• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gastroenteritis

Did the water supply in the whole of Europe go bad recently or are all these cases of gastro a convenient excuse to explain blood variations?

After informing the press that they brought their own food and water, Retirement Shack still got sick at Flanders.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
cases of the "winter vomiting bug" (norovirus) were the highest on record in the UK this winter beating comfortably the previous "best" in 2006.

I hadn't been sick in years and got it three times in just over a month, wife and 17 month old son twice. I work at a school and there were loads of cases this year. bloody evil. I lost 3.5kg in 24hrs.

For athletes living and working so close together plus putting their bodies under strain it came as no surprise to me to hear many of them suffering.

If one member of a team got it I would expect several others to go down as well and getting it twice in quick succession also fits in with my experience and others i know.

Cunego being the latest to be struck down with the lurgy. I don't know about these things but how creditable an excuse is it??

It does seem a bit of a coincidence that 4 team leaders are struck down within weeks of each other without any connecting factor.

ps would be very disappointed if Cunego is implicated as he is one of the few guys I have believed in these last few years. Particularly with those silly (but kinda cute) tattoos!!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
In a race, food and water bottles are passed from hand to hand. In my experience, if one member of a team has a stomach bug, the others often get it.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Interesting topick just sit on the loo untill its gone. not nice.
It spreads through a hotel or a pelaton very quickly due to close encounter.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Info

ferryman said:
Cunego being the latest to be struck down with the lurgy. I don't know about these things but how creditable an excuse is it??

It does seem a bit of a coincidence that 4 team leaders are struck down within weeks of each other without any connecting factor.

ps would be very disappointed if Cunego is implicated as he is one of the few guys I have believed in these last few years. Particularly with those silly (but kinda cute) tattoos!!

Gastroenteritis is as a rule no "excuse". It is virulent and the incubation time is short. As soon a team member gets it his team mates can also fall ill within hours and if more than one team has rooms in the same hotel the number of riders who get sick will even be bigger. :(

All the times that I have had gastro it came from bad food. It was not something that could be passed along by touch, so color me somewhat suspicious, especially when Armstrong's unexpected performance in Flanders was bracketed by two bouts with gastro.

BroDeal said:
All the times that I have had gastro it came from bad food. It was not something that could be passed along by touch, so color me somewhat suspicious, especially when Armstrong's unexpected performance in Flanders was bracketed by two bouts with gastro.

That's because you had food poisoning, not a norvirus. GE can spread very quickly simply through contact ... it's a well known entity.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Norovirus is the illness that made news when it hit cruise ships a while back. It is extremely contagious, so they had to cancel the cruise, get all the passengers off the ship, and wipe down every surface with special cleaners.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=71
Norovirus spreads swiftly wherever there are many people in a small area, including nursing homes, restaurants, hotels, dormitories ... and cruise ships.

The common cold is the only illness more common, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta estimates that there are 23 million cases of Norovirus annually.

Though Norovirus can be passed via contaminated food and water, when it comes to cruise ships it is typically spread through physical contact with ill people or surfaces/objects they may have touched. This includes shaking hands, caring for a sick friend or family member, sharing food or eating from the same utensils. . . .

Though generally moderate, symptoms are often flu-like (in fact, Norovirus is often called the "stomach flu," even though it is not related to influenza). Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps; children often vomit more than adults. A low-grade fever and headache are also possible.

Once you have been exposed to Norovirus, it takes anywhere from one to three days for its symptoms to appear; symptoms typically last only 24 to 48 hours but keep up the good hygiene -- people may be contagious for as long as two weeks after recovery.

Latest posts