• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FAO Darryl Webster - re Tony Doyle

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
BasqueFromThe Past said:
We used to joke about TD having World Championship bands sewn onto his club jersey sleeves. Massive ego: I mean he won the World Championships but the need to remind people years later on a club run?

TD - What a ****.. must of been from Staines or Feltham! I've just read the rest of the thread there wasn't too much good to be said about him..
So lesson to myself read thread before claiming kin!

BasqueFromThe Past said:
BTW (unrelated trivia) Bobby Davro took his stage name from the shop - it was his father's shop originally and the shop's name was a combination of his two son's names David and Robert (Bobby) :)
Funny wondered how the mane came about because his real name is Nankerville as Wiki says his father was very famous in his time
"Davro's father, Bill Nankeville, was a runner; a British national mile and 1500m champion, world record holder, and represented Great Britain in two Olympic Games."

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
BasqueFromThe Past said:
We used to joke about TD having World Championship bands sewn onto his club jersey sleeves. Massive ego: I mean he won the World Championships but the need to remind people years later on a club run?

BTW (unrelated trivia) Bobby Davro took his stage name from the shop - it was his father's shop originally and the shop's name was a combination of his two son's names David and Robert (Bobby) :)

What is wrong with being proud of most probably your greatest ever achievement? I bet if you ever became world champion you would get the bands sewn into a few of your jerseys!

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This guy is mentaly *** . He was on bbc news "assessing" the route.. It was like watching rainman.

Question- can britain defend the tour de France.
"
Ehhh Britain got 1 2 at the 2012 tour de france , Bradley wiggins came 1st Ehhh Chris froome came 2nd ehh... There are.... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... eh ... 4 mountain top finishes....eh.... Very hard...Britain finished 1 and 2 at the 2012 tor de France... Bradley wiggins and Chris froome. Chris froome came 2nd Britain won the yellow jersey with Bradley wiggins and,.. Ehhh. Next year wiggins will help froome...its a very hard route ... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... Mark cavendish can wear the yellow jersey..Britain will want to defend the tour de France... And they have the 1 2 from this year... Chris froome came 2nd ehhh behind Bradley wiggins who came first ehhh and there are 4 mountain top finishes... So those who finish will know it ehhh."

how dare you say the words "mentally ***" that is such a digusting thing to say and you try to talk on bbc news in front of thousands.

#get a life!

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Tom375 said:
TD - What a ****.. must of been from Staines or Feltham! I've just read the rest of the thread there wasn't too much good to be said about him..
So lesson to myself read thread before claiming kin!

Funny wondered how the mane came about because his real name is Nankerville as Wiki says his father was very famous in his time
"Davro's father, Bill Nankeville, was a runner; a British national mile and 1500m champion, world record holder, and represented Great Britain in two Olympic Games."

dont call him a **** he got tricked like millions of other people,so dont blame it on TD you dont even know him ,you old sod!

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
BasqueFromThe Past said:

why ??he should be proud of being the best in the world just cause you havnt acheived anything in your life doesnt mean you have to take it out one someone else!!

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Pmsl . Riding behind Tony the stink...and I do mean stink that came of him was mind boggling ...and it certainly wasn't caused by curries.
Everyone...and I mean everyone in uk cycling knew full well what Tony was up to .
Last I heard ,his very dodgy " helper" Angus had to do a runner from Scotland to evade supply charges .

An utterly disgusting individual , recently Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Board for the London Borough of Southwark.

Sais it all really . :rolleyes:

dont call him "disgusting" stop thinking your a big man "darryl" dont go *****ing about people and get your facts right!!!!!

Textbook example

cycloboy said:
why ??he should be proud of being the best in the world just cause you havnt acheived anything in your life doesnt mean you have to take it out one someone else!!

This attitude sounds a lot like Wiggins' attitude towards his critics. In fact, it seems like the attitude a lot of so-called sporting "champions" harbor towards the cynical public.

Why is this?

It probably starts when they are duped into quitting school/job and being a productive member of society to be a "professional" cyclist. It intensifies when they (many) are duped into cheating or turning a blind eye in order to keep chasing some sort of relevance in life. Finally, it comes full circle when they find out people have been laughing at them behind their backs and/or on the internet for years.

In other words, it is because they spent the prime years of their lives chasing an inherently flawed dream that somehow riding a bicycle the fastest in a circle harbors some greater significance in the grand scheme of things. If they have half a brain, they gradually come to the conclusion that, in fact, they've leeched off society for the past decade or two, and thus harbor a great deal of cognitive dissonance.

This is the trade-off one makes when he or she chooses to become a cyclist or any type of professional sportsperson. Sports in modern (~1900 on) era is entirely driven by advertising. Thus, the trade-off one makes for the "privilege" of riding their bike for a meager living is that in reality they are just one step above a circus animal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not complaining, though - I have been thoroughly entertained! - I just know who the real "champions" and movers in life and society are and who are not.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This guy is mentaly *** . He was on bbc news "assessing" the route.. It was like watching rainman.

Question- can britain defend the tour de France.
"
Ehhh Britain got 1 2 at the 2012 tour de france , Bradley wiggins came 1st Ehhh Chris froome came 2nd ehh... There are.... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... eh ... 4 mountain top finishes....eh.... Very hard...Britain finished 1 and 2 at the 2012 tor de France... Bradley wiggins and Chris froome. Chris froome came 2nd Britain won the yellow jersey with Bradley wiggins and,.. Ehhh. Next year wiggins will help froome...its a very hard route ... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... Mark cavendish can wear the yellow jersey..Britain will want to defend the tour de France... And they have the 1 2 from this year... Chris froome came 2nd ehhh behind Bradley wiggins who came first ehhh and there are 4 mountain top finishes... So those who finish will know it ehhh."

Graeme Obree has the mental illness Bipolar disorder. It's not his fault - it's fortunate he is still here. If you want to use the unfortunate term "genius" apply it to your erstwhile cycling hero's discussed here. And many others in the sport besides.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
SportiveMad said:
What is wrong with being proud of most probably your greatest ever achievement? I bet if you ever became world champion you would get the bands sewn into a few of your jerseys!

If I won a world title, i'd have the b*ggers sown into my pyjamas, for goodness sake!

He is now doing commentary for Eurosport ( on domestic level women's racing yes) but still. The guy should be poison after the way he disgraced himself on Armstrong here.

How are we supposed to believe that the sport moved on when a guy who AFTER USADA came on National British Radio to give the most aggressive case for Armstrong being clean, be allowed to commentate on the sport?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
cycloboy said:
how dare you say the words "mentally ***" that is such a digusting thing to say and you try to talk on bbc news in front of thousands.

#get a life!

Free tip quickie.

When tagging using a hashtag, you don't leave spaces.

So it's #getalife #please #hitch and #stopcallingitasitis :p

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Pmsl . Riding behind Tony the stink...and I do mean stink that came of him was mind boggling ...and it certainly wasn't caused by curries.
Everyone...and I mean everyone in uk cycling knew full well what Tony was up to .
Last I heard ,his very dodgy " helper" Angus had to do a runner from Scotland to evade supply charges .

An utterly disgusting individual , recently Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Board for the London Borough of Southwark.

Sais it all really . :rolleyes:

Sounds like jealousy to me! Just because he was able to do an indivdual pursuit quicker then your team pursuit
Sais it all really

ianfra

BANNED
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps Daryl you mean 'says it all' as 'sais' is not a word in this context. I believe that it means 'to look after a horse'. Perhaps that's what Doyle did. And that may account for the manure smell that you experienced!
It's a shame that some of our great riders lacked any sort of decorum, is it not?

ianfra said:
Perhaps Daryl you mean 'says it all' as 'sais' is not a word in this context. I believe that it means 'to look after a horse'. Perhaps that's what Doyle did. And that may account for the manure smell that you experienced!
It's a shame that some of our great riders lacked any sort of decorum, is it not?

I believe Daryl is dyslexic and so has an idiosyncratic way with the written word...
perhaps not taking PEDS and hence outperforming more 'honest' cyclist might be considered to be a far bigger crime against decorum than taking the pi** out of Tony 'lance didn't dope' Doyle....

TRENDING THREADS