• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fox Sports - "Public deserves truth in doping charges"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Yeah. Here's a good sample;

This is so rediculous. This is another story of someone trying to shine the light on themselves. Jusy how popular or well known do you want to be. Mark Kriegel is the perfect example of riding the coat tails of a hero for his own 15 min of fame. Lance has changed many lives including my own. I will be a fan forever. I don't even care if for some outrageous resason he did cheat. Lance will forever "be the man" in many more ways than one. Stay strong Lance and sue the hell out of Mark Kriegel. Take everything he owns and donate it to charity. Then introduce a law that prevents people like this from wasting presious time and resources for sefl serving reasons. Live Strong Buddy

Word on the street is this comment was made by BPC.

One thing I wonder about the diehard fanboys, and it actually makes me think they might not all be PS shills: the "sue him" comments . . .

Lance is known to be lawsuit-happy, and this story is so obviously libelous (to the fanboys) that you would think he'd go right after the author in court since he'd of course laugh all the way to the bank. But why doesn't he?

The PS spew crew, if they're being fed talking points, would probably not be bringing the "sue him" comments if PS knows that His Highness will not be undertaking any new lawsuits at this time.

Gotta love it when reality trumps the best laid lies!

A

Anonymous

powerste said:
One thing I wonder about the diehard fanboys, and it actually makes me think they might not all be PS shills: the "sue him" comments . . .

Lance is known to be lawsuit-happy, and this story is so obviously libelous (to the fanboys) that you would think he'd go right after the author in court since he'd of course laugh all the way to the bank. But why doesn't he?

The PS spew crew, if they're being fed talking points, would probably not be bringing the "sue him" comments if PS knows that His Highness will not be undertaking any new lawsuits at this time.

Gotta love it when reality trumps the best laid lies!

Cross Examination.

I think some are speaking/writing in ways almost daring LA to sue. He won't because the truth is not on his side.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
With ESPN, CNN flagging the story no one wants to be left behind. You can say WSJ broke the story but don't give Rupert any more credit other than wanting escalating value and profits.

What's wrong with profit? Do you think ESPN and CNN are non-profit charities?

As you say, the WSJ broke the story, and they ran some follow-up articles (including the first two saturdays of the TdF), so they do deserve some credit.

Sounds like you just don't like RM.

oldschoolnik said:
If Fox didn't buy Lance's Lawyer's "Un-American to go after him" bit nobody will - they are the poster children for backing this kind of thing...

Talk about the tide turning.
Good point but then again Rupert Murdoch owns the WSJ which broke the story and Fox News which is following up*the story. A bit of self promotion maybe... from the Australian media mogul

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not concerned with the motives of the various publications - I'm grateful to every one that's willing to bring us the news and go out and talk to sources, corroborate stories, etc. Ditto to every smaller paper who is willing to bring those stories to breakfast tables around America.

I can see a time when conversations normally reserved for The Clinic will take place on train platforms and around water coolers. And it should be a fun time for those of you who can quote this stuff chapter and verse, because the more that comes out, the more curious people will become.

So many of the pro-Lance blogs still treat this like a simple doping story, or of Armstrong versus Landis.
i think that the scope is really going to be kind of amazing once it all comes out. And pieces keep coming. Holczer in one press interview corroborated Landis' claim that Levi doped at the 2005 TdF, and verified that the UCI gives notice in at least some cases to avoid positives and bans. The new WSJ story about the five dopers not sanctioned confirmed that shadiness is going on, and thank God, authorities are stepping in. WADA was already trying to get international doping agencies to cooperate with each other and the US investigation. Now they're all over the UCI.

Back on topic, I did a quick Google of Armstrong this morning, and was surprised first by the lack of new results, almost like they're being filtered, but mostly because the newspaper from my county in Illinois was listed. They had reprinted the opinion piece out of Oxnard or wherever saying that if Lance did cheat, they hope he doesn't get caught. I probably walked past a dozen of those papers on my morning walk, and it bugs me that people in my neighborhood might have that as their only source of info on the topic. So much of the media has been afraid to call BS over the years, or to look beneath the surface. I applaud every paid journalist willing to make statements like the Fox Sports one now, before it becomes the cool thing to do.

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
And people are complaining about my avatar? That was mean, doc.

I beg you, in the name of all that is holy AND evil, please bring back Megan Fox. The forces of goodness and darkness resoundingly agree on this topic. Hermaphrodites want you to change back to Megan.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I beg you, in the name of all that is holy AND evil, please bring back Megan Fox. The forces of goodness and darkness resoundingly agree on this topic. Hermaphrodites want you to change back to Megan.

Nope. Somebody has to pay for what I have been thru the last couple of months.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
cyclestationgiuseppe said:
Hmmmm gee....I am in the US and I care...as well as the other 250 or so cyclists (actual humans that ride bikes) that I have contact with on a weekly basis....many of them use to be major fanboys (like me) bought his books and his BS, but, I have to say the the tide seems to be turning. Most now are AWARE that he is a doper and a liar and not generally a nice person...
some day Flicker...you will come around as well!

Not a nice person? is this an acknowledgement of Lance not putting on some phoney nice guy facade?

As far as doping reform goes, the sport is back to square one. I don't believe for a second that Contador, Schleck, and those French noodles performed as they did without enhancements and French authorities looking the other way.

guilder said:
As far as doping reform goes, the sport is back to square one. I don't believe for a second that Contador, Schleck, and those French noodles performed as they did without enhancements and French authorities looking the other way.

Nonsense.
Haven't you heard?
Pat McQuaid has declared that due to his flawless passport scheme, everybody now rides clean.
All things considered, Lance did really well to only finish 40 minutes down.
That is only half the time he lost, the last time he rode a clean Tour.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

I've always been very appreciative of the the delightful Megan avatar and have been open hearted with Chris...even asking for warnings of pending mood swings. You guys must be responsible for serious mental trauma because he has to look at it too! He deserves all of our prayers and well wishes in his search for peace and the appropriate avatar designation. Amen.

flicker said:
To be honest in the US we do not care about dope cheaters. We care about their results and their personalities. As a US citizen and a little sheltered in the ways of the world I figure it is the same world wide. In cycling Basso, Pantani, Ulrich, Rolf Aldag, Zabel, Kaz. Vino,Kasheken, Belguim Merckx, FDV, Muesaew, China Li etc. Some nerds on this site have a hard-on for enhancers well.... oh I forgot Lance, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Zabrinskie I do not care myself and most Americans do not. Especially people who have actually ridden their bikes. Doping is a way of life.

Your premise is childishly self-serving and so ethically full of holes you might as well have posted a picture of a block of Swiss cheese.

Now it seems as if people are taking the track that "Well, they all doped, didn't they?" as if this excuses all the lying Armstrong did.

The big question, if you can fathom it, is how Armstrong is going to explain to the sponsors who backed his "Miracle on Two Wheels" story that he robbed them blind.

You really think these corporations, who have much more money than Armstrong does, are going to just roll over and shrug their shoulders once the truth comes out?

All those race sponsors who paid exorbitant appearance fees for the "Hope Rides Again" tour he embarked upon last year?

Keep dreaming. You'll be the only one.