Frankenstorm threatens to destroy America

Meh. A little breezy and damp. I'm going riding!

People die every day. People die in every natural disaster. Every storm. Even small ones. So that's not saying much more than sensationalist attention grabbing, not too different from the chicken little media.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
2
0
Stay safe everyone in the path or should I say along the North East coast.

I think you guys are a bunch of pansies if you think this is a worst case scenario but hey every storm leaves it's personal mark.

Hurricane Katrina was a real storm the rest are a bunch of half steppers.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,269
1
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
Stay safe everyone in the path or should I say along the North East coast.

I think you guys are a bunch of pansies if you think this is a worst case scenario but hey every storm leaves it's personal mark.

Hurricane Katrina was a real storm the rest are a bunch of half steppers.
Wasn't there for K, but Sandy atm is just a bunch of wet rain.

New York is in a tough spot:



Cape May, New Jersey



 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
In keeping with BD's apocalyptic title, it appears that He has decided to smite some sinners, as the center of this b!tch (insofar as there is one,) is now expected to hit land at Atlantic City.

My lady friend north of Baltimore is lucky in that she lives on a hill in the woods, so the worst that can happen to her is loss of power. As of right now it's very, very wet, but the power is still on.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Meh. A little breezy and damp. I'm going riding!

People die every day. People die in every natural disaster. Every storm. Even small ones. So that's not saying much more than sensationalist attention grabbing, not too different from the chicken little media.
Ahh but where safety and media profits are concerned nothing is too sensationalist; to say nothing of safety and politics, for which it becomes a classic scenario of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't.'

Evidently this is the only thing the State is good for: providing early warning for imminent disaster.

I grew up in the area, which makes my present location rather ironic.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,269
1
0
BroDeal said:
The Mayans were right.

Luckily it is being covered 24/7 on the Weather Channel and I've got popcorn.
Start a drinking game.

Every time a unemployed journalism school student pretending to be a reporter, all dressed up, wearing wellies and showing off the latest north face jacket, seemingly ready to trek up to an Everest base camp, is trotted out on the news, just to inform us that it is windy and rainy outside, you take a shot.

I'll give you 5 minutes and you'll be wasted.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
It's definitely kicked up since this morning here in DC but still not too bad. Heavy rain and I'm sure there's going to be some serious flooding in the city, but the wind isn't as bad as I thought it might be. That derecho that came rolling through a few months ago was (so far) way more intense.
 
May 9, 2009
283
1
0
Amsterhammer said:
My lady friend north of Baltimore is lucky in that she lives on a hill in the woods, so the worst that can happen to her is loss of power.
Eh, not quite. I'm about 60 miles away from Baltimore. During the derecho (the storm that hit at the end of June), two people within a mile of me died when trees fell on them. One of them was a 90 year old lady who lived just around the corner from me. The morning after the storm I ran by her house -- or what was left of it. I gotta admit that I think about that when I see all the trees violently blowing around my house during this storm.

Having said that, I agree with everyone else. Stuff happens during storms. If a tree falls on you, then I guess it was your time to go. The greatest impact will probably be to the NY subway system. With the full moon, the surge will be very high and could flood it. The second biggest impact will be all the government officials fighting for face time in front of the cameras. The third biggest impact will be all the debris I have to pick up in my yard this weekend.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,158
0
0
Best of luck to all those on the East Coast who have to live through this ordeal. May you and your loved ones be spared the wrath of this Hurricane.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
Stay safe everyone in the path or should I say along the North East coast.

I think you guys are a bunch of pansies if you think this is a worst case scenario but hey every storm leaves it's personal mark.

Hurricane Katrina was a real storm the rest are a bunch of half steppers.
The storm in Queensland last year was bigger than Katrina I think.

Surely some stupid Green will come out and say before the storm that 'Global warming is causing these storms' and if the storm is not as bad as expected, they will say, 'it is only natural variation'....Green logic.:rolleyes: :D
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
The storm in Queensland last year was bigger than Katrina I think.

Surely some stupid Green will come out and say before the storm that 'Global warming is causing these storms' and if the storm is not as bad as expected, they will say, 'it is only natural variation'....Green logic.:rolleyes: :D
Causing the storm, no. Contributing to them being bigger, occuring more frequently, and being more prolonged, yes.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
VeloCity said:
Causing the storm, no. Contributing to them being bigger, occuring more frequently, and being more prolonged, yes.
Simply not true. Don't be sucked into the lies from Green groups.

EDIT: Perhaps, posting this here was a little inappropriate. I will take my graphs down...
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Who would've thought we would see sharks coming inland
Stay safe to everyone on the east coast.



auscyclefan94 said:
Surely some stupid Green will come out and say before the storm that 'Global warming is causing these storms' and if the storm is not as bad as expected, they will say, 'it is only natural variation'....Green logic.:rolleyes: :D
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,086
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Simply not true. Don't be sucked into the lies from Green groups.

EDIT: Perhaps, posting this here was a little inappropriate. I will take my graphs down...
Well, the entire scientific community disagrees with you. But you probably know best.....
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Simply not true. Don't be sucked into the lies from Green groups.
Oh jesus christ. Simply true. Don't be sucked into the lies of the deniers. And it's not "green groups", it's pretty much every ****ing scientist on the face of the planet.
 
Sep 29, 2012
422
0
0
Well, ifit wasn't for Erin Burnett I would never have known that New York was the biggest city in the world.

Who knew?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
VeloCity said:
Oh jesus christ. Simply true. Don't be sucked into the lies of the deniers. And it's not "green groups", it's pretty much every ****ing scientist on the face of the planet.
Deniers of what? If you want to discuss this in detail, go ahead and create a thread but I regretfully brought this up in this thread.

Out of interest, what has happened to the Occupy Wall Street protesters with these floods?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY