• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Friday, june 15th - Tour de Suisse, stage 7: gossau- Gossau 34km ITT

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Last 33km of tomorrows stage

98547.png

The last uphill bit is 3.2km at 9.8% with maximum of 20% according to track4bikers

well that certainly looks tougher then the profile theyoungest posted but if they don't drop costa and piti on the steep section then it wouldn't surprise me if they got 1-2 on the stage.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Maybe Rabo can attack on the first steep bit, then do a TTT in the flat middle section with Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk, Slagter and Ten Dam? :)

if mollema, kruijswijk, slagter and ten dam are still in the group then costa will still be there easily. he just seems to be in super shape atm

Dekker_Tifosi said:
To come back to this. In the interview with Rabosport he said he was 'emtpy' in the final part and got a 'total blow'. Yet he won most time there. :eek:
Discrepencies in perception does not necessarily implies contradiction. He could be "feeling blown" and be fast

Bavarianrider said:
Rather modest time gaps. Seems like the route was easier then it looked at first glance.
Klöden and Gesink seem to be on track for Le Tour

Considering the avg speed it was a very hard ITT.

The small time gaps are because nobody was 'hors categorie' today. If Wiggins was here he would be 1/1.30 faster than Kessiakoff...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Considering the avg speed it was a very hard ITT.

The small time gaps are because nobody was 'hors categorie' today. If Wiggins was here he would be 1/1.30 faster than Kessiakoff...

True, didn't look at the average speed at first. Pretty low, so yes it must have been pretty hilly.
Considering this, guys like Valverde should have done better.

Bavarianrider said:
True, didn't look at the average speed at first. Pretty low, so yes it must have been pretty hilly.
Considering this, guys like Valverde should have done better.

Well F.Schleck was 10th at the first split, which was at the top of the Pfannenstiel (the hill that used to be in Züri Metzgete).

But on the flat/technical bit they all lost a lot of time. One of the few climbers who kept the same pace as Kessiakoff/Cancellara was.... Gesink. He won a lot of time on other GC riders in the technical/flat part

Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.rabosport.nl/wielrennen/...=socialmedia&utm_campaign=rabowielrennen_feed

Gesink himself said he had a bad feeling in the time trial. Especially at the end (where he won most time lol...). He also says he has no idea how he will fare in the mountains this weekend. "It's a suprise even for me".

Well, obviously the other guys were feeling even worse.

But a nice result for him. Puts him in a good spot to try and go for first. And it opens up some perspectives for the TDF.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well F.Schleck was 10th at the first split, which was at the top of the Pfannenstiel (the hill that used to be in Züri Metzgete).

But on the flat/technical bit they all lost a lot of time. One of the few climbers who kept the same pace as Kessiakoff/Cancellara was.... Gesink. He won a lot of time on other GC riders in the technical/flat part
The wind picked up towards the afternoon. I think that's why Gesink's time uphill initially seemed disappointing, and then it turned out no one except Rui Costa could beat it anymore. It's good news for him that on the last flatter part, where power and aerodynamics matter the most, he was just 3 seconds slower than Cancellara, while riding into a headwind.

This time trial clearly shows that RS would be worth their weight in the Tour. Hopefully the politics can stay out of it. And Gesink is definitely a strong contender; possibly the biggest threat to Wiggins and Evans. I am really looking forward to stage 7 in le tour to see how the big guns are really going. And as for the Swiss race, the parcours has been alright. Does everyone complain about a climb nowadays if the gradient doesn't exceed 10%?

If Gesink can be as good as he was in the mountains at the TOC and ITT like he is currently he will definitely be a big threat. I was wrong with the Kreuziger pick but it looks like he will top 3.
Congrats to Kessiakoff who is a rider who is realising his potential.

Cancellara will own at the TDF in the ITT's ( hopefully ).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
If Gesink can be as good as he was in the mountains at the TOC and ITT like he is currently he will definitely be a big threat. I was wrong with the Kreuziger pick but it looks like he will top 3.
Congrats to Kessiakoff who is a rider who is realising his potential.

Cancellara will own at the TDF in the ITT's ( hopefully ).

Disagree, gesink's win at mt baldy was good in context, means little for his climbing at le tour. Especially with multiple climbs and a much better field.

Hrotha is right, gesink hasn't climbed that well in the past two years. Obviously there are very good explanations for this and his peaks were generally eliminated by injuries. But I myself am harly confident for gesink, we will see.

I still think the injury he had is gonna affect him in a 3 week race this year.

gregrowlerson said:
This time trial clearly shows that RS would be worth their weight in the Tour. Hopefully the politics can stay out of it. And Gesink is definitely a strong contender; possibly the biggest threat to Wiggins and Evans. I am really looking forward to stage 7 in le tour to see how the big guns are really going. And as for the Swiss race, the parcours has been alright. Does everyone complain about a climb nowadays if the gradient doesn't exceed 10%?

No, but they do think a climb that's only really 3km long doesn't deserve "HC" status (since they've already given cat.2 to the harder first 9km of the climb).

This has not been anything LIKE as bad as 2009, but the route has been mostly in the pre-Alps, we haven't seen a stage like La Punt in 2010. It's been decent, but perhaps not as endlessly mountainous as a race that was truly representative of the geography of Switzerland would be.

TRENDING THREADS