• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Field 2023 March 26, 260.9 km (1.WT)

e1Mq0F0o_o.png

Startlist

Unfortunately, it now looks like the race will dodge the worst of the weather - it should still be quite wet, especially in the earlier stages, but the wind should mostly die down before tomorrow morning and stay quite weak for most of the race. Does look like the wind will increase a bit by the end (nowhere near what it's been most of the week though) for a mild headwind from the final Kemmelberg to Ieper and then a crosswind from there to Wevelgem.

Reactions: postmanhat
Unfortunately, it now looks like the race will dodge the worst of the weather - it should still be quite wet, especially in the earlier stages, but the wind should mostly die down before tomorrow morning and stay quite weak for most of the race. Does look like the wind will increase a bit by the end (nowhere near what it's been most of the week though) for a mild headwind from the final Kemmelberg to Ieper and then a crosswind from there to Wevelgem.

It should still rain all day, ok more in the morning than in the afternoon, but with it only being 7 degrees it should still make it a hard edition. Just no echelon action probably.

Yes, and no crosswind at De Moeren.

I'm really looking forward to this. A combo of start list, race profile and weather could make this one of the highlights of the 2023 race season. Looking at the start list:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gent-wevelgem/2023/result/startlist/riders-ranked

Van Aert - would normally be a clear favorite but did use a lot of energy yesterday.
De Lie and Philpsen - usually not the strongest, but did not compete yesterday and should be well rested
Pedersen - did compete yesterday, but probably without using as much energy as Van Aert, Mohoric, etc. Good results in bad weather.
Kristoff - DNF yesterday, usually excellent in shitty weather
Küng - usually very strong, but did use a lot energy yesterday. Not sure how he is in bad and cold weather.
Laporte - same as Pedersen, not sure how he is in bad weather.
Mohoric - same as Küng, probably uses a lot of energy yesterday.
Ganna - should be a candidate for a very long range attack, not sure how he is in bad weather.
Wellens - DNF yesterday, often excellent in shitty weather.

Other Belgians like Stuyven, Lampaert, etc. could also be candidates. Along with Asgreen and Kragh. All in all a very interesting start list with a lot of potential candidates.

* * * * * - Jasper Philipsen
* * * * - Wout van Aert, Mads Pedersen
* * * - Tim Merlier, Arnaud De Lie, Filippo Ganna
* * - Christophe Laporte, Danny van Poppel, Olav Kooij, Biniam Girmay
* - Søren Kragh, Davide Ballerini, Iván García Cortina, Matej Mohorič, Alexander Kristoff

* * * * * - Jasper Philipsen
* * * * - Wout van Aert, Mads Pedersen
* * * - Tim Merlier, Arnaud De Lie, Filippo Ganna
* * - Christophe Laporte, Danny van Poppel, Olav Kooij, Biniam Girmay
* - Søren Kragh, Davide Ballerini, Iván García Cortina, Matej Mohorič, Alexander Kristoff
Might also add Jasper Stuyven. He crashed yesterday at a bad moment. When they go on the Kemmelberg, he should be one of the better riders there.

And I read that Kragh Anderson's peak will be later for the hilly classics. Offcourse he's already very good, but now I'm curious what he can do in Flanders if he peaks for this week.

Reactions: postmanhat
Might also add Jasper Stuyven. He crashed yesterday at a bad moment. When they go on the Kemmelberg, he should be one of the better riders there.

And I read that Kragh Anderson's peak will be later for the hilly classics. Offcourse he's already very good, but now I'm curious what he can do in Flanders if he peaks for this week.
I hope Stuyven will be strong here, but I don't see him get a better opportunity than last year. And he wasn't even close, really.

Btw, why didn't he race P-N or T-A?

I see he has been at altitude: https://racing.trekbikes.com/stories/trek-segafredo-men/two-leaders-two-approaches-to-la-primavera

Stuyven, on the other hand, elected to build his condition through a series of altitude camps and will arrive in Milan with only three race days in 2023. Each rider is different, and what works for one may not work another. Stuyven knows his body well, and has decided that a meticulous build up is the best option to reach his best condition.

“I prepared with a long training camp in Teide, Opening Weekend and then another training camp at an altitude hotel in Dénia,” explained Stuyven. “I chose this approach because it allows me to prepare more precisely with more structured training and save mental freshness until Roubaix. I’m feeling pretty good in training and I’m happy with my shape so I’m looking forward to starting the race in Milan. It’s nice to arrive at the start line without any doubts. I’m hoping for a scenario in which one of us can win the race.”

~~~

I favour him more for Dwars.

Reactions: search and Didinho
I'm really looking forward to this. A combo of start list, race profile and weather could make this one of the highlights of the 2023 race season. Looking at the start list:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gent-wevelgem/2023/result/startlist/riders-ranked

Van Aert - would normally be a clear favorite but did use a lot of energy yesterday.
De Lie and Philpsen - usually not the strongest, but did not compete yesterday and should be well rested
Pedersen - did compete yesterday, but probably without using as much energy as Van Aert, Mohoric, etc. Good results in bad weather.
Kristoff - DNF yesterday, usually excellent in shitty weather
Küng - usually very strong, but did use a lot energy yesterday. Not sure how he is in bad and cold weather.
Laporte - same as Pedersen, not sure how he is in bad weather.
Mohoric - same as Küng, probably uses a lot of energy yesterday.
Ganna - should be a candidate for a very long range attack, not sure how he is in bad weather.
Wellens - DNF yesterday, often excellent in shitty weather.

Other Belgians like Stuyven, Lampaert, etc. could also be candidates. Along with Asgreen and Kragh. All in all a very interesting start list with a lot of potential candidates.

Jasper P looked really good at BDP so my bet’s on him

I hope Stuyven will be strong here, but I don't see him get a better opportunity than last year. And he wasn't even close, really.

Btw, why didn't he race P-N or T-A?
He was close to the podium.

He thinks it's the best approach for him till the classics. He was a little bit gassed before Roubaix, his favorite race. Starting later, he doesn't need PN or TA to get in shape he says. And better weather in Spain than in France or Italy, where there are only few opportunities for classics riders to win a stage.

Could we see a breakaway of contenders/outsiders forming already on the first or second pass of Kemmelberg? For example riders like Wellens, Asgreen, Ganna, etc? Forcing a big chase of these guys by Jumbo, Alpecin, Lotto and shattering the peloton for the last 30-40 km of the race.

TRENDING THREADS