• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geox and ASO - what's giving?

After being snubbed for the Tour de France, Geox is now also being snubbed for all the spring classics that are organised by ASO.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-roubaix-fleche-and-liege-teams-announced

What's the deal here? Are the hellbend on making sure Geox quits as a sponsor as quickly as possible? Is it all down to Mauro Gianetti being the director? If yes, then how come they did invite Footon in 2010 (totally unexpectedly I might add) and pass up on Geox now they have far bigger names in the squad? :confused:

I just can't wrap my head around it. Thoughts anyone?

Regards
GJ

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
GJB123 said:
After being snubbed for the Tour de France, Geox is now also being snubbed for all the spring classics that are organised by ASO.

What's the deal here? Are the hellbend on making sure Geox quits as a sponsor as quickly as possible? Is it all down to Mauro Gianetti being the director? If yes, then how come they did invite Footon in 2010 (totally unexpectedly I might add) and pass up on Geox now they have far bigger names in the squad? :confused:

Regards
GJ

It is about Gianetti. However last year with Footon they were obliged to invite him due to an old agreement on guaranteed invites. Otherwise Footon would probably not be invited to any of the grand tours and most other large scale events

GJB123 said:

Regards
GJ

Footon had a old deal with ASO that was signed when pro tour started. That deal was that all 18? orginal should be able too start all pro tour event for the next four years. Why no invite this year? I think it is becauce ASO last year wanted footon to give up some races like Paris roubaix and the tour. And this year geox is paying for the weak team last year.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
ridicolous. Gianetti is a doper like most other from that generation (sadly). And if they still have a problem that he once hired Riccò, then what about Vacansoleil?

What is outrageous is the message to potential future team sponsor. A very bad message. I really don't get it, I always thought ASO is about money and not about principles... whatever... at least Paris-Nice or LBL would have been nice with Denis and/or Carlos as well as Rafael Valls.

Cycling needs a strong new man (with no "strong" in his name) to clean up the UCI, ASO, etc. mess. But realisticly, nothing will change. ASO has probably more power than UCI with all their races.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Gianetti is soooo blacklisted... and the behavior of UCI and ASO is a shame... only 1 guy affects an entire team ergo the work of the 24-26 riders and with that their lifes... Well this year Geox will score so many points that they will HAVE TO BE in the ProTour next year...