• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Silly question, but are forks in any way cut to size during the installation process? Is there any reason, other than steerer tube diameter (or wheel size, obviously), why I wouldn't be able to transfer a fork currently fitted to one road bike to a different road bike?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes - steerer tube is cut depending on the height of the head tube. Many newer forks also use a tapered steerer, so will only work in a frame with tapered head tube (but you may be able to get a conversion headset to mate a tapered head tube with a non-tapered steerer fork).

Assuming the tapered head tube/steerer issue is moot, if it's for the same rider, planning on achieving the same final bar height, adding or removing spacers below your stem as required should sort you out whether or not the head tube height is identical between the bikes. Some forks are also designed for a bike with 'integrated' headset bearings and may look odd on a bike with a skinny head tube, but will still work.

HTH

Apr 24, 2010
www.cwcycles.co.za
Check this online shop in South Africa

Hi everybody.

I just want to inform you that we have a brilliant online shop in Cape Town - South Africa - called Chris Willemse Cycles Online. Please visit us on http://www.cwcycles.co.za for great deals. just remember if you purchace from outside South Africa then you can deduct 14% due to our tax.

Pease send us a mail with your requests on it. I gurantee that you will not get a better price anywhere in the world.I am waiting on you mails and questions.

Regards

rgmerk said:
Silly question, but are forks in any way cut to size during the installation process? Is there any reason, other than steerer tube diameter (or wheel size, obviously), why I wouldn't be able to transfer a fork currently fitted to one road bike to a different road bike?

Forks are also made with different rakes and when combined with a certain frame headtube angle, can have an effect on handling. If the frames are similar, probably not a big deal.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

The motivation was whether it's practical to take the fork off my bike and put it on a friend's.

Sounds all a bit hard in the end.