• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fact Check-UCI Regs for Tires

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I noted the report today regarding banning studs, presumeably a new ban to keep riders from using tires with studs in icy conditions. Studs have always been banned. The latest published regulations for general equipment is November 13 of last year. The particular regulation cited has not changed in any form since 2005 and the no stud regulation has not changed since I was first aware of it in 1993.

Randy Shafer

May 11, 2009
Visit site
randyshafer said:
I noted the report today regarding banning studs, presumeably a new ban to keep riders from using tires with studs in icy conditions. Studs have always been banned. The latest published regulations for general equipment is November 13 of last year. The particular regulation cited has not changed in any form since 2005 and the no stud regulation has not changed since I was first aware of it in 1993.

Randy Shafer

I just reread the UCI rules posted on the UCI website and could not find a prohibition on the use of studded tires. Can you point them out to me?
Thanks
In any case how or where is a stud defined?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
randyshafer said:

Randy Shafer

How is a stud defined by the UCI? I can't find a definition anywhere.

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
the (re)confirmation came when the UCI caught wind of the rumour that Dugast had made a new spiked tire, the Diabolo ... Sven had a good test on an iceskating track in Eindhoven on those tires ...

“1.3.018:Wheels of the bicycle may vary in diameter between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including the tyre. For the cyclo-cross bicycle the width of the tyre shall not exceed 35 mm and it may not incorporate any form of spike or stud.”