• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garcia tests positive for EPO

I havent seen another thread (which is strange considering this is big news) on this but if there is one close this.

David Garcia tests positive for the big one.EPO. He already tested positive for Hydroxethal before.

But this is EPO. Some have said riders wouldnt take epo anymore because of the blood passport and because of tests. Does this prove them wrong?

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
it's pretty obvious the only reason riders would take Hydroxethal Starch is to cover up EPO use... therefore this is not really news as it was expected... Mosquera to follow...

This was mentioned in passing in the Mosquera thread, I guess no one thought García Dapena was important enough right now.

Anyway, this would mean he made a mistake with the hydroxethal starch, right? I imagine if its purpose is to mask the use of EPO, then you shouldn't test positive for EPO. Or is it only about keeping your blood values normal in the blood tests?

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
what about Oscar Sevilla? ( I mean you think he will have an epo positive too?)

Possibly though it doesn't really make a difference... tbh I wouldn't be surprised if any Spanish rider is caught now. I smell a political cat fight and the riders are the pawns.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I havent seen another thread (which is strange considering this is big news) on this but if there is one close this.

David Garcia tests positive for the big one.EPO. He already tested positive for Hydroxethal before.

But this is EPO. Some have said riders wouldnt take epo anymore because of the blood passport and because of tests. Does this prove them wrong?

It certainly makes one wonder how many others are still dabbling in small doses of EPO. And not getting caught. The system sucks. The Blood Passport is clearly not a deterrent.

A

Anonymous

We need a general failed tests thread. Half these positives dont deserve their own thread.