• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Disasters

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DirtyWorks said:
Here's a totally unsubstantiated rumor: Garmin and Cannondale to merge.

We know Cannondale's parent who owns a bunch of other bike brands is in cost-cutting mode.
Yes, that was reported in Dutch media earlier this week. Vaughters suddenly follows a bunch of Cannondale riders on twitter as well.

And Cannondale without Sagan isn't that interesting for a sponsor, I guess.

Anderis said:
It's a shame their climbing team doesn't seem to be as strong as their flat team, because it limits their chance to play some of their aggressive strategies.
That doesn't really matter. Last year they only used these strategies on one stage, which of course they won, but GC-wise it was a disaster, since their GC rider Talansky got dropped. The Tour isn't the Dauphiné, they won't win this tactically.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Who taught Talansky that move? Vande Velde or Farrar?

of course Farrar, because he tried to approach Green Edge's team bus.:eek: AT has no manner, I still remember he was verbally abusing BMC's team manager's daughter during one of the stage of ToC.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
roundabout said:
Missed the crash and the replays. So, who was it fault today?

Given that Talansky was at the rear of the riders who crashed, it looks like he slid off trying to avoid fallers in front. The crash occurred on a bend on the last descent, so they were pushing the limits on the wet roads.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
so what will garmin do now? keep riding for AT to get a top ten? or start stage hunting? I said many posts ago it is a mistake not to bring a veteran a GC back up. AT is just too young and too inexperienced to be sole team leader. AT is not AC after all.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
dduff442 said:
Given that Talansky was at the rear of the riders who crashed, it looks like he slid off trying to avoid fallers in front. The crash occurred on a bend on the last descent, so they were pushing the limits on the wet roads.
Posted on the AT thread

Jancouver said:
Konig said:

"Ale v posledním sjezdu šel přede mě ten idiot Talansky a sundal mě asi v šedesátce. ... Po čtvrteční etapě obviňoval Simona Gerranse, že ho sundal, přitom to byla jeho chyba, dneska to shodil zase. Takoví lidi tam nemají co dělat. Promluvím si s ním, nelíbí se mi to."

Translate:

"On the last descent the IDIOT Talansky took me down in about 60kmh. Yesterday he was blaming Gerrans even though it was his fault and today he took us down again. Those kind of people shouldnt be here. I have to talk to him, I dont like it"

maxmartin said:
so what will garmin do now? keep riding for AT to get a top ten? or start stage hunting? I said many posts ago it is a mistake not to bring a veteran a GC back up. AT is just too young and too inexperienced to be sole team leader. AT is not AC after all.
I think Garmin will keep riding for top10, unless Talansky is hampered by crashes to the extent that will not allow him to keep fighting. His time loses are not that dramatic. Only 2 minutes to top5. I bet he still can reach the top5 overall without doing anything extraordinary. It's a question of showing form comparable to Dauphine and avoid further problems. Though, as AT's position is not that good ATM, it wouldn't surprise if Garmin tries one of their traditional chaos race tactic. Today would be the perfect stage for that, but since tomorrow is very hard stage, I'm not sure they will like to burn too many matches too early. As I said earlier, if Talansky avoids furhter loses and is in his top shape, he can still reach top5 overall without doing anything extraordinary.

Who could be their veteran GC back up? Martin is not veteran by any mean, Danielson was not in form to be in the roster, let alone to be a GC back up. Only name that could match the criteria was Hesjedal, yet, he was only good enough to finish 9th in Giro, so it's not sure he was ever able to reach a top10 TdF level this year. And while agree they should have brought Hesjedal here, it's for different reasons than you suggest.

Don't overestimate AT's inexperience, he's already finished two GTs in top10 and won one of the biggest one-week races. How long before he could be a sole team leader?
It really makes sense to make Talansky a sole leader for TdF in these circumstances. It's not only about TdF2014, but also a long-term thinking. At first, he needs to learn how to deal with pressure of being sole TdF team-leader sooner or later. He'll learn more that way than in case of team speaking something like "we've multiple options to play, so even if Talansky fails, we have other options". Another reason was that AT's previous contract was valid until the end of 2014, and there were multiple of strong teams interested in him. Garmin was not the richest of them, so showing confidence (we believe in you and we will build the team around you), increased their chance of keeping one of the most promising riders of the team onboard.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Anderis said:
I think Garmin will keep riding for top10, unless Talansky is hampered by crashes to the extent that will not allow him to keep fighting. His time loses are not that dramatic. Only 2 minutes to top5. I bet he still can reach the top5 overall without doing anything extraordinary. It's a question of showing form comparable to Dauphine and avoid further problems.

you must be joking, lol what do you want to bet?

I never bet. :p

Look at GC. Only 3 riders are more than 2:40 in front of him. Out of these 3 you have Gallopin and Machado, both would be a big surprise if they can stay with the best in the big mountain. The next in GC is Fugsland, who has shown some kind of weakness yesterday and who can burn himself working on Nibali.
So we have one Nibali, and then Contador, Porte and Valverde who will be unlikely to catch unless they experience some kind of misfortune or an nunexpected dip in form. But the rest is less than 2 minutes in front of Talansky and you can disagree, but I feel these are all riders that Talansky can beat by 2 minutes on the remaining course if he is not hampered much by the crashes. So it wouldn't surprise me if Talansky ends up 5th (behind Nibali, Contador, Valverde and Porte) without doing anything spectacular.

Btw. what's with Acevedo? Is he injured or what? He finishes so far back on each stage. He shouldn't be dropped on a stage like today, he didn't have to do any work.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Anderis said:
I never bet. :p

Look at GC. Only 3 riders are more than 2:40 in front of him. Out of these 3 you have Gallopin and Machado, both would be a big surprise if they can stay with the best in the big mountain. The next in GC is Fugsland, who has shown some kind of weakness yesterday and who can burn himself working on Nibali.
So we have one Nibali, and then Contador, Porte and Valverde who will be unlikely to catch unless they experience some kind of misfortune or an nunexpected dip in form. But the rest is less than 2 minutes in front of Talansky and you can disagree, but I feel these are all riders that Talansky can beat by 2 minutes on the remaining course if he is not hampered much by the crashes. So it wouldn't surprise me if Talansky ends up 5th (behind Nibali, Contador, Valverde and Porte) without doing anything spectacular.

Btw. what's with Acevedo? Is he injured or what? He finishes so far back on each stage. He shouldn't be dropped on a stage like today, he didn't have to do any work.

he crashed a few days ago badly, maybe still recover. Did he also ride the Giro? That will also explains. You just can't expect too much from a young rider.

maxmartin said:
he crashed a few days ago badly, maybe still recover. Did he also ride the Giro? That will also explains. You just can't expect too much from a young rider.

It's all on the crash. He didn't do the Giro, he was 9th in California and also 9th in the Tour de Suisse as his prep for this.

I'd also point out he's 28, so he's not really a young rider.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's all on the crash. He didn't do the Giro, he was 9th in California and also 9th in the Tour de Suisse as his prep for this.

I'd also point out he's 28, so he's not really a young rider.

thanks for the info, I was not sure the giro part, that is why i asked the question.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Anderis said:
I think Garmin will keep riding for top10, unless Talansky is hampered by crashes to the extent that will not allow him to keep fighting. His time loses are not that dramatic. Only 2 minutes to top5. I bet he still can reach the top5 overall without doing anything extraordinary. It's a question of showing form comparable to Dauphine and avoid further problems. Though, as AT's position is not that good ATM, it wouldn't surprise if Garmin tries one of their traditional chaos race tactic. Today would be the perfect stage for that, but since tomorrow is very hard stage, I'm not sure they will like to burn too many matches too early. As I said earlier, if Talansky avoids furhter loses and is in his top shape, he can still reach top5 overall .

guess that is it then. Now Garmin can stage hunting doing what they do best.

TRENDING THREADS