• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geox on the flats

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So while Geox can easily prevent Froome launching off on the Pena Cabarga with the likes Menchov, Sastre, Duarte and de la Fuente, how strong are they on the flats to prevent Sky from taking the intermediate sprint bonuses and even the final stage bonuses if they get desperate?

Menchov is quite strong on the flats too but obviously he won't work unless its absolutely needed. Others like Brandle and Kozontchuk will ride tempo daily as Cobo has the red jersey, but how strong are they when the situation arises where they have to reel in an escape attempt by Sky who are considerably stronger on the flat?

The Liquigas coup last week will give a lot of confidence to Sky to try something as well, they have nothing to lose.

Geox wouldn't be alone. Mollema still has a chance of being on the podium if Sky doesn't fly away - Rabobank would pull. Leopard has pulled with less incentive before, and they have Bennati. Same for Liquigas with Sagan. Not to mention the countless mercenaries Geox could gather.

Froome might be able to get some bonus seconds in the intermediate sprints, but I doubt he'd be the only one trying.

i agree that sky might rip the race apart in the basque country if they won't succeed in pena cabarga.
i definitely can see wiggins or froome attacking on the flat an isolated cobo and tt'ing untill the finish.
so yeah basque country will be exciting after all.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Only chance Sky has if there will be echelons because of the cross winds imo. Don't even know what do you think will happen at the intermediate sprints. Sky going to the front and Froome just taking it? First of all, Sky qould have to reel back the escapes if they want bonus seconds. Second, if they reel back the escape in time (doubtful) how would Froome outsprint guys like Sagan, Mollema, Fuglsang etc.?

Give it up, Sky is not going to win. Cobo is too strong and Geox is a stronger team this race.

They'd best be keeping attention to Mollema/Menchov for the final podium spot. If they, Wiggins or Froome, attack like crazy to try and break Cobo, it might cost them the podium if they blow.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i agree that sky might rip the race apart in the basque country if they won't succeed in pena cabarga.
i definitely can see wiggins or froome attacking on the flat an isolated cobo and tt'ing untill the finish.

Why would Cobo be isolated? And neither Froome nor Wiggins will be allowed to get away. That's why it's great Geox has Menchov, he will react instantly if one of the above mentioned 2 try to get away. Plus i think teams like Rabo or Leopard might help Geox if they have a slight hope to put a guy on the podium.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
because i have a feeling no one besides cobo and menchov will be able to respond to the sky duo when they will attack.wiggins won't face an angliru again,he will become even better,same for froome.

I'm not sure where that comes from and why would Froome suddenly get even better. We can talk about how Wiggins and Froome do in a TT against the peloton (Not so well. If they would have a real shot at this then attempts like this happen in every GT and they don't.) but they won't be allowed to get away so...

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

Cobo will never be isolated from Menchov. Menchov is climbing better than Friggins now. He will chase back any attack from Sky.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
What if everyone else attacks Cobo not just Sky... Don't think he will be that hot if it gets lined out in the gutter with guys attacking off the front on the flat.. About six or 7 guys still in the Hunt if it splits up in a Crosswind..

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
My way of looking at it is. You attack a Guys Weakness not his Strengths..Cobo just don't look like hes built for some nasty play on the Flats...

Cobo was in the top 25 of a dead-flat time trial earlier this Vuelta.:rolleyes:

Plus, you can't gain as much time as the flat as you gain in the mountains. Certainly not with a team like Geox who will make sure Cobo stays in the front

I think you're suffering from wishfull thinking. If there's any chance, then it's that Cobo breaks somehow on Pena Cabarga. Would not be the first leader this Vuelta to suddenly have a bad day

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
3wheeler said:
What if everyone else attacks Cobo not just Sky... Don't think he will be that hot if it gets lined out in the gutter with guys attacking off the front on the flat.. About six or 7 guys still in the Hunt if it splits up in a Crosswind..

Yeah, i saw it happen a lot. 6 or 7 GC guys attacking the leader at the same time. I'd call itt pretty usual.:D

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Its an Unsual sort of Race Though..!! Who would of predicted this Senario in Benidorm.. They just ainnt going to sit there and give it to him..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sultanofhyd said:
Its true that Geox will keep Cobo at the front at all times, and that is what is going to tire them out.

C'mon guys. When was the last time when you saw a GT leader lose his position in the third week on flat/hilly parts? Be realistic.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
3wheeler said:
Its an Unsual sort of Race Though..!! Who would of predicted this Senario in Benidorm.. They just ainnt going to sit there and give it to him..

Not sure about that one. You see 5 days of furious attacks coming, i don't.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't often see GC attacks on flat stages in the last week, but you don't often see the 2nd placed rider just 20 seconds off the leader either.

I think its pretty naive to think that Sky won't try, this is such a great chance that Froome and Sky may never get again.

I'm not saying it's easy, far from that, but atleast they will try.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cobo is strong an he ll be fine on the flats no doubt, downhill Nibali will drop him but hes obviously a superior downhiller to Wiggins and Froome who will not be able to shake Cobo,
there only realistic chance is to drop him at Pena Carbaga or into Bilbao if he is not as strong as the sky duo, Noja is also a minor opportunity

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
gilbertador said:
Cobo is strong an he ll be fine on the flats no doubt, downhill Nibali will drop him but hes obviously a superior downhiller to Wiggins and Froome who will not be able to shake Cobo,
there only realistic chance is to drop him at Pena Carbaga or into Bilbao if he is not as strong as the sky duo, Noja is also a minor opportunity

They do not need to beat him mano-a-mano, attack while he is at the back of the pack, push the pace before the intermediate sprints and try and cause a split etc. Obviously you can't control whether he makes the split or not, but no harm in trying.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree Sky will try something but i don't think they will succeed. Also, somebody wrote that 6 or 7 guys (from different teams) will gang up on Cobo on the flat and go crazy and i really doubt that.