• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent-Wevelgem

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Instead of the tour of Flanders starting the spring classics Gent-wevelgem will take place on march 28. your thoughts good move or not. Personally I think the risk of top riders getting injured before Flanders is a risk.

franciep10 said:
Instead of the tour of Flanders starting the spring classics Gent-wevelgem will take place on march 28. your thoughts good move or not. Personally I think the risk of top riders getting injured before Flanders is a risk.

Well, the old schedule was RvV, G-W, P-R, so the risk of missing a big race (P-R) due to injury in G-W was always there. If somebody is worried about it, they'll skip G-W.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BeachBum said:
Well, the old schedule was RvV, G-W, P-R, so the risk of missing a big race (P-R) due to injury in G-W was always there. If somebody is worried about it, they'll skip G-W.

I personally rather RvV, I'm used to the old set up anyway it will be a great april as it always is.

franciep10 said:

Flanders was never the start of the classics. There are quite a few races before then that are well resppected races. The classics season usually starts with Het Volk.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Flanders was never the start of the classics. There are quite a few races before then that are well resppected races. The classics season usually starts with Het Volk.

I know that, but April is the major month for classics, just like the races in June are warm ups for the tour, i think it is similar to march being a warm up for april

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
I think in the very old days, it was already in the same order. So back to the roots in some way.

Maybe the E3-Prijs shall suffer from this but I'm not so sure.

The E3-prijs remains the best preparation for the Ronde: 12 hills in the last 80km and almost every year hard man-to-man battles. I don't think a RvV favourite will switch it for GW. And IMO E3 has less risks of injuries in comparison to GW (crosswind, more nervous, bunch sprint).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to see the change. It used to be the case that you could spend a week in Belgium, base yourself in one spot and cycling to catch the three races (RvV/GW/PR) at really exciting points, and only have to take 4 days off work to do so, fewer depending on work, the fall of Easter and local holidays (obviously written from a European perspective).

I did it last year (fortunate timing) and met quite a few doing the same thing. It crammed a lot in a few days, but with enough time for tackling some of the bergs and cobbles, sight seeing, and recovery. Now that isn't a real possibility, and I think that GW will suffer in attendance apart from TV, as, to judge by the crowds on the Kemmelberg, no-one in Belgium works when there is a big race on, and the reality is many who are travelling to Flanders for a cycle race, or even two, are more likely to target the following week.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
I'm sorry to see the change. It used to be the case that you could spend a week in Belgium, base yourself in one spot and cycling to catch the three races (RvV/GW/PR) at really exciting points, and only have to take 4 days off work to do so, fewer depending on work, the fall of Easter and local holidays (obviously written from a European perspective).

I did it last year (fortunate timing) and met quite a few doing the same thing. It crammed a lot in a few days, but with enough time for tackling some of the bergs and cobbles, sight seeing, and recovery. Now that isn't a real possibility, and I think that GW will suffer in attendance apart from TV, as, to judge by the crowds on the Kemmelberg, no-one in Belgium works when there is a big race on, and the reality is many who are travelling to Flanders for a cycle race, or even two, are more likely to target the following week.

*Starts making plans to move to Belgium*

Every Belgian I met treats me like I'm a long lost cousin and how I apparently look similar toTom Boonen, I will fit right in. Plus I like beer.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Every Belgian I met treats me like I'm a long lost cousin and how I apparently look similar toTom Boonen, I will fit right in. Plus I like beer.

What you saying?....you look like a coke head!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Looking like Tom Boonen and liking beer - that's two out of three parts of being a hero of the Belgian people. Do you like weird sauces on your chips / fries? If the answer is yes, you could apply for the job of King of the Belgians:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
Looking like Tom Boonen and liking beer - that's two out of three parts of being a hero of the Belgian people. Do you like weird sauces on your chips / fries? If the answer is yes, you could apply for the job of King of the Belgians:D

Yes as in trying it, then yes as well.

TRENDING THREADS