• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 760 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I expect nothing from the Worlds and to be honest, nothing is really expected of Rog either. It's not really his forte (the road race in particular is a big no-no at 270km's) and when I see Evenepoel, McNulty, Kung and Tarling on the startlist for the ITT, I think reality dictates an 'expect nothing and just watch the show' sort of approach.

And really, who even cares? He's won a GT & a one week race this year. Everything now is just bonus.

Top 3 in ITT is totally doable, only Remco will be hard to beat.

Ganna is supposedly sick, Tarling crashed out of Vuelta so who knows where he's at, plus he was only 6th in Vuelta ITT which was his target stage.. Kung only beat him in final Vuelta ITT after resting and Rog tripping after bad batch of mushrooms.

• Haha
Reactions: rokovski
I expect nothing from the Worlds and to be honest, nothing is really expected of Rog either. It's not really his forte (the road race in particular is a big no-no at 270km's) and when I see Evenepoel, McNulty, Kung and Tarling on the startlist for the ITT, I think reality dictates an 'expect nothing and just watch the show' sort of approach.

And really, who even cares? He's won a GT & a one week race this year. Everything now is just bonus.
Like Remco, the RR would be an amazing opportunity to let loose with lower expectations. His Spanish conquest after the recovery period had to cost him. R Rick says no and I would say maybe; if he doesn't have to kill himself in the first 200km.

Top 3 in ITT is totally doable, only Remco will be hard to beat.

Ganna is supposedly sick, Tarling crashed out of Vuelta so who knows where he's at, plus he was only 6th in Vuelta ITT which was his target stage.. Kung only beat him in final Vuelta ITT after resting and Rog tripping after bad batch of mushrooms.
TT is hard mostly because I think the parcours isn't that hard. It's really flat for 75% of it.

Reactions: Carols
The WC ITT route isn't tailor made for Rogla still there is a hump in the middle and Rogla is getting increasingly faster on flat ITT routes, current form is good. When it comes to medals hence the dilemma is to pace for bronze or to go all-in for gold on where an option to blow up is realistic too.

The WC RR route is suitable for Rogla and either Rogla or Pogi likely to win. Remco likely the biggest opponent but with much weaker cards this year, without Wout, compared to the Slovenian national dream team.

Reactions: acm
To be honest somehow i am already focusing on Muro di Sormano, on where Rogla will likely win his first Il Lombardia. In regards to the worlds hence medals of any color will do just fine this year. Said that and while we are doing it, gold is obviously a realistic option too. You never know in cycling on how things turn out and for somebody like Rogla just being there, gold is in reach. Do we want Rogla in rainbow jersey at the Tour 2025 though? Immediate crash and off to Vuelta 2025 to follow? Or for the rainbow jersey to act as a shield, against all sci-fi scenarios that went on at the Tour since 2020. We'll see.

i think he will do a good TT, maybe a top 5 is realistic. i dont expect anything from him at Worlds RR or Lombardia, he really struggles with races over 220k. but maybe i will be pleasantly surprised.

It's a myth mostly due to Rogla not targeting such races in the past all that much. I feel that Rogla is now interested in winning a few, lasts year Lombardia already close, on where he lost it on the ultimate descend, not prepared to risk it all.

I just watched again the Tokyo Olympic ITT. What an absolutely brilliant ride that was.

What do you expect the average speed of the winner (Evenepoel) to be in the worlds ITT, under or over 50kph?

Likely over and Rogla should attempt it as riding for a hour record. The hump basically guarantees him a medal still he should aim higher.

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
As for worlds RR here tactically i feel that plan A will likely be Pogi, that comes down to riding hard and launching him on penultimate climb. Now if by any chance somebody still survives that then likely Rogla to be in a good position. Unless i guess they will take an unorthodox approach and for Rogla to go for it on the ultimate climb. Pogi waiting. I find that less likely but if the field would be resisting then this to become an option.

Anyway, a medal is in reach, including gold.

i think he will do a good TT, maybe a top 5 is realistic. i dont expect anything from him at Worlds RR or Lombardia, he really struggles with races over 220k. but maybe i will be pleasantly surprised.
Well I´m always an optimistic rogla-fan (but sometimes i´m quite accurate to be honest), but more than anything because many of you are deliberately pessimistic to get later a pleasant "surprise." It is obvious that Primoz suffers in races of 6 hours or more, but from there to expect nothing at IL Lombardia... Last year he climbed Ganda with the top riders after being in a 2vs1 with Vlasov and Pogacar, then he recovered from his classic bad moment to do third.
With the team that RB Bora will bring (Vlasov, Lipo, Maybe Hindley and others...), he is clearly the second or third top favorite.
And for the time trial, a bronze medal is also viable, it depends on whether La Vuelta has given him a rush or the opposite, but I suspect that is the first case.

WRR is more tricky for me to predict, I´m a bit less confident there, but it is not imposible for him to be close to the medals ot top 5.

65437388_primoz-roglic-4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: acm