• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans: Too heavy?

Horner's recent statements about his weight were interesting. He says he is 5.5 pounds lower than his usual lowest weight and a whopping ten pounds below his usual race weight. Bruyneel's riders often look really skeletal, more so than the usual pro. Hincapie was a stick figure, and the Spring pics of Contador were frightening.

Even 5.5 pounds is huge. It is nearly a 4% decrease in weight.

Would a four or five percent decrease in Evans weight give him the edge to win the TdF?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Horner's recent statements about his weight were interesting. He says he is 5.5 pounds lower than his usual lowest weight and a whopping ten pounds below his usual race weight.

Humm... based on the Lance history, I think it means Horner can win le Tour this year :D, somebody go call a Texan researcher to write a paper on that we may have the next Nobel prize in the making :D

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Would a four or five percent decrease in Evans weight give him the edge to win the TdF?

I think so.

But it's tricky with riders who aren't natural ectomorphs. Might lose disproportionate power in TT. I know what Riis would do with Evans. Getting the weight off would certainly be priority #1. Then much more explosiveness training, changing doses/lengths of intervals #2. Then #3, get some teammates, LOL. :D

I'm giving Horner the benefit of the doubt so far, given everyone knows he's been a notorious junk food eater. At least he has a credible reason. Makes sense.

Vande Velde, I don't think so (gluten, LOL). But then again, who knows? Allergies can really screw up a person's system in a macro sense: chronic inflammation, poorer recovery, breathing issues, etc. My experience as a fitness cyclist.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Evans comes in at 150 and probably races at 146 or so. He has a bit of a broad set structure making him look bigger on TV since cameras make you look big LOL, but he isnt very heavy. His FTP (doped) is probably 390 or so.