• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think Roglic will be the new Bennett. He already showed more in GT's than Bennett with the 4th place in the 2018 Tour and 3rd in the 2019 Giro plus he is one of the best if not the best, one week stage racer in the peloton.
However I don't know if he will race the Tour next year, if Jumbo wants to have two riders that are able to win the Tour he should go, if not maybe Giro-Olympics-Vuelta-Worlds could be a better option.

Roglic is better than Bennett, I think.

I hope Jumbo sends Roglic, Dumoulin and Bennett/Kruijswijk to the Tour next year.

If you want to beat Ineos you need to bring a big hammer.

Roglic seems like a pretty reasonable guy. I doubt he'd pitch a fit if he had to ride as co-leader or even Option No. 2 for Dumoulin, who I think is as good as any current GT winner, if not better.

Roglic is better than Bennett, I think.

I hope Jumbo sends Roglic, Dumoulin and Bennett/Kruijswijk to the Tour next year.

If you want to beat Ineos you need to bring a big hammer.

Roglic seems like a pretty reasonable guy. I doubt he'd pitch a fit if he had to ride as co-leader or even Option No. 2 for Dumoulin, who I think is as good as any current GT winner, if not better.

oh man, roglic as number 2 for Dumoulin, based on what ? I dd leave if I was him; Bahrain needs a new leader

I mean, I don't think they would make either of them ride in "a train" so to speak for the other one. They will be like Froome/Thomas last year or Bernal/Thomas this year. In the end Primož said he wants to win the Tour. If he does, he needs to be better than Tom no matter if he is on his or another team. Jumbo is a great team, they have very good support, equipment, everything. I don't think they will make Roglič a domestique for Tom. Let us be fair. One has 17 wins in the last 2 years, the other has 2 (albeit better results in the GTs so far). I think Kruiswijk will now focus on the Giro with maybe Bennet as the second man there and at least one of them if not both will help in the Tour. The one who is in trouble is Groenewegen. If you really want to support Tom and Primož next year you cannot have a sprint train. And both Teunissen and Van Aert can sprint on a very high level while being much more versatile and valuable to the team.

Reactions: KZD
oh man, roglic as number 2 for Dumoulin, based on what ? I dd leave if I was him; Bahrain needs a new leader

Based on the fact that JV appears to be going all in on the Tour and need two fresh big guns to counter whoever Ineos brings.

A TTT with Roglic and Dumoulin could bring some pretty big gaps. Is Roglic better than Kruisjwijk? It's hard to say -- 3rd at Giro v.s 3rd at TdF. (albeit both without Dumoulin in the field...).

(I don't disagree that Roglic should be No. 1 for another team, however. I wouldn't be shocked if he transferred.)

I mean, I don't think they would make either of them ride in "a train" so to speak for the other one. They will be like Froome/Thomas last year or Bernal/Thomas this year. In the end Primož said he wants to win the Tour. If he does, he needs to be better than Tom no matter if he is on his or another team. Jumbo is a great team, they have very good support, equipment, everything. I don't think they will make Roglič a domestique for Tom. Let us be fair. One has 17 wins in the last 2 years, the other has 2 (albeit better results in the GTs so far). I think Kruiswijk will now focus on the Giro with maybe Bennet as the second man there and at least one of them if not both will help in the Tour. The one who is in trouble is Groenewegen. If you really want to support Tom and Primož next year you cannot have a sprint train. And both Teunissen and Van Aert can sprint on a very high level while being much more versatile and valuable to the team.

I agree that Roglic wouldn't be part of a train, per se. I was impressed how Ineos finessed the "co leader"thing in the last two Tours (vs. how Movistar seems to have bungled it).

Roglic is a great rider, with an incredible palmares and progression. However, Dumoulin is clearly better. I don't think you can argue quantity vs. quality of wins. One TdF is worth 20 Paris-Nices, frankly. Maybe 30.

Please don't get me wrong -- I was pulling for Roglic at the Giro, but he wasn't at Carapaz's level, and even a train couldn't have gotten him up the Mortirolo. And I really do hope he wins a GT, sooner rather than later. However, I'd most like to see Ineos get dethroned at the Tour, and I think a Dumoulin/Roglic pairing is the best chance.

Jumbo will have roster latent with talent. Roglic had no issue riding co-leader with Steve at the 2018 Tour. I think he'd do the same with Big Tom without a problem. The strongest will become the leader. I'm hoping Primoz breaks his GT duck in the Vuelta and shows he can handle 3 weeks comfortably. Then let's go from there :).

Based on the fact that JV appears to be going all in on the Tour and need two fresh big guns to counter whoever Ineos brings.

A TTT with Roglic and Dumoulin could bring some pretty big gaps. Is Roglic better than Kruisjwijk? It's hard to say -- 3rd at Giro v.s 3rd at TdF. (albeit both without Dumoulin in the field...).

(I don't disagree that Roglic should be No. 1 for another team, however. I wouldn't be shocked if he transferred.)
Great, so Tom can be number 2 for Rogla
really ? its hard to say, come on
every other team than Dutch radobank would put Kruisjwijk as number 2 for roglic

But in the end I agree, TTT for JV will be insane; no one can come close.

I agree that Roglic wouldn't be part of a train, per se. I was impressed how Ineos finessed the "co leader"thing in the last two Tours (vs. how Movistar seems to have bungled it).

Roglic is a great rider, with an incredible palmares and progression. However, Dumoulin is clearly better. I don't think you can argue quantity vs. quality of wins. One TdF is worth 20 Paris-Nices, frankly. Maybe 30.

Please don't get me wrong -- I was pulling for Roglic at the Giro, but he wasn't at Carapaz's level, and even a train couldn't have gotten him up the Mortirolo. And I really do hope he wins a GT, sooner rather than later. However, I'd most like to see Ineos get dethroned at the Tour, and I think a Dumoulin/Roglic pairing is the best chance.

I mean again, based on what; I can say it also Roglic is clearly better than Tom

He posted this.

BolLB7g.png

Jumbo will have roster latent with talent. Roglic had no issue riding co-leader with Steve at the 2018 Tour. I think he'd do the same with Big Tom without a problem. The strongest will become the leader. I'm hoping Primoz breaks his GT duck in the Vuelta and shows he can handle 3 weeks comfortably. Then let's go from there :).
I hope for the same. Tom and Primoz are aggressive riders; it would be fantastic to see them continue that on the same team with the supporting cast they have. Power for power Tom seemed better rounded but that was a Tour ago and before injury. He could have more than a season to catch up from that.

I don't see a problem with the arrival of Tom. Someone has to ride the Giro for GC. And next year I think that someone is going to be Kruijswijk . Then we have Tom and Roglic for the Tour. Coleaders no problem. It can be done the Ineos way. Steven can even go to the Tour as a domestique is he is still in form. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It will be more difficult for Roglic (as well as Tom) to "beat" each other, being on the same team. You can't really attack your teammate, you can't make differences in the TTT, you can't count on full support if you have a technical, etc. So for individual aspirations, it's much more difficult to beat your own teammate than a rival from a different team, if they're both on a similar level. It's better for the team overall yes, but each rider in the end still wants individual glory.

The only thing you could clearly say is that Tom Dumoulin has a better GT palmares than Roglic. Better rider? Clearly:eek: I think we will have to wait for couple of years to say that.
Oh, and also that nonsense how TDF worth 20-30 Paris-Nices!:eek: I'm out of words.

Reactions: Carols and Nirvana
The only thing you could clearly say is that Tom Dumoulin has a better GT palmares than Roglic. Better rider? Clearly:eek: I think we will have to wait for couple of years to say that.
Oh, and also that nonsense how TDF worth 20-30 Paris-Nices!:eek: I'm out of words.
In the modern age?

I think there's a few 0s missing there.

Dumoulin vs Roglic is a weird comparison cause Dumoulin hasn't really all that seriously tried other stage races while Roglic hasn't really given big one day races a big shot. Guess Roglic would have an edge in other stage races but really when you're the one win the Giro and WC ITT on your palmares who cares.

From a promotional and rider contract standpoint, absolutely. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

You win a TdF, you can basically name your price. It's the one race that defines the sport for the general public, sponsors and even for most casual to semi-serious cycling fans.

You win Paris-Nice, and everyone says, "Yes, but it's just a spring warm up race."

From a promotional and rider contract standpoint, absolutely. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

You win a TdF, you can basically name your price. It's the one race that defines the sport for the general public, sponsors and even for most casual to semi-serious cycling fans.

You win Paris-Nice, and everyone says, "Yes, but it's just a spring warm up race."
We were not talking about any prices and contracts as far as I remember. We were talking about who the better rider is. And you said that TDF is worth more than 20 Paris-Nices. I said that is nonsense, and far from true.

Lot depends on route obviously. If there's no TTT and tiny ITT they're both ****ed.
I suspect there’ll be a good chunk of TT in the Tour next year. The lack of it in recent years has clearly, at least in part, been due to the lack of gc contenders who can TT half as well as Froome. As opposed to 2012, where the route was written before the Sky train became the Sky train, and had over 100 kms of ITT. ASO will know now that they’ll have several contenders who can turn in a decent TT, including Pinot and Alaphilippe (depending on course design, of course). So there’s no longer a reason to leave the TT out.

TRENDING THREADS