• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geelong 2010: Elite Men's Road Race 262.7km

The one we have all been waiting for...

Start Time: 10:00 AEDST (Melbourne clocks go forward one hour on Saturday night so make sure to account for this)... 01:00 CET, 00:00 BST, 23:00 GMT, 19:00 EST, 16:00 PST.

Melbourne to Geelong

00000187-fullsize.jpg

map-mel-gee.jpg

Geelong Circuit 11 Laps

00000179-fullsize.jpg

road_race.jpg

Go Spartacus...

All our resident Melbournians should be out on course so enjoy the peace.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Current weather forecast for Sunday:

mainly sunny, 23deg Celsius, northerly winds averaging 45kmh

Northerly winds would be tail/cross on the stretch from Melbourne to Geelong. I'm not sure how they would affect the circuit.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
Current weather forecast for Sunday:

mainly sunny, 23deg Celsius, northerly winds averaging 45kmh

Northerly winds would be tail/cross on the stretch from Melbourne to Geelong. I'm not sure how they would affect the circuit.

Northerley winds would inidcate cross winds until we get to bacchus marsh road.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the course is turning out to be very well balanced. It's not so easy that a group sprint is guaranteed, but it's not so hard that the puncheurs can just wait for attrition to take its toll.

I still think a strong break getting away on the last or second-last lap is the most likely outcome, but we could also see an M-SR style regrouping and sprint from a reduced bunch like in the U23 race.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The course could bring riders like Bole, Sagan into the mix.
This could go terribly wrong but I tipped Mathews yesterday for the win in the under 23's, and now I go for-

1,Gilbert
2. Sagan
3.Goss
4.Hagen
5. Pozzato.

I'd love it if Dave Millar won it by jumping away late on but that may prove difficult, I still reckon Cav will find it hard to get to the end for a sprint but who knows.

Kolobnev to podium, more likely silver.

EBH to maybe podium as well

Gilbert to try attacks numurous times throughout the race.

Cancellara to go for it on the final descent. He will attack and i expect that to be the place. then tt it to the finish line.

Freire to win if its a bunch sprint.

Italy to send Visconti up the race early. Him i see as a real danger man.

roundabout said:
I like Visconti, i hope Bettini doesn't use him too early.

That would be odd. I don't know Visconti all too well, but what I've seen so far he's a rider that's able to finish fast. Good sprint and can overcome tough courses. Better to make the race as hard as you can to try to make the race selective and if it isn't selective enough Visconti is still a rider that could win it.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
After the U/23 race I think it might end up like:

Freire
Davis
Gilbert
Pozzato

Of course any 100 could launch an attack on the last lap and stay away.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, if Sagan did manage to win he would be the youngest winner ever right? Or what's the youngest winner age? Is there anyone other than Sagan that could potentially be the youngest?

From a bit of searching the youngest winner is Karel Kaers who won the 1934 world championships aged 20. Jean-Pierre Monseré and Lance Armstrong both did it just short of the 22 birthday to be 2nd and 3rd youngest respectively.
Sagan is older than Kaers was when he won it.