• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

for a second

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
30 meters till finish on today's suisse stage, i saw cavendish down, and then, as i moved my eyes to the finish line, for a second, i tought i saw rogers finishing top 5 in tour de france.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
McLovin said:
30 meters till finish on today's suisse stage, i saw cavendish down, and then, as i moved my eyes to the finish line, for a second, i tought i saw rogers finishing top 5 in tour de france.

I know what you're saying but if he's out of contention, they'll bring in Greipel as they want stage wins.

The only way Dodger comes top 5 in the Tour de France is if the following team is assembled.

1. Michael Rogers
2. Tony Martin
3. Michael Albasini
4. Kanstantsin Sivtsov
5. Maxime Monfort
6. Marco Pinotti
7. Bert Grabsch
8. Adam Hansen
9. Bernhard Eisel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think you need much of a team to finish 5-10, not without a TTT.

Rogers situation is different.

All his team-mates are working for a sprinter so when the mountainous stages come, they are out of it. He doesn't have any support. Not one person. Until he does, he's not coming top 5 in a Grand Tour.

Sasquatch said:
I know what you're saying but if he's out of contention, they'll bring in Greipel as they want stage wins.

The only way Dodger comes top 5 in the Tour de France is if the following team is assembled.

1. Michael Rogers
2. Tony Martin
3. Michael Albasini
4. Kanstantsin Sivtsov
5. Maxime Monfort
6. Marco Pinotti
7. Bert Grabsch
8. Adam Hansen
9. Bernhard Eisel

Is that the best GC tour team Columbia could possibly muster? I would have thought they would be better than that but I guess they can't.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
He doesn't have any support. Not one person. Until he does, he's not coming top 5 in a Grand Tour.

Bang on. There is only one Australian currently that can top 5 without a team and he's done it a few times now.

Rogers would need massive team support for a Top 5 at TdF, in saying that though he's in great form again and it's a positive sign that he's been allowed to go off and do 'altitude' training alone.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Is that the best GC tour team Columbia could possibly muster? I would have thought they would be better than that but I guess they can't.

maybe a few years later, with TVG the HTC GC team will be better?:D

hrotha said:
I don't think you need much of a team to finish 5-10, not without a TTT.

I agree. I think the importance of a good team is overestimated. A good team is very important for control on the race which is important for the riders planning to finish nr.1.
If you want to finish top 5-10 you need to follow the topcontenders. What does your team have to do for you? Ok someone needs to bring you bidons and food, but else just sit in a top contenders wheel and let his team do the work. If you can't follow the top riders uphill a teammate could help you prevent losing lots of time, but you've lost a topspot anyways when you can't ride with the best uphill.

TRENDING THREADS