• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin/Cervelo not using sponsored Rotor QRings at P-R.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that both Tyler and Thor weren't using their sponsored Rotor Q-rings for Paris-Roubaix. They instead opted for the Rotor Round Rings. I'm not sure if Van Summeren used them or not. It was hard to tell.

I was thinking about buying a pair more for helping with knee issues vs any potential benefits in speed. But if the leaders won't use them and are sponsored to do so, then obviously they are crap.

Is this normal for them not to use the Q Rings or is it just for the cobbled races due to the potential for chain drop?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
133011d1252542352-porche-lotus-god-kills-kitten-troll.jpg

A while back there was a technical article in either ProCycling or Cyclesports Magazine about elliptical rings, incl the Q-ring, compared to standard ones. In tests there was no doubt about the gain form the elliptical ones, but it also came down to being able to change the riding rythm/style - whatever you wanna call it.

As far as I remember it the riders using it at that time were quite happy about it.

Maybe there's a higher risk of the chain dropping on an elliptical ring and so there's a higher risk when riding cobbles??

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes since asking the question, I have seen Van Summeren used them, and surprise so did Devolder. A few other teams used them too, so they must be okay. I guess my knee's will be experiencing them after all.

But it still makes me wonder why some of the team leaders, despite being sponsored by Rotor, didn't use them? I will be watching to see if they do later on in the season.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
But it still makes me wonder why some of the team leaders, despite being sponsored by Rotor, didn't use them? I will be watching to see if they do later on in the season.

I have been making a mental note of who has been using them on the Cervelo team over the last two seasons and more were using Q-rings than not using. I don't take any interest now they are with Garmin.

I did notice though that Menchov is using round rings on his Fuji-Geox that is sponsored by Rotor, Carlos uses the Q-rings.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Indurain said:

I spoke to a local guy who rides for Vacansoleil and when asking about Rotor Q rings he'd say that he tried them but prefer standard ones.

It's just a matter of personal choice.

M Sport said:
I did notice though that Menchov is using round rings on his Fuji-Geox that is sponsored by Rotor, Carlos uses the Q-rings.

I think Sastre has been quoted for being very happy about the Q-rings in that article - maybe I should dig it out?

Michele said:
I spoke to a local guy who rides for Vacansoleil and when asking about Rotor Q rings he'd say that he tried them but prefer standard ones.

It's just a matter of personal choice.

I think that's probably a simplification. Most of us are change averse. The rings require you to change the way you pedal. If you don't do it (as in take the time and effort to learn to do it) properly you're not going to get an effect.

Technically speaking there should be no doubt whatsoever as to what is most effective - if used properly. The cycling world is not unknown for being extremely change averse.

Personally I'd imagine that would have a lot to do with it as well...

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I would hazard a guess that the reason they used round chainrings was a slight increase in the chance of dropping the chain on the cobbled sections with the elipitical rings and on other reason.