• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Only took over 2 years for it to be finally agreed on. I don't like this punishment at all. Just a money maker for the UCI as much as it is a deterrent.

Reactions: annikae
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
Only took over 2 years for it to be finally agreed on. I don't like this punishment at all. Just a money maker for the UCI as much as it is a deterrent.

I disagree. I think that this is the best punishment possible beyond the life ban. I don't think that it's hard enough though, and I think that it could include a monetary sanction for the team. Maybe that way the "internal controls" could begin to fulfill their theoretical target.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
He also said that Sastre has failed to/insufficiently acknowledge(d) their [the Schleck Bro's] efforts in making his TdF win possible...

The Sastre who could've attacked on the Restefond when everyone was at their limits, but first was polite enough to ask for permissionfrom the maillot jaune? The Sastre who at that moment was asked not to attack by Frank, agreed, sat in and lost a great chance to win the Tour right there and then.

That Sastre? Or some other Sastre?

Yes, clearly a horrible teammate that Carlos.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The Sastre who could've attacked on the Restefond when everyone was at their limits, but first was polite enough to ask for permission from the maillot jaune? The Sastre who at that moment was asked not to attack by Frank, agreed, sat in and lost a great chance to win the Tour right there and then.

That Sastre? Or some other Sastre?

Yes, clearly a horrible teammate that Carlos.

That must have been the Sastre Andy was referring to. I am unaware of the existence of any other former CSC tour winning Sastre, but I could be mistaken...

Is there a growing dislike for Sastre in the peloton, or is it just Riis and co?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
That must have been the Sastre Andy was referring to. I am unaware of the existence of any other former CSC tour winning Sastre, but I could be mistaken...

Considering alternate realities, the possibilites are endless :D

Bala Verde said:
Is there a growing dislike for Sastre in the peloton, or is it just Riis and co?

Seems to be limited to Saxo Bank.
And since we're on Saxo Bank, Guldhammer a few days ago flat out said he didn't sign with Saxo Bank because he heard very bad things about the team.

I'm guessing from his teammate Martin Pedersen who used to ride for CSC.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
He also said that Sastre has failed to/insufficiently acknowledge(d) their [the Schleck Bro's] efforts in making his TdF win possible...

Yeah, that seemed like a wholly unnecessary addition - way to stay classy, Schlecklet. :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

Probably mainly CSC, the conflict between CSC and Sastre isn't remotely new. It seems to origin pre the 2008 tour where Sastre wanted to be the undisputed captain and Riis wanted to keep his options (read The Schlecks) open. Before this the barbs I've heard have mainly been from Sastre against Riis, claiming he was working against him in the 2008 vuelta, but it doesn't suprise me to see Schlecklet throwing darts too. He has an obvious part in the conflict after all.

Cartesian Centaur said:
Yeah, that seemed like a wholly unnecessary addition - way to stay classy, Schlecklet. :rolleyes:

Yep, a classy rider wouldn't proclaim himself "the best climber in the world" after getting dropped by his major adversary on the big race's first summit finish.

Maybe Sastre should be thanking Schecklet for losing major minutes earlier in the 2008 Tour eliminating himself from overall contention
thus making Sastre Saxo Bank's last and only chance of winning the Tour by the time of the Alpe D'Huez stage.

This sounds strangely like a certain someone who insists that another certain someone should have been thanking his teammates for their contribution to his Tour victory, although the first certain someone neglected to make an appearance at the victory dinner because he was too busy celebrating the creation of his own team for the 2010 season.

Angliru said:
Yep, a classy rider wouldn't proclaim himself "the best climber in the world" after getting dropped by his major adversary on the big race's first summit finish.

Maybe Sastre should be thanking Schecklet for losing major minutes earlier in the 2008 Tour eliminating himself from overall contention
thus making Sastre Saxo Bank's last and only chance of winning the Tour by the time of the Alpe D'Huez stage.

This sounds strangely like a certain someone who insists that another certain someone should have been thanking his teammates for their contribution to his Tour victory, although the first certain someone neglected to make an appearance at the victory dinner because he was too busy celebrating the creation of his own team for the 2010 season.

I just want to say how refreshing it is to be talking about other people in conflict besides the LA/AC/JB row.

Maybe there can be a thread, Peloton Peyton Place sans Lance.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

Hopefully the situation's not quite that bad - otherwise we'd have been hearing about how Sastre stole Andy's energy gels on Hautacam. Schlecklet's probably still just about young enough to be a kid who doesn't know when to shut up, rather than just an unmitigated douchenozzle.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
“We didn’t get along. I never understood what was his problem,” he explained. “He won the Tour and everyone who watched the television and knows a bit about cycling could see that we sacrificed ourselves for him. And then he went to the press and said things that didn’t make sense, like that we did not want to work for him. We were one hundred percent with him, working for him. He has a problem in his head!

“Frank was pretty good that day [on Alpe d’Huez]. He could have won the Tour, but Carlos attacked, won and that’s it. All happy. It bothered us what he said in the press.”

what he's saying makes sense, we all saw what a great job they did in marking the attacks of the other riders, so you can understand their frustration after sastre said something like that

franciep10 said:
““Frank was pretty good that day [on Alpe d’Huez]. He could have won the Tour, but Carlos attacked, won and that’s it. All happy. It bothered us what he said in the press.”

The only way Frank could have won the Tour was if Evans completely blew up on Alpe D'Huez, which he didn't and/or crashed out during the final ITT, which he didn't. Frank's ITT was so horrible he dropped about 4 places in the GC so of course this is just little brother giving his big bro some dapp that is clearly not based in reality.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
“We didn’t get along. I never understood what was his problem,” he explained. “He won the Tour and everyone who watched the television and knows a bit about cycling could see that we sacrificed ourselves for him. And then he went to the press and said things that didn’t make sense, like that we did not want to work for him. We were one hundred percent with him, working for him. He has a problem in his head!

“Frank was pretty good that day [on Alpe d’Huez]. He could have won the Tour, but Carlos attacked, won and that’s it. All happy. It bothered us what he said in the press.”

what he's saying makes sense, we all saw what a great job they did in marking the attacks of the other riders, so you can understand their frustration after sastre said something like that

Well, some of it makes sense, but I'd say Sastre's probably right about them not really wanting to work for him. Obviously they did, but somehow I think that Andy would have preferred to be working for Fränk. Yeah, Sastre didn't need to talk to the press about it, but that doesn't make it untrue, nor does it make him crazy.

I'm not convinced by his suggestion that Fränk could have won, either. It was pretty obvious that Andy was in great shape on the Alpe, but I don't remember thinking Fränk looked like he could ride away from everyone else.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hoogerland lashes out at RAB. He rode 2 seasons for RAB as a junior and in 2001, aged 18, he was forced to leave even after his RvV win. In 2001 a doping control revealed a suspicious epi/test ratio, for which he now has a medical attest (it was proven that he has naturally high levels)

"Rabobank heeft me keihard laten vallen."

"Rabobank dropped me like a stone."

"Ze hebben me geen seconde gesteund, terwijl ze dat wel tegen me hadden gezegd. Ik stond er helemaal alleen voor. Ik vind het niet normaal dat je zo met een jonge renner omgaat."

"They never supported me, not for a second, while they had promised me they would. I was left out in the cold, all by myself. That's no way to treat young riders."

"Ze hadden de positieve test nooit bekend hoeven te maken. Ze hadden het onderzoek waaruit bleek dat de verstoorde verhouding lichaamseigen was kunnen afwachten. Dan was er nooit iets aan de hand geweest."

"There was no reason to prematurely release the results of the positive test. They could have waited for the second test which showed that the distorted values occurred naturally. Then nothing would have happened" [ie he would not have had a bad rep]

According to Jan Raas he should have sued them for libel/slander, to which Hoogerand replies "I might have won that case"

Hoogerland is going to train in Spain in a couple of weeks to lay the basis for success in the classics.

abstract and quotes in Dutch

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but you probably can't sue your team for libel/slander without getting yourself a bad reputation as an 18-year-old troublemaker, even if you are right and the team is wrong.

Does everybody in pro cycling have naturally high hematocrit? Wait, never mind. That's a question for the clinic.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
The only way Frank could have won the Tour was if Evans completely blew up on Alpe D'Huez, which he didn't and/or crashed out during the final ITT, which he didn't. Frank's ITT was so horrible he dropped about 4 places in the GC so of course this is just little brother giving his big bro some dapp that is clearly not based in reality.

It seems that Andy's just angry because his beloved brother wasn't able to win the Tour, while Sastre was. Given that their relationship with Sastre wasn't, erm, good, then he's dreaming with an impossible win. Meh, nepotism at its highest form.

Bala Verde said:
Hoogerland is going to train in Spain in a couple of weeks to lay the basis for success in the classics.

Come Johnny, Spain is such a wonderful place to train, and it seems that it works fine to train here... :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

i disagree with stickying this personally, its already three pages, by november its going to be 30 pages, by december 150 pages and will be a mire of ramblings and stupidity..

while i agree that we dont need a seperate thread everytime contador blows his knows, or every time lance does a ****, im not sure that a general thread wont become a terribly drawn out, long winded, rambling assortment of oddness...

a generall news thread is interesting, as long as it is used it will be on the front page anyway...

stickies annoy me most of the time..

Reactions: maddistrong

TRENDING THREADS