• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fantasy TDF (looking for opinions)

Hello Everyone....

Some friends and I get together every year and play a game of Fantasy TDF where we each draft riders and winner is the team with the lowest total time. There are a few other rules and a few small time bonuses for winning stages, but it's basically just wanting to get the riders who finish highest in GC.

This year we had to do our draft earlier than usual, so there's a chance some of us picked riders who might not even start in this year's TDF. We each drafted 12 riders and we start 9 of them. Here are my riders:

Roman Kreuzinger
Andy Schleck
Cadel Evans
Christian Vande Velde
Luis Leon Sanchez
Samuel Sanchez
Nicolas Roche
Rigoberto Uran
Joaquin Rodriguez
Christope Le Mevel
Damino Cunego
Jurgen Van DenBrock

I thought it would be fun to hear from people here on what 3 riders you would leave off this team and why? Riders who don't finish the TDF do hurt your overall chances in our rendition of Fantasy TDF.

Hope to hear from anyone who would like to give their opinion.

Thanks!

LBD

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I would drop Cunego, Roche, and Le Mevel. Cunego is a lost cause who will likely be going for stage wins this year, and Roche is still aways away from even being in the top 20 at the tour. Le Mevel isn't so bad, but French riders who finish top 10 in the tour one year have a history of not repeating the feat in the future. (Cyril Dessel, Christophe Moreau)

Thaks ingsve....Actually, I was thinking of replacing Roche with Chris Horner (since he wasn't drafted and we're allowed to make any changes before 7/3), but I wasn't sure I would actually start a RadioShack rider who is probably 4th on the team (even though he has been riding well this year).

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I would drop Roche, Uran and Cunego. All the rest are solid top 20 candidates.

Uran? Last year he was one of the last to be dropped from the lead group on the ventoux, and he's only getting better. (He's also a solid time trialist) He'll be co-leaders with LLS as well. I think he could be the surprise of the race and finish top 10.

A

Anonymous

LazyBigDog said:
Thaks ingsve....Actually, I was thinking of replacing Roche with Chris Horner (since he wasn't drafted and we're allowed to make any changes before 7/3), but I wasn't sure I would actually start a RadioShack rider who is probably 4th on the team (even though he has been riding well this year).

I would not pick Horner as quite probably, he will be a rider to push hard on the early part of the high mountains, and then drop off and take it easy in after his work is done. He has no aspirations for this Tour, and should be well outside of the top 20.

Edit: This is IF RS ride a typical Hog race. Then again, if they sit back and hope to isolate Contador and Schlecklet, he might hang around longer. Even in that case, he will doubtfully be given orders to ride hard in the TT. Also, at some point, if he is just hanging around hoping to isolate Contador, he will crack out of the front group. He is strong, but not that strong.

ericthesportsman6 said:
Uran? Last year he was one of the last to be dropped from the lead group on the ventoux, and he's only getting better. (He's also a solid time trialist) He'll be co-leaders with LLS as well. I think he could be the surprise of the race and finish top 10.

He already did the exceptionaly hard giro, the most difficult parts as superdomestique to maglia rosa david arroyo.
He then was second in the tds going into the final tt. I dont expect much from him here.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He already did the exceptionaly hard giro, the most difficult parts as superdomestique to maglia rosa david arroyo.
He then was second in the tds going into the final tt. I dont expect much from him here.

Right forgot about him at the giro. I guess your right then.

ingsve said:
Though even without the Giro he would be far down the list compared to most other riders on the list anyway.

That's why I put him on the list to start with.....a very good Giro indeed for him. You always wonder how much gas these guys will have left in their tank after the Giro (that's why I suspect many choose the Tour of California instead).

It's great to hear people's opinions on my list and the discussions of the riders.

Thanks!

LBD