried to get his co-commentator to agree that Clarke was a favourite, and there would be a long pause as Smith/Bäckstedt/Kelly thought to themselves "Who is Carlton throwing away money on now? How embarrassing. I wish he could just do his job. Declan Quigley wouldn't do this to me", before they mustered up a very lukewarm "yes, well, err, he's certainly up there".

Re:

StephenC2020 said:
They also missed the crash in the last km yesterday, which you know, was on screen. They then proceed to be confused about what has happened as usual.
Considering crashes in the final km's were in the cycling media, Kirby is still thinking that there was only one crash (Kruiswijk's). Kelly was yesterday, but that was the heat of the moment. Today he has obviously done his research and learnt that there was two different incidents. The obvious answer is for Kirby to do his research before they go on air.