• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evan's Puncture

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
It is late in asking this question, but it seems that Cadel is still extremely upset about the circumstances surrounding his untimely puncture--the extremely slow wheel change, the penalty, etc....
It seems that he had a teammate in the group he was in.
Why didn't he just ask for his wheel at the time? It would have the easiest thing.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
He didn't have a teammate in the group. He had a teammate several minutes up the road. couldn't have helped him with the wheel.

Now, it was odd that the teammate didn't drop back to help him once Evans got going again. That makes no sense to me. I"m not sure it would have made a huge difference, but I guarantee you most of the other teams would have done it.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I was gutted for Evans. Almost Denny Menchov-style luck. Not sure why neutral support couldn't assist (an 11-cog freewheel perhaps?). Support from his team wasn't good either. I could see him timetrial into another bridesmaid spot, but it looks like he will never get to throw the flowers.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Poor guy, so much bad luck, but I think he really needs to get over it. I mean, we all know it pretty much cost him the Vuelta etc. but thats ALL he's talked about since then.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:
Poor guy, so much bad luck, but I think he really needs to get over it. I mean, we all know it pretty much cost him the Vuelta etc. but thats ALL he's talked about since then.
It's not that it is all he has talked about; it is the way all of the questions from the press have been slanted since the event.

He would quite happily not talk about it at all.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
It's not that it is all he has talked about; it is the way all of the questions from the press have been slanted since the event.

He would quite happily not talk about it at all.

People say evans whinges about everything but when the media asks questions which are going to cause an opinion, people perceive that he keeps going on about it but it's the media who keeps asking and going on about it.

He could quite easily not comment any further since he's only rehashing what's already been said. That's why it's perceived as whineing because he continues to field questions on the topic. That and the fact that he's taken the "why does this always happen to me" personna, which only adds to the whiney nature of his public image. He needs a better pr rep.

powderpuff said:
Yes he does.
You have been quiet lately, hope you have been behaving yourself and expressing your new found love and respect of Cadel.:D

Cuddles continues to endear himself to me at every turn. I've got my Silence Lotto kit and special Cuddles Canyon frame on order for next season. You have to know he's my most fav rider! ;)

I've been watching the Vuelta torn between rooting for Valverde and feeling bad about doing so because of his pending suspension. Plus I've been riding more after my form improved to the point that my body can do what my mind commands which hasn't been the case for the past 2 years.:)

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I only got to see the replays on Spanish TV, so couldn't understand the commentary, but found it odd that a team leader had to stand about like a lemon for as long as that.

I've not always been the biggest fan of Cadel, but the thought of Valverde winning it puts me right behind the Aussie.

OK, so I am not a fan of Evans. But if I were in his shoes in this particular case, I would be frank in my opinion about it as well. The neutral service, media vehicles in the way, and exellent team direction cost him big time, possibly the whole shebang!! I would be steaming pissed with the whole thing, as it is a foul smelling pile of smoking cow shit! Some folks should get fired for this type of stuff, like perhaps the nontral wheel service? And is Redant the SL director, cause the team did not have its collective shyte together either.

Again, I will say I am no fan of Evans. But if this had happened to Valverde or Contador or (god forbid) Armstrong, the outcry would just be stupid.

TRENDING THREADS