• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So that Matt Lawton story (remember him? The guy what Bradley Wiggins sued the pants off? Oh, hang on a mo, that never happened, did it? These alternate timelines are really doing my head in. Life was so much easier when we just had alternative truths to cope with.) is actually a lift from La Replubblica a few days ago which basically says that a nutritionist is being investigated but, since the investigation commenced, Jacobs is working with someone else in the same firm. A non-paywalled version of the lift is available here:
“Well, this is something that honestly, I am not involved with, because from the very first moment we heard about this thing that happened, we stopped working with him,” Jacobs told reporters on Saturday when asked about Spazzini.

Italian media have reported that the pair split in March when the first reports surfaced of Spazzini’s alleged involvement.

Lol, who does a homologous transfusion in 2021, that stuff has been rather easy to detect since 2004 (when they busted Tyler and Santi Perez for it).
That’s right, and of course our legendary Vino was found to have not just one, but two other people’s blood in his blood:) I wish I could find the source for his alleged explanation (now I don’t remember if it was really him saying it) that there was a massive crash he was in with blood all over the road and that’s why they found bin-Vino blood in his system:) as I said I don’t know if he really said that, but if true it’s so audacious it should be in the top ten doping excuses!

That’s right, and of course our legendary Vino was found to have not just one, but two other people’s blood in his blood:) I wish I could find the source for his alleged explanation (now I don’t remember if it was really him saying it) that there was a massive crash he was in with blood all over the road and that’s why they found bin-Vino blood in his system:) as I said I don’t know if he really said that, but if true it’s so audacious it should be in the top ten doping excuses!
I still find it hard to believe that 2007 Astana were that stupid, I still think that they just got Vino's and Kash's respective bloodbags with their own blood mixed up.

Reactions: Sciatic
Reactions: Danskebjerge
Lol, who does a homologous transfusion in 2021, that stuff has been rather easy to detect since 2004 (when they busted Tyler and Santi Perez for it).
I still find it hard to believe that 2007 Astana were that stupid, I still think that they just got Vino's and Kash's respective bloodbags with their own blood mixed up.
Ah yes, those were interesting times. I don't know if it was ever 100% confirmed, but so obvious that in both instances, teammates were both busted for homologous blood doping, that it just screamed blood bag mix up! Anyhow, just more evidence that failing doping tests is like failing an IQ test - stupid gets you caught.

As for Vino, I also recall the excuse being open wounds and possible blood contamination with other riders. That is actually much more believable than an absorbed twin or just drinking too much Jack Daniels :p

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Sciatic
ITA Tweeted that Chijindu Ujah (GB) had popped a positive in Tokyo. Then they deleted the Tweet...

The press release appears to be still live.

The ITA asserts an apparent ADRV against British track and field athlete Ujah Chijindu

THE INTERNATIONAL TESTING AGENCY (ITA) REPORTS THAT A SAMPLE COLLECTED FROM UJAH CHIJINDU, SPRINTER FROM GREAT BRITAIN, HAS RETURNED AN ADVERSE ANALYTICAL FINDING (AAF) FOR SARMS ENOBOSARM (OSTARINE) AND SARMS S-23 (S.2 “OTHER ANABOLIC AGENTS” – “SELECTIVE ANDROGEN RECEPTOR MODULATORS”).

The sample was collected by the ITA under the Testing Authority of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) during an in-competition anti-doping control on 6 August 2021 in Tokyo, Japan, following the final of the Men’s 4 x 100m Relay Final of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. The result was reported by the WADA-accredited laboratory of Tokyo on 8 August 2021.

The athlete has the right to request the analysis of the B-sample.

If requested by the athlete and if the B-sample analysis confirms the AAF, or alternatively if the athlete does not wish to have the B-sample analysis undertaken, the case will be referred to the Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS ADD) for adjudication under the IOC Anti-Doping Rules applicable to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (IOC ADR).

The CAS ADD will consider the matter of the finding of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) and the disqualification of the Men’s 4 x 100 Relay results of the British team. In this regard, pursuant to the IOC ADR and the World Athletics Anti-Doping Rules: “where the athlete who has committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation competed as a member of a relay team, the relay team shall be automatically disqualified from the Event in question, with all resulting consequences for the relay team, including the forfeiture of all titles, awards, medals, points and prize and appearance money”.

Once the matter is settled under the IOC ADR, the case will be referred to the Athletics Integrity Unit (World Athletics) to follow up on sanctions beyond the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.

Given that the case is underway, there will be no further comments during the ongoing proceeding.

Edit: a new Tweet replaced the old

View: https://twitter.com/IntTestAgency/status/1425855587108196352

Zen and the Art of Performance Enhancement:
Speaking before the Tokyo Games, Ujah had revealed how Zen Buddhism and morning meditation had helped him to return close to his best in 2021 after an underwhelming few years since 2017, during which he had won both the Diamond League title and a 4x100m world championship gold medal. "Since January I have listened to a lot of podcasts and an audiobook which is just looking at Zen Buddhism, that state of meditation. Those are things I’m kind of into and it’s helping me. It’s about remaining calm in situations where it may not be so calm. This is the most confident I’ve ever felt in my track career.”
Link

Did a bit of Ostarine myself in my younger days, found some capsules online because I wanted to impress some girls by getting big and strong and didn't fancy the roids.

*** just made me really depressed, stopped after a month or so, don't do drugs kids.

I remember Tom Lawlor (MMA) getting done for this a while back, very detectable surely? Also heard anecdotally of this being used to maintain when off-cycle.

Triathlon's naughty step is getting a bit crowded. Ukraine's Yuliya Yelistratova was already occupying it, now she's joined by Russia's Igor Polyanskiy. What's his face will be here soon to proclaim Polyanskiy's innocence and declare this is an imperial plot blah blah blah propaganda yada yada yada conspiracy etc etc etc.

Ignoring the geo-political conspiracy theories, besides a Russian popping a positive what's interesting is that both triathletes have been busted for the same drug: EPO.

View: https://twitter.com/Timheming/status/1425928810638229513

Did a bit of Ostarine myself in my younger days, found some capsules online because I wanted to impress some girls by getting big and strong and didn't fancy the roids.

*** just made me really depressed, stopped after a month or so, don't do drugs kids.

I remember Tom Lawlor (MMA) getting done for this a while back, very detectable surely? Also heard anecdotally of this being used to maintain when off-cycle.
You can stil find it in an urine sample 2 weeeks later after a single dose of 30mg, so yeah, not exactly the smartest compound to pick.

There was a fighter who was cleared because he was able to show it turned up in one of his supplements, and USADA went to the trouble of buying the same supplement in and found it themselves in that batch.

In this case however I find it hard to believe this is accidental based on the information I can find. British athletics partner with Healthspan for nutrition who batch-test all their Healthspan Elite supplements and are listed on the Informed Sport website as a certified brand. Are we to believe that British Athletics don't give their sprinters all the supplements they need and don't educate them about the risk of using uncertified supplements?

Reactions: noob
  • Wow
Reactions: noob
In this case however I find it hard to believe this is accidental based on the information I can find. British athletics partner with Healthspan for nutrition who batch-test all their Healthspan Elite supplements and are listed on the Informed Sport website as a certified brand. Are we to believe that British Athletics don't give their sprinters all the supplements they need and don't educate them about the risk of using uncertified supplements?

Well, I don't know the brands that they use in that partnership but a quick search on Healthspan website didn't find no product of Creatine and that's an essential supplement for a track & field sprinter, so they most likely need to resort to other brands at least with that specific one.

Well, I don't know the brands that they use in that partnership but a quick search on Healthspan website didn't find no product of Creatine and that's an essential supplement for a track & field sprinter, so they most likely need to resort to other brands at least with that specific one.
That's a good catch. I still doubt he's buying some random, cheap supplements and doesn't know about the Informed Sport testing and certification, but if that's the case British Athletics need to sort themselves out.

Important news from today's WADA ExCo meeting: real-time ABP access to be restricted:
Access to Athlete Biological Passport Blood Data

The ExCo approved a change removing athletes’ real-time access permissions to their Athlete Biological Passport (ABP) hematological data in the Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS). Evidence from the ‘Operation Aderlass’ investigation revealed that some athletes were able to monitor this data in ADAMS, with the help of support personnel, in order to calibrate their doping strategy and avoid detection. Under the International Standard for the Protection of Privacy and Personal Information, as well as privacy and data protection laws, athletes maintain the right to access their personal information but this right does not require that the data be directly or immediately accessible via ADAMS. Athletes will continue to be able to submit a request to the relevant ADO within 30 days for a copy of their ABP blood data, which will greatly reduce the value of that information for use as part of a doping strategy.
This came up on another thread recently where it was claimed athletes don't have real time access. Looks like time has actually caught up enough to make that lie true. Hurrah.

TRENDING THREADS