• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

general anesthesia?

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
For those who've gone under. Is it even describable -- perhaps as a sort semiconsciousness or a dreamlike state? Or is it a complete blackout? A void.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
They tell you to count down. You never get to zero. I don't remember what number I got to, neither do I remember when I was out completely.

On waking up from it, I remember feeling somewhat fuzzy. I would be awake for a while, then fall asleep. I did this repeatedly. It actually makes you feel somewhat weird.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Out for the count.

I was on the operating table when the anesthesiologist opened the tap on the juice. It felt real cold running into the IV on my hand and my whole arm started to ache:eek:. I remember lifting my head and turning toward him to complain, "Hey, this is really aching!" I was annoyed when he seemed to just ignore me...and that's all I remember. I must have been out within seconds and he obviously knew that I would be.:p

I've had three surgeries where I had to be put under. Only for the lumbar laminectomy did they have to put in a catheter. When I woke up and saw that hose coming out of my pecker I called the nurse and told her to take that thing out right away. They didn't want me to walk right away. No dice, made her take it out and I got up and went to the bathroom to take a leak.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I remember staring up at the ceiling tiles and they were spinning and morphing into different geometries. Sort of like a strong psychedelic trip, but different in that time was compressed instead of expanded and the visuals were less colorful. Woke up and felt fantastic. 10/10 would recommend.

Per the posts above, the start of the story varies depending on the 'how' of a general anathesia. The middle is the same, deep sleep. Waking up and the after effects of whatever general used varies. Sometimes there is a hangover, other times no.

If you come round lying on your back, don't try to sit up. It takes a little longer before you regain proper control of your limbs. I always try to sit up too soon and end up falling back down like a heavy sack of potatoes. :)

In Britain, they used to put you out before you got wheeled into the cutting room. Here in Belgium, you're actually on the slab with all the tools out and the beeps beeping before they do it. So that's a pretty unwelcome change. :D

The older I get, the more scared I get before a general. But the truth is that the experience is always the same, it's me that changes.