• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 624 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I’m not sure how invested he is based on his comments that he would mix it up and not try to win every race. However, IMO, he should ride aggressively for the win not only for the entertainment and the win but also to practice a different approach. He will very likely be on the back foot during this Tour and needs practice riding differently.
Agree. During the Tour, staying in the wheels and take a few seconds here and there uphill outsprinting Vingegaard (also Pogacar and Evenepoel ?) will not be sufficient to win the Tour. He has to change tactics, and already attack from further away. In Paris-Nice or in Basque Country. Maybe risking a defeat on his first try.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
He wants to see if Roglic needs to change tactics compared to how he used to ride, because he used to be #1 in the GC.

Yeah, basically, considering Rogla is now rather far behind in term of GC chances, at PN, it makes sense to determine if keeping your winning ways or listening to forum advisors, on what makes the most sense. Just like TTT stress test exposed some weaknesses in need to get addressed, team vise. If you move from arguably the best team in the peloton to a team that is not there yet, then you have to expect some of that.

Said all that it was a TTT and not a lack of individual quality. So the remaining five stages should show if some adjustments are needed on individual level too, or not.

Reactions: danielovichdk2
What should Rogla do then, yesterday, spare them? For what purpose and why would that be a good thing? He rode like a Tour champion would, and his team was able to cope with setting such tempo till the intermediate. So all in all they still have some work to do, they are not there yet, as a team.

Rogla being more considerate might have gained them a second or two, but that would only hurt them on the long run. On top of that it wouldn't put Rogla in better position in regards to this race, on where nearly a minute was lost.

What should Rogla do then, yesterday, spare them? For what purpose and why would that be a good thing? He rode like a Tour champion would, and his team was able to cope with setting such tempo till the intermediate. So all in all they still have some work to do, they are not there yet, as a team.

Rogla being more considerate might have gained them a second or two, but that would only hurt them on the long run. On top of that it wouldn't put Rogla in better position in regards to this race, on where nearly a minute was lost.
There's a big difference between that and wanting to put his team in difficulty. He didn't want to put his team in difficulty. Only a madman would want that. He did what he thought was best while hoping his team would get in as little difficulty as possible and hold on as long as possible.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Guys Ill find a way to spin this just give me some time

I'll spin it into a therapy session, i.e. a relaxing therapy session. With some meditation.

Just... relax. Nothing here matters. It's not even like he was dropped or anything (2 seconds I guess). Maybe the idea was to ride hard as a team for training purposes, or to wear the rivals down, or maybe it was defensive i.e. Rog didn't feel so well so Bora kept a sustained pace which prevented attacks. Who knows. But I've watched way too many bike races to bother myself with introspection & hyper analysis of a stage like the one we just watched.

A bit like stage 3 of the Vuelta 2023 (the MTF which Evenepoel won in Andorra before crashing after the finish). People were losing their minds about Rog's form (or lack thereof) then as well.

I'll spin it into a therapy session, i.e. a relaxing therapy session. With some meditation.

Just... relax. Nothing here matters. It's not even like he was dropped or anything (2 seconds I guess). Maybe the idea was to ride hard as a team for training purposes, or to wear the rivals down, or maybe it was defensive i.e. Rog didn't feel so well so Bora kept a sustained pace which prevented attacks. Who knows. But I've watched way too many bike races to bother myself with introspection & hyper analysis of a stage like the one we just watched.

A bit like stage 3 of the Vuelta 2023 (the MTF which Evenepoel won in Andorra before crashing after the finish). People were losing their minds about Rog's form (or lack thereof) then as well.
On review, I think the team rode quite slowly on the climbs. They drilled the descent of Brouilly, but never put pressure on uphill. So maybe they rode today to control the pace of the race?

Reactions: Sandisfan