• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Flanders/PR/Spring Classics Going/Tips/Advice/Meet

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Jacques Tati said:
If you book the Eurostar London - Lille far enough in advance you'll probably get a day trip for £55 per person return. From Lille you could go to Roubaix Velodrome there is fast tram link to Roubaix and then a short walk to the velodrome. They have live TV playing from when the riders hit the first cobbles and after the race has finished you can get to see loads of the riders team coaches etc as all usually end up at the velodrome and its surrounding roads. You see the race, the finish and dont have to get involved in the annual rat race across northern france to catch glimpses of the race.
First train from St Pancras on sunday is around 08.50 you arrive in Lille wth plenty of time to get to the velodrome, I usually come back around 20.00 in the evening....always a good day out...Ian

is it that easy to get into the velodrome i assumed it would be almost impossible to get into..

a lot depends on how i am healthwise.. if im good then we really want to get to one of the sectors somehow pitch the tent and enjoy the cobbles, if im not so good then the roubaix idea would work for us, we can hotel it, but no cobbles.. hmm.. not so sure... also depends on money, but my redundancy should be through by then...

erm.. side note.. guys can we resize images or something before posting, that big image is really screwing up my screen...

Have any of you done the Tour of Flanders ?

I am going to be riding the Tour of Flanders cyclosportive 140km ride and I was wondering if any of you have advice on the event seeing as I have never done it before.

A place to stay.
What the best way to find a place to stay near the track I feel sure they are getting booked up really quickly.

Equipment
Are there any tips on bike equipment for this ride? gear tyres etc

Best place to watch
So I will be obviously staying in the area (if I find a place to stay) where is the best place to watch the pros in this race ?

CHIPS AND BEER
its not all about cycling is it ! Where are the best bars on the course do you know of any with a tv so we can watch the race eat chips and drink beer then go and run out and watch them pass by .

join theTOUR OF FLANDERS CYCLOSPORTIVE RONDEZVOUS

CLICK HERE

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I've done the Flanders weekend a few times - ride 260km on the Saturday and enjoy the pro race on Sunday. Stay in Bruges and take the train back from Ninove at the finish. Best place to watch the race is probably Geraardsbergen - watch the race on the Muur and then watch the finish on the big screen along with 20,000 Belgians. You'll struggle to find any hotel accommodation in Ninove - it's all booked up by now. For P-Rx, you don't need to take the train to Paris - the Eurostar to Brussels stops in Lille, which is adjacent to Roubaix. You can get into the velodrome for free - just get there early enough.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Yes. I've been racing my bike for 20+ years. My body type is more suited to the RvV than something with lots of climbing.

My program for Flanders started mid-September so I am just now entering the Strength/Endurance phase. In fact, I'm really sore today as I had a 5 hour (mostly tempo) ride on Saturday followed up with three hours on Sunday including (4) 10 minute intervals at 5bpm below threshold with 5 minute recovery in between. Ouch. Around Christmas will be the end of the first block. Of course then in January I will be heavy in to volume with intensity. I have apologized in advance to my wife as I will be worthless in January and February.

Have you done th shorter 140 course before? I have heard that the full course ride sucks. The first 150 is flat and on bike paths. The shorter version has the best part of the course without 4-5 hours of cold junk riding before it

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Have you done th shorter 140 course before? I have heard that the full course ride sucks. The first 150 is flat and on bike paths. The shorter version has the best part of the course without 4-5 hours of cold junk riding before it

What about the 75km course? This will likely be my first outside ride of the year, so I am not sure if I'll be up to 140km.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Get to Bruges early if you're planning to ride the full ride - if it's good weather, all the Flandrian clubs turn-out complete with following cars and you can cruise through Flanders in a peloton of 300 down the main roads - Once you get past Kluisbergen, you're on the small roads. It's only if you're in small groups from Bruges onward do you need to ride on the cycle paths. OK, the first 150km is pretty uneventful, but when you hit the Wolvenberg with 5 hours riding in your legs, you really start to appreciate how tough the event is. Oude Kwaremont is my favourite - not the steepest, but you need power and stamina to crest it at full bore.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

I have not. I've heard the long ride is a bit boring but I'm going to do it anyway. I curious to see how I will respond (or not) after about 200kms and a bunch of hard climbs left to do. We will see.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I have not. I've heard the long ride is a bit boring but I'm going to do it anyway. I curious to see how I will respond (or not) after about 200kms and a bunch of hard climbs left to do. We will see.

You do realize that once you do the RVV you will have to do the Marmotte and the Maratona and soon you will move to Italy to race GF's every weekend. It becomes an addiction.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
You do realize that once you do the RVV you will have to do the Marmotte and the Maratona and soon you will move to Italy to race GF's every weekend. It becomes an addiction.

Yes. 2010 will be the third year in a row of going to Belgium for the April classics, and my wife and I have pretty much decided we will skimp on other stuff all year long to make this an annual trip. She wants to go see the Giro too...

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Trip to the Tour of Flanders

I'm looking to go and watch the Tour of Flanders next year. We'll be stopping Ghent, and looking to watch the race from Geraardsbergen for the Muur Climb. Did anyone know if trains run from Ghent to Geraardsbergen, or if there are busses or other means of transport?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Anybody have any ideas/suggestions for gear ratios for the RvV sportive? The 140 km event is flattish for the first 30k then rollercoasters for 110k. Some sections of climb are 22% but they're pretty short, power climbs rather than draggy. My current gearing is 53/39 11-26. Any ideas?

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Getting up the Koppenberg and the Patterberg is often a lottery, down to weather conditions - rain and mud and whether you get a clear run - with a big turn-out for the 140km ride you might find it difficult to avoid others walking. It's not so much gearing, more about traction - lots of walkers = lots on slippy mud on the road. On some of the climbs there is a concrete gutter on the sides too. A strong rider can ride the whole course on a 53 chainring..

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I've been to Geraadsbergen a few times in the summer, but this year i'll be visiting for the Ronde. I'm staying in France mind you.

So my question is, where is the big screen in Geraadsbergen and best place for the fries. I'm going to try and "intergrate" myself in the Belgian lifestyle for the day.

Hi spring classics fans,

I am a belgian groupleader who recently set up a "flanders week" trip. I worked during the Tour de France & Giro as groupleader for "custom getaways". Now I organise this "flanders week" (flanders classics / spings classics) in cooperation with custom getaways.
I raced for 20 years in belgian and became in the year 2000 stagiair by "team farm frites". Now I try to pass on this experience to my clients.

Let me know if you need any extra info about the spring classics...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
OK, so plane and trains are booked, now I just need some help with the final details.

I am arriving in Ghent on race day for the Tour of Flanders on the 8.36am train. What is the best way to get to the Kepelmuur from Ghent?

I am arriving in Lille on race day for Paris-Roubaix on the earliest train, which unfortunately is 11.56am. What is the best way to get to Cafe de l'Abre from Lille?

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
OK, so plane and trains are booked, now I just need some help with the final details.

I am arriving in Ghent on race day for the Tour of Flanders on the 8.36am train. What is the best way to get to the Kepelmuur from Ghent?

I am arriving in Lille on race day for Paris-Roubaix on the earliest train, which unfortunately is 11.56am. What is the best way to get to Cafe de l'Abre from Lille?

Thanks.

Bump. Any help in helping me work out the final details would be very much appreciated!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
From Gent to the kapelmuur (probably that's the one you mean) is best by train (Geraardsbergen). and on foot from the station. If you leave around noon in Gent, you should be there on time. There's also a direct train Brussels-Geraardsbergen.

The other one I can't help you.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:

Thanks.

best we could find was metro to the end of the track (villeneuve i think) and then a bus to cherang which is about 4k walk to the cobbles..

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Thorum and Dim. I'll check out the local transport options. I cannot find tickets to Geraardsbergen from either Brussels or Ghent through Rail Europe, so this must be a local train? Does anyone know if you can book tickets online for the Geraardsbergen train or the Cherang bus?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Thanks Thorum and Dim. I'll check out the local transport options. I cannot find tickets to Geraardsbergen from either Brussels or Ghent through Rail Europe, so this must be a local train? Does anyone know if you can book tickets online for the Geraardsbergen train or the Cherang bus?

Ofcourse you can!

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

In Brussels there are 3 major train stations: Brussel-Noord (north), Brussel-Centraal (central) and Brussel-Zuid (south; in French it's Bruxelles-Midi). On Sundays there is no direct train from Brussels to Geraardsbergen. You'll have to take the train to Denderleeuw (30') and switch there for part 2 of the trip (another 30' to G'Bergen).

If you're traveling from Ghent, there is a direct train from Gent-Sint-Pieters station. The trips takes around 45'-50'.

I noticed the English version of the Belgian railway site mostly uses the French names of the Flemish cities & stations. So don't freak out if you suddenly see Grammont instead of Geraardsbergen or Gand-Saint-Pierre instead of Gent-Sint-Pieters.

To buy a ticket online:
https://buy.b-rail.be/eTicketing/ETicketOrdering/InitStrutsActionToWelcome.do?lang=3

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Ofcourse you can!

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

In Brussels there are 3 major train stations: Brussel-Noord (north), Brussel-Centraal (central) and Brussel-Zuid (south; in French it's Bruxelles-Midi). On Sundays there is no direct train from Brussels to Geraardsbergen. You'll have to take the train to Denderleeuw (30') and switch there for part 2 of the trip (another 30' to G'Bergen).

If you're traveling from Ghent, there is a direct train from Gent-Sint-Pieters station. The trips takes around 45'-50'.

I noticed the English version of the Belgian railway site mostly uses the French names of the Flemish cities & stations. So don't freak out if you suddenly see Grammont instead of Geraardsbergen or Gand-Saint-Pierre instead of Gent-Sint-Pieters.

To buy a ticket online:
https://buy.b-rail.be/eTicketing/ETicketOrdering/InitStrutsActionToWelcome.do?lang=3

Awesome. Thanks so much.

TRENDING THREADS