• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frame stiffness

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Humm....

First off there is yet to be a solid measurement for stiffness. So words alone don't do it justice in comparing one frame to another, its a one persons personal feel and preferences over another's. There needs to be an outright measurement(s) to get to a solid comparison of stiffness of a frame. It may not determine which is the best frame but will give us a measurement to use to allow the user to pick what they deem best for them under their riding preferences and use. Much like geometry where some custom bikes allow well custom geometry's for a custom fit, we could have a custom stiffness setting for a custom stiffness fit/feel, even if its just material(s) feel for the rider.

I know if there is such a measurement the industry will use it incorrectly in a way to brag how stiff their frame is, even though I doubt its what most riders would want, but there will be buyers for it as wrong as it may be.

the funny thing for me, is i have been riding my Tommasini SLX bike a lot lately.
it is such a sweet ride. it carves a turn turn like it's on rails. rockets downhill.
i passed 2 guys the other day on a nice climb. one was on a Dogma and the other was on a Tarmac, so the weight was a non issue.(still like those bikes)
and it sprints very well. anyway,it's the rider,not the bike. just sayin'

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sample space of 3...who prefer the feel not go faster on. For mine doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Someone throw me a few hundred thousand and I'll have some answers for you. In my opinion flexible is more comfortable, but how much is that worth in the sprint at the end of the day, stiffness is about more than hysteresis, comparing the 2 at the end of the day is tricky.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Something we can all take heart in as we age.

No shi# by the time I could afford the stiffest bestest bike in the world I was too old and it pounds me to death at the moment. I mean it is fast but I find myself wanting to put a groupo in a surly pacer or something and just roll

good post for a change BroMeal ;)

A

Anonymous

As you get older, stiffness does become more of a problem.